: Whining

patentguy
05-04-06, 08:43 PM
So, does the diff whining occur during acceleration or coasting without any foot on the gas? My diff whines when you barely step on the gas, but not when it coasts.

Florian
05-04-06, 09:05 PM
typically under very light acceleration and light deceleration....

F

ace996
05-04-06, 10:36 PM
So, does the diff whining occur during acceleration or coasting without any foot on the gas? My diff whines when you barely step on the gas, but not when it coasts.

Ding..Ding...Ding...
"What does he win, Pat?"
..."A Neeeeeew Diff!!!!"
That's the whine. Change the fluid, it may go quiet for a while...but it's only a matter of time.
-ace

patentguy
05-05-06, 05:46 AM
Thanks...I thought that was the infamous noise.
James, if you are reading this, see you next week.

Lindsay Cadillac
05-05-06, 05:48 AM
Sounds good... We'll check it out then...

ewill3rd
05-05-06, 06:02 AM
The drive gears have a "drive side" and a "coast side".
There is a slight gap between the teeth at rest called "backlash" and the difference between the drive and coast is pretty much the backlash.
When you accelerate the pinion is pushing on the drive side and when you decelerate the pinion is pushing on the coast side of the ring gear teeth.

The point is that either side can make noise, but on the V it's typically the drive side of the gear that makes the noise.

patentguy
05-05-06, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys.
I also have the flaking radio buttons, and a rear suspension that now creaks like my dad's old Buick.

BadCad
05-05-06, 12:44 PM
the drive side that makes the noise.
With me the drive side is usually quiet - it is the passenger side and back seats I get the most whine....

nikon
05-05-06, 12:47 PM
With me the drive side is usually quiet - it is the passenger side and back seats I get the most whine....

Im never getting married.

BadCad
05-05-06, 12:50 PM
I'm never getting married
famous last words.....

patentguy
05-08-06, 12:16 PM
The point is that either side can make noise, but on the V it's typically the drive side of the gear that makes the noise.

And this is detrimental and an indication that something is broken or not working the way the diff should perform?

BeastMaster
05-08-06, 01:21 PM
Took the Beast into the dealer for the Whine. Had the first diff changed at 5000 miles. This one has 6000+ on it. Dealer calls - they don't hear a thing. They say they had it up on a lift spinning the wheels?????????? i told them that i though tit had to be under load. they said they would road test it. Supposedly - two different people road tested it and heard nothing. I went down and took one of them for a ride - I noticed that the car had only been driven about 4 miles. At first I didn't hear the whine and stated that - I got a smirky look from the dealers man that said Told you all over it. Then it was there as loud as could be from 40 to 60 with slight gas pressure - in 3rd, 4th , 5th or 6th - you pick the flavor. The guy then had the nerve to tell me that it was normal:rant2: We got back to the shop. I had put 4.1 miles on the car - yet they had two people test drive it looking for a sound and only went 4 miles total. It would be hard to test drive the car in a shorter distance than I drove it due to the roads. Guy said "We replaced it once, if we put in another one it'll just do the same thing". He said he would check with the Service Manager on what he wanted to do - wouldn't talk to me - they decided I have to talk to the Area rep who will be by in late May.
I have yet to bring my car in and get it back with it either fixed properly or without them messing something up.

BeastMaster
05-08-06, 01:33 PM
Just got off the phone with the Service manager - I got nowhere - they consider the noise normal. He also knows of no whinning issues with the V and has no direction from Cadillac to change the 05 diff with the 06 diff, if a diff has to be changed. I asked, why at least wouldn't he of changed the fluid in the diff - he said why change it - in our mind there is nothing wrong

rand49er
05-08-06, 03:41 PM
I just got into the house after driving my car about 6-7 miles (round trip). So, I'm lightly accelerating in 6th at about 40MPH just like I always do, and I hear a whine. I let up: nothing. I accelerate a bit harder (still mild): nothing. Put it in 5th gear (and 3rd and 4th) and lightly accelerate: nothing. But, in 6th gear under light load, it's whining.

This is absolute BS, too, since I really baby the car. I have never done a full bore "hole shot," but have probably accelerated quite hard about 5 or 6 times EVER from 1st gear producing only limited wheel spin! I do not let it wheelhop. I very, very rarely run WOT. I've probably shifted hard (1-2) less than 8 or 9 times over my 22.5k miles.

