: Loss of Engine Power

end9472
05-06-06, 09:54 PM
I was at a track event today and the V was performing great until later on in the day. The problem occured after shifting from 3rd to 4th and basically under WOT on one of the long straights. This happened several times. Speed around 80 mph. Not a rev limiter problem because it happens after the 3rd to 4th shift. Feels like the fuel is being shut off. This did not happen in any other gear or at any other point on the track. Once the power comes back, I'm ok until I get back on the straight, then it may happen again

While operating temps are elevated they all were within acceptable range - no warning messages. Anyone else experience similar issues or have any thoughts? thanks

stkshkr
05-06-06, 10:14 PM
I find in the quarter mile that after the 3-4 shift the power is way down, always feels very weak compared to the other gears. I attribute that to the gear ratio. Wish I could stay in third at the finish line......

NoSlackCadillac
05-06-06, 10:51 PM
Not sure what the course you were running is like, but I had a similar thing happen. The straight was after a sweeping left hander. Just as I was shifting from 3 to 4 then power went away. Finally figured out that I was straving the fuel pump on the sweeper, but there was enough in between there and the engine to keep power on for a while.
How was your fuel? I was around 3/8 tank when this happened.

end9472
05-06-06, 11:15 PM
Not sure what the course you were running is like, but I had a similar thing happen. The straight was after a sweeping left hander. Just as I was shifting from 3 to 4 then power went away. Finally figured out that I was straving the fuel pump on the sweeper, but there was enough in between there and the engine to keep power on for a while.
How was your fuel? I was around 3/8 tank when this happened.

1.6 mile road course. The front straight is after a big right hand sweeper. I was also about 3/8 to 1/4 tank full. I can understand if I was maybe 1/8 or so full, but would not expect that kind of a problem with that much left in the tank, but you may be right. I'm back for more tomorrow so I'll have to see if it happens early on with a full tank or at what point it starts to happen again. Thanks

wildwhl
05-06-06, 11:23 PM
I've read this many times on this board and elsewhere - must keep tank full, preferably above 1/2 tank, to stop starvation on the road course.

WW

Dennisscars
05-07-06, 01:14 AM
Do not let it get under 1/2 tank, after hard G rh turn under 1/4 it'll run out and give you one warning and you won't make it the next time. Running full tank doesn't seem to hurt any track time. I run just about 1/4 each 20min session, I start full and fill up at lunch break. Don't waste $ on >100 octane, it smells good but I couldn't tell any/much difference, except my lighter wallet.

Don't forget to check your wheel torque after first session and before first session second day.

And don't forget to post pics!