: CTS-V Caddy brakes on a C5?

Nabbs
05-07-06, 12:33 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am trying to figure out if the V and Corvette brakes are interchangeable. Specifically the idea of taking a set of V brakes and putting them on a C5. However, logic would dictate that if the V brakes fit on the C5, C6 Z06 brakes would fit on the V as they are a direct bolt-on for the C5.

I already know the V's rotors will not fit as a result of your 6-lug bolt pattern, but does anybody know if the front and rear calipers bolt-in?

Thanks much in advance.

-N

Nabbs
05-07-06, 04:28 PM
Ok, how about this:

Has anyone put C5 brakes on a CTS or put C6 Z06 brakes on a CTS-V?

Surely somebody has looked at the two before....

-N

cjones
05-07-06, 09:12 PM
Have you checked corvetteforum, you'll run into a lot more C5 owners there than on here?

Nabbs
05-07-06, 09:23 PM
Have you checked corvetteforum, you'll run into a lot more C5 owners there than on here?

Yes I have. I have active threads on Z06Vette and CF. Everyone is very interested in this. If this works, then you guys could use C6 Z06 brakes. The C6 Z brakes are quite a setup, and at 1600 they are extremely cost-effective.

-N

JOEYCTS-V
05-07-06, 09:33 PM
Hmmm... My friend has C6 Z06 brakes on his C5. Maybe I can help ya out. If this is the Nabbs I think it is, I think I met you last year on the "Rib Run".

Nabbs
05-08-06, 06:10 AM
Hmmm... My friend has C6 Z06 brakes on his C5. Maybe I can help ya out. If this is the Nabbs I think it is, I think I met you last year on the "Rib Run".

Hey Joey! Yes we met up last year! Good times!

You're talking about Vinnie I assume? I've been bothering him about his brake setup for some time lol.

If you two could meet up I'm sure Vin could figure out if the brakes are a direct bolt-in to our cars.

Best,

-N

Luna.
05-08-06, 11:53 AM
Yes I have. I have active threads on Z06Vette and CF. Everyone is very interested in this. If this works, then you guys could use C6 Z06 brakes. The C6 Z brakes are quite a setup, and at 1600 they are extremely cost-effective.

-N

This would be for the calipers and pads or something else?

Why many are interested in this setup? What am I missing? :)

trukk
05-08-06, 01:36 PM
Forgive my ignorance on this, but I thought one of the only issues with the new Z06 was the brakes. I seem to recall reading on the Z06 forum, owners contemplating swaping to the CTS-V brakes?

I must be missing something too.

-Chris

JOEYCTS-V
05-08-06, 05:16 PM
Hey Joey! Yes we met up last year! Good times!

You're talking about Vinnie I assume? I've been bothering him about his brake setup for some time lol.

If you two could meet up I'm sure Vin could figure out if the brakes are a direct bolt-in to our cars.

Best,

-N

I just happened to get off the phone with Vinnie. We could definitely find an answer to your question. I'll probably see him wednesday afternoon. :thumbsup:

ace996
05-08-06, 08:18 PM
From what I've read on the CorvetteForum and others, the C6 Z06 brakes are not "the deal". There are many who've tracked the V and do not complain about brake problems. It's 3900lbs, and the brakes could even be considered...overbuilt, especially with the larger rotors.

If it's possible to mount the V's brakes on a C5 Z06...I'm in.

-ace

Nabbs
05-09-06, 12:30 AM
Let me try and answer in order of the question asked...

trukk -- the C6 Z06 is a 6-piston up front and a 4-piston in the rear, running 14" rotors. The brake setup is phenomenal for a factory-stock car. However, each caliper has individual pads -- making changing pads expensive. For diehard roadracers spending $400 a pop on changing pads just isn't worth it. So many are opting not to swap these brakes on their C5s and C6s. Additionally, the C6 Z calipers are quite large, meaning that you cannot run a wheel with a lip on it for clearance. I have CCWs with a 3" lip which will not clear the C6 Z brakes.

My hope is that the Vs brakes will fit under my CCWs, thus sparing me the expense and headache of having to buy new wheels on top of new brakes.

Ace -- I believe the offset of the Vs wheels will allow you to run these calipers (should they bolt in). However, you will have to run at least an 18" wheel on your caddy to get them to fit.

Joey -- Please keep me in the loop! I will give Vin a call tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

-N

atdeneve
05-09-06, 06:08 AM
A bit confused here, Nabbs. Maybe it's just me but...

Should not each caliper necessarily have individual pads - how would you share pads across separate wheels/rotors? Do you mean each piston has a separate pad?

And do you mean it is worth it for diehard road racers to drop $400 with each pad change? So despite the expense, they are sticking with the better setup used on the Z06s?

And, I think Ace was saying that he would like to do what you are interested in, as he has released himself of the Cadillac and has laid his fingers on a new toy - a maggied Z06 - if I'm not mistaken.

Nabbs
05-09-06, 07:15 AM
A bit confused here, Nabbs. Maybe it's just me but...

Should not each caliper necessarily have individual pads - how would you share pads across separate wheels/rotors? Do you mean each piston has a separate pad?

And do you mean it is worth it for diehard road racers to drop $400 with each pad change? So despite the expense, they are sticking with the better setup used on the Z06s?

And, I think Ace was saying that he would like to do what you are interested in, as he has released himself of the Cadillac and has laid his fingers on a new toy - a maggied Z06 - if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry let me clarify. The C6 Z06 caliper has one brake pad per piston - in otherwords the front caliper alone has SIX pads, and twelve in total in the front (and twenty in total on the entire system)! :eek: Worse, perhaps is the fact that the pads alone go for $400 a set. As a result, thos who are looking to make a track car have not been thrilled with this brake. Although it is a great for a street car, roadracers will easily go through a set of pads during one session. As you can imagine, the cost of replacing twenty brake pads is not cost effective. In addition the pad choices for this new caliper are limited. So yes, the brakes are very impressive, but right now they are extremely expensive to race.

However, on a street car where one might change pads every 2 years or 20K miles: this is an awesome setup. Not to mention at 1600-1700 bones it is perhaps one of the most inexpensive big brake kits out there.

Hope that clears that up.

ace996
05-09-06, 07:38 PM
I'll clarify my situation and interest...
Indeed, I am not long for the V-life, car is going back to GM
Tomorrow I am picking up a Maggied C5 Z06.
If the V's brakes could be mounted on the Z06, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat. Those front Brembos have proven themselves on plenty of vehicles...
-ace

Dreamin
05-10-06, 01:18 AM
The C6 Z06 racers are pissed not cuz of pad cost, it's cuz the pads are tapering something awful... the caliper is not designed properly. So much for GM trying to save a buck and going with PBR and not Brembo :( At least half of the track C6 Z06's I track with are using Stoptech brakes.

To answer the original Q; putting V brakes on the C5 would involve:
New hubs
Half-shaft to hub adapter (?)
Modifiying rear parking brake
New wheels (taller and 6-bolt)
Most likely the V master cylinder
And of course the V brakes: rotors / calipers / etc

C5Jet
05-23-06, 09:59 AM
I am sure that they will work, but after researching all that it would take to get the V brakes to work on my C5, I just went with Wilwoods. Made much more sense for me to just get something that was an easier bolt on proven affair. Too bad though. It would be sweet if we could use the V brakes.