Mods or not, I'm taking it in to the dealer to get "on record" that it's got the dreaded whine before my 36k warranty is up.

Now, I know what you other guys have been bitching about! :rant2:

ace996
05-08-06, 09:49 PM
Took the Beast into the dealer for the Whine. Had the first diff changed at 5000 miles. This one has 6000+ on it. Dealer calls - they don't hear a thing. They say they had it up on a lift spinning the wheels?????????? i told them that i though tit had to be under load. they said they would road test it. Supposedly - two different people road tested it and heard nothing. I went down and took one of them for a ride - I noticed that the car had only been driven about 4 miles. At first I didn't hear the whine and stated that - I got a smirky look from the dealers man that said Told you all over it. Then it was there as loud as could be from 40 to 60 with slight gas pressure - in 3rd, 4th , 5th or 6th - you pick the flavor. The guy then had the nerve to tell me that it was normal:rant2: We got back to the shop. I had put 4.1 miles on the car - yet they had two people test drive it looking for a sound and only went 4 miles total. It would be hard to test drive the car in a shorter distance than I drove it due to the roads. Guy said "We replaced it once, if we put in another one it'll just do the same thing". He said he would check with the Service Manager on what he wanted to do - wouldn't talk to me - they decided I have to talk to the Area rep who will be by in late May.
I have yet to bring my car in and get it back with it either fixed properly or without them messing something up.

Sounds very much like my dealer...Lynbrook. Beware the District Service Manager, Todd, who doesn't really know the car at all.

Best bet is to go buy the heavier weight diff fluid, and change it yourself. Then bring the car in when it gets "really" bad...ie, when even a loud radio doesn't cover the sound. Or, bring it in a few more times and call a lemon lawyer.... I have a name of a good guy on LongIsland...
-ace

ewill3rd
05-09-06, 08:39 AM
I can't say if it's right or wrong, but if you put 5 rear ends in your car and they all make the same noise......?

Everyone wants a race rear end in their car to go fast and drive hard.
I wonder what the rear end sounds like in a race car?

Just something to consider.

Not saying anything one way or another, just thinking out loud. (in an internet sort of way)

nikon
05-09-06, 09:08 AM
Mods or not, I'm taking it in to the dealer to get "on record" that it's got the dreaded whine before my 36k warranty is up.

Now, I know what you other guys have been bitching about! :rant2:

36k warranty??? this is a cadillac buddy we run 4 yrs 50k

Joey'sVee
05-09-06, 01:21 PM
Well the Getrag is rated for 309 ft-lbs of torques according to...

http://www.en.getrag.de/181 420 Nm = 309 ft-lbs

And our cars generate a maximum of 395 ft-lbs...so there lies the problem.

Speaking of fast cars....does the vette, or GTO rears whine louder than the radio?

I'm in arbitration with GM now...5 attempts to fix the diff, 5 attempts to fix the nav and radio buttons, and 5 attempts to fix this oil light issue. Total days in service is 65. That’s in 1 year and 3 weeks and it's at the dealership now and has been for the last 7 days. I have no idea when I’ll get it back. GM should call me and offer to buy this POS back but instead I’ll have to fight them every step of the way.

I’ve always been a GM guy. They lost a customer for life…not because I have a POS but because they are fighting me on this. 65 days out of service and they are fighting me!!!! Can you believe it????? Every car company out there has their share of lemons without question. But this is sickening!

CaddyGeek
05-09-06, 02:15 PM
Speaking of fast cars....does the vette, or GTO rears whine louder than the radio?

Although I don't believe the C5 and the CTS-V share the same model diff, for what it's worth... No, my car does not have, nor has it had an diff failures or leaks. However, I have destroyed the second gear syncros in 3 transmissions so take the good with the bad. :rant2: Your wheel hop prevents anyone from high powered launches and wanting to power shift second gear, but if you did then you guys would be blowing second gear like the vettes do... I'd bet that the limit is less than a dozen full throttle no lift shifts and the synchros are toast. The clutch is surprisingly good, however. The car has a ton of miles on it in 5 years and this only my second clutch. As with most cars, the C5 has it's flaws but I'll be keeping her until the aftermarket has provided a diff and a suspension set-up that impressively limits the hop. Although, by that time the new CTS-V may be on the market and all of these issues will be taken care of by GM. :bigroll: I can dream can't I? I really wanted this car in 2004, but I still can't justify having one at this point. I wish this wasn't the case...

