: multi miss fire multi codes 1996 dev

cantwait2
05-05-06, 12:50 PM
hi, trouble !! after fuel rail replacement , one day out of blue multi miss fires .
dealer says clean engine, done 500.00 later umm sir we dont see anything wrong . changed plugs no change , workin on coils 1 by 1

multi codes pco0300,152,153,154,1566,1520,1153,1347, ac1347 rs0038

rf2560 im kinda lost and dealers no help anyone seen this prob before ????

i know some of the codes dont pertain to this title , also this problem seems to be worse when the car is cold and also sometimes it runs fine ???????

Ranger
05-05-06, 05:13 PM
A misfire after the fuel rail recall is very common. Replace the wires. Been there, done that.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/25119-stutter-engine-trans.html

cantwait2
05-05-06, 05:23 PM
ok , i have changed plugs , changed out coil packs one by one with 1 new one, same prob i am going to change the wires like you said , hope thats it . dont know where to go with it if not wires. would a bad o2 sensor cause these types of problems ???

Ranger
05-05-06, 05:42 PM
Not sure about the O2 sensor but it would throw a code if bad.

Be sure to stick with OEM (A/C Delco) wires.

cantwait2
05-05-06, 06:06 PM
dont want to sound too silly , but here goes , the wires on my car say delphi - i was told ac delco parts from auto parts store arent the same as the ac delco parts from car dealer is that true? even though the same part # also the parts guy has the delphi kinda confused do i have to buy from dealer ac at 60.00 more for genuine ?????????

Ranger
05-05-06, 06:38 PM
I would think A/C Delco is A/C Delco, no matter where you get them. Try http://www.rockauto.com. They will be about $120 shipped and you'll have them in about 2 days.

cantwait2
05-10-06, 08:22 AM
ok, i got the wires . no change at all . guess the wires in the trunk r still good .
the car starts , idles not to bad but when ya put it in drive idle goes to crap feels like its barley runnin few clunks but i attribute that to some cyls not firing and idle to low ?? in park revs not to bad idles not to bad 0300 code i changed the coils out , heard taking the coil wires off and runnin will tell if coils spark , dont think thats it but have to try , also egr ?? could it really make that much diff ??? im kinda sad it had run sooo well before

Stuck in Lombard help.

Ranger
05-10-06, 12:39 PM
A bad EGR can definately cause idle problems, but it should set a DTC. Can't hurt to clean it. Check the Tech Tips section.

RockOn123
08-31-06, 10:53 PM
I'm having the same type of trouble with my 96 Deville. It misses really badly during slight uphill driving where the car is just running along without accelerating.

I'm not sure if the missing becomes less as the engine warms. Did you ever find the solution to your problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ranger
08-31-06, 11:26 PM
RockOn,
Have you had the fuel rail recall done? Common problem afterwards. Replace the wires and use A/C Delco. Do a search for "Stutter - Engine or Trans"

RockOn123
09-01-06, 12:04 AM
I just bought the car a couple of months ago. I will need to check to see if the fuel rail recall work has been done. What is the motivation behind the wires (I'm assuming you mean spark plug wires) going bad just because the fuel rails were changed?

I guess it could be EMI--as the new rails are metal correct?

CadiJeff
09-01-06, 01:05 AM
Good lord ranger, it must be contageous! The misfire disease is spreading run for your life *cough* ahh it got me......LOL

Ranger
09-01-06, 02:25 AM
Yeah, the misfire and bad wires is common after the fuel rail recall, but not because of EMI. It has to do with moving old heat cycled wires around. If your fuel rail is stainless steel it was done. If it is black plastic it wasn't.

RockOn123
09-05-06, 12:48 AM
I looked and saw a pair of steel looking lines running under the plastic cover. These lines come up the driver's side end of the engine between the center line of the engine (front to back) and the rear valve cover. They bend to the left and disappear under the plastic cover. I assume that these are the fuel rails. They look to be quite shiny and new. Before doing any of the items below, the car was running GREAT!!

I just replaced the blower motor in my '96 and had to rotate the spark plug wire closest to the driver's side of the engine to install the new unit. I wonder if I messed up this wire by twisting it around a bit. I have not done anything to the rest of the wires.....

I took the car for a ~300+ mile drive today and am quite concerned as the performance of the vehicle has really deteriorated. It is bad enough that the pleasure of driving the car is gone..... No power taking off from red lights, can't pass worth spit on the freeway.......

The biggest struggle with this situation is that I did several things to the car all at about the same time. As a result, I do not know which could have caused the stuttering issue.

1--I did a couple of WOT's as suggested by the FAQ's page.
2--I changed the oil and filter to Pennzoil 10W-30.
3--I replaced the blower motor unit, which involved messing a bit with the last spark plug wire....

Since changing the oil, the check oil level warning comes on almost every time I start the car. I have checked and rechecked the oil level and it has been right at "Full". Today it showed a 1/4-1/2 quart below "Full" and the check oil level warning still came on. My gas mileage has fallen about 2-3MPG since the oil change, WOT's, and installation of the new blower unit. I have assumed that this was due to the A/C being on. However, the missing, stuttering that I felt today was almost intolerable.

I guess looking at the plugs and wires would be a good next step. Any other thoughts?

Ranger
09-05-06, 01:22 AM
If your plugs and wires are original, change them. That will likely solve your problem. As for the Check Oil Level message, it's probably a faulty sensor.