: Ignition switch for a 1977 DeVille

Kriek
05-07-06, 04:36 PM
Where, exactly, is the ignition switch for the '77 DeVille? I'm tearing apart the dash and can't find it. Do I need to remove the steering wheel? If so, do I need any special tools for that?
Thanks!

- Jon and Sara

BluEyes
05-08-06, 06:26 AM
The switch itself is mounted to the top of the steering collumn down under the dash. When you turn the key, that turns a gear which moves a rod that goes down to the switch and moves the electrical connections.

Might be time for a factory service manual from Ebay, or at least a Chiltons (although the Chiltons for these cars covers so many years that it is next to useless most of the time)

Kriek
05-08-06, 07:21 AM
Thanks, before we could get back online we found it. Without removing the switch itself I pulled the two connectors off. When I put them back it started right up. Loose contacts? I have a Haynes Manual, but it didn’t cover the ignition switch. Thanks again.

- Jon and Sara

Junkman
05-12-06, 04:43 PM
Many times just pulling the terminals off and reinstalling them will resolve the problem. Just make sure that the car doesn't start in drive or reverse, because if it does, the neutral safety switch, which is part of that system will need to be readjusted. I had a car that you could start in reverse, but not park, because the neutral safety switch was misaligned. Junk..