: Northstar Head Gasket, which side, which jug is more common

Lonezuk
05-03-06, 01:55 PM
Northstar Head Gasket, which side, which jug is more common/likely to fail if any ?

Is one plug to jug more common than others ?

WOTMODE
05-03-06, 02:46 PM
I think #1 and #8 are the most common. Mine blew on #8(front bank). It's really the head bolts that fail. They are torque to yield which means they stretch as proper torque level is reached. Over time, the bolts lose their ability to stretch and contract with the engine as it warms up and cools down. When I tore mine down, the heads of the bolts were loose.

acklac7
05-03-06, 03:15 PM
I think #1 and #8 are the most common. Mine blew on #8(front bank). It's really the head bolts that fail. They are torque to yield which means they stretch as proper torque level is reached. Over time, the bolts lose their ability to stretch and contract with the engine as it warms up and cools down. When I tore mine down, the heads of the bolts were loose.

N* head bolts are not torque to yeild...Torque to yeild bolts strech permenintely once torqued. While the H. bolts on the N* do strech, they will return to there normal size once removed.

Interesting about the whole bolt exapansion/contraction theory....Wonder if excessive engine temperature/lack of coolant circulation (do to low coolant levels) plays a part?

Lonezuk
05-04-06, 08:33 PM
Additional information.
Adding it to all threads I have asked for information in.

Completed the leak down test.
Radiator and all lines were filled.
Used 100 - 125 PSi shop pressure to all cylinders one at a time.
Nothing, no bubbles ot anything.

Negative, just like the hydrocarbon test.
also colling system test, holds pressure

Still overheats, coolant leaks out the over flow tube when hot.

white97deville
05-06-06, 07:28 PM
Have you checked the thermostat, surge tank for clogged lines, or tested the radiator cap for holding pressure? These things can also cause an overheat condition but are much cheaper and easier to fix than a headgasket.

white97deville
05-06-06, 07:45 PM
I read your other thread that said you had flushed the radiator out two times. It could be time to replace it.