GT04CTS-V
05-09-06, 06:54 PM
I can't say if it's right or wrong, but if you put 5 rear ends in your car and they all make the same noise......?

Everyone wants a race rear end in their car to go fast and drive hard.
I wonder what the rear end sounds like in a race car?

Just something to consider.

Not saying anything one way or another, just thinking out loud. (in an internet sort of way)

Maybe the rear diff is under-rated for the specific application or just a plain POS. This is the first car that I've ever owned that had this problem. No problem with the diff in either of my Corvettes, Trans AM, Z-28, zilch - nada. Funny, even car mags are starting to complain about diff noise in the V. Humm, put a Corvette Z06 LS6 engine in a Caddy - mate it to a 6 speed manual trans - add some hi-po brakes - hone it's handling on a track in Germany - and dare people to drive it. GM built a high performance car that is almost perfect minus the diff. Time for GM to step up to the plate and fix it, or risk losing customers for life.

Like building a 10 pound sledge hammer and using a tooth pick for a handle.

Just thinking out loud. :)

GT

ace996
05-09-06, 07:59 PM
Well the Getrag is rated for 309 ft-lbs of torques according to...

http://www.en.getrag.de/181 420 Nm = 309 ft-lbs

And our cars generate a maximum of 395 ft-lbs...so there lies the problem.

I'm in arbitration with GM now...5 attempts to fix the diff, 5 attempts to fix the nav and radio buttons, and 5 attempts to fix this oil light issue. Total days in service is 65. Thatís in 1 year and 3 weeks and it's at the dealership now and has been for the last 7 days. I have no idea when Iíll get it back. GM should call me and offer to buy this POS back but instead Iíll have to fight them every step of the way.

Iíve always been a GM guy. They lost a customer for lifeÖnot because I have a POS but because they are fighting me on this. 65 days out of service and they are fighting me!!!! Can you believe it????? Every car company out there has their share of lemons without question. But this is sickening!

You've met the statutory requirements to lemon-law 4 cars, Joey. It's a done deal, no doubt about it, but they'll wait until a few days before the arbitration hearing...to see how far you'll go. Send the papers, schedule the day, and it's over shortly after that.

They really are skumbags...shame.
-ace

lasstss
05-09-06, 08:27 PM
You've met the statutory requirements to lemon-law 4 cars, Joey. It's a done deal, no doubt about it, but they'll wait until a few days before the arbitration hearing...to see how far you'll go. Send the papers, schedule the day, and it's over shortly after that.

They really are skumbags...shame.
-ace

Its really a dead GM issue! I have disassembled a few of these getrags, its a light duty rear. The case is simply too light to be dimensionally stable. That is why they are quiet when new. After some spirited use, the dimensions change. Its not the gearset, the case just doesent stay put. This coupled with it jostling around everytime you hit the go pedal doesent help either. Plus, aluminum rings... cast iron doesent. Hopefully the Aussies get this rear done in the next few months, meanwhile dont abuse it.:thepan: I still love driving this car though, even more than my old 440 Cuda.

v-ape
05-09-06, 09:35 PM
I had the same problem. Whining under light accel in 4th - 6th. more noticable in the higher gears. It was singing at 60.

I had mine fixed, parts replaced, and on the 5th try I finally a new diff. I swear I can hear the noise still (although its VERY faint). I know it will come back. Upsets me to buy a 400hp car and not be able to use it. I may sell mine in a few months... Cadillac should fix this. Everything else about the car is great, but that diff really is killin me.

BeastMaster
05-10-06, 12:14 PM
Sounds very much like my dealer...Lynbrook. Beware the District Service Manager, Todd, who doesn't really know the car at all.

Best bet is to go buy the heavier weight diff fluid, and change it yourself. Then bring the car in when it gets "really" bad...ie, when even a loud radio doesn't cover the sound. Or, bring it in a few more times and call a lemon lawyer.... I have a name of a good guy on LongIsland...
-ace

Ace
thanks - my dealer is further out on the Island- but I'm sure I'll get the same District Manager. Every time I have taken the car in, I have had to return it because they did not fix the problem or they did something wrong.

What really burns is that the dealer says there is nothing wrong, this is normal - Yet until I drove with them, they heard nothing . So it went from there is no noise to Oh, well that noise is normal - PLus they claim they know nothing about replacing the 05 diff with the 06 diff. Have I missed something here??