: Sts Sales Data

ARTSBEST
05-03-06, 10:12 AM
STS sales yr-to-date (through April) DOWN 25.9%. STS sales April 06' vs April 05' DOWN 38.8%.

Benjamin Simon
05-07-06, 01:36 AM
Does anyone know why the sales are so poor? Is the market down or is it just the STS? I wish the STS would run on E85.

Jesda
05-07-06, 02:05 AM
It hit the market with a splash, but like the 2002-2006 Q45, its siblings are hotter, so it gets ignored. Needs more art and science.

tedasaurus
05-07-06, 12:34 PM
After owning a '05 STS4 for one year and a half I can tell you it does not come close to matching the refnement of the E class, 5 series, GS430, or M45. When will GM stop playing the value game? It is probably too late now.

Benjamin Simon
05-07-06, 02:53 PM
It would seem that a few people are unhappy with there STS and maybe I should take my money some where else. I would say I love my 99 Seville STS and I prefered it to a 2000 E class.

megeebee
05-08-06, 01:30 PM
Personally, I blame Bob Lutz for the STS's shortcomings. One of the first things he did when he got to GM was stop the STS program, which had been cleared for production, and "sent-it-back" to the studio for some revisions. I would love dearly to see what the original vehicle looked like before he worked his "magic" on it. We all know how he loves to smooth things out. The STS, in my opinion, was overshadowed by the CTS. Mr. Lutz, when he first arrived at GM, made no secret of his dislike of Cadillacs "Art & Science" design language and voiced dislike of the CTS. It was too late to change the CTS in September of '01 when he arrived. The tooling was all in place. The STS had not moved too far that changes couldn't be made. It is my belief that the wimped out tail lights and completly conventional rear bumper facia are his work. That, and the "blurring" of the Cadillac character line that runs strongly through the upper boby. The one that starts at the top of the tail lights and then arches downward as it goes forward, then through the front wheel opening, and reappearing as the top of the bumper. Like on the EVOQ showcar, and the CTS. The rear quarter panel and roof line seem to bear his smoothing-influence too, since he wanted the roofline lowered an inch. This all delayed the introduction of the car 6 months until the sping of '04 as an '05 model, when it was originally planned as the '04 model introduced in Fall '03. I'm hoping the refresh planned for the next year or so will add a little character to the STS. (A new Interior wouldn't hurt. The current one is not bad, but it should be more interesting to stand out in the crowd.)

justgreat
05-10-06, 02:00 PM
the reason lutz sent it back was the roofline...he didn't like it; i believe he thought it wasn't racy or swoopy enough for the market they were shooting for...but that's not the reason the sales are so low. the competition in that segment of the market is brutal and even though the caddy may be competitive on a purely substantitive basis, they're the new kid on the block, compared to the competition. gm should have taken a page from audi and offered a better "value" until they got a foothold into the segment; then they could raise the prices once the sales number justified the increase.

along the same lines, the option packages available are terrible for pricing out a vehicle. the numbers have got to be lower, when the customer signs on the dotted line...at least for a while.

one good side affect: you can pick up a year old sts for a song..hmmm...some things just don't change and THAT'S a good thing.

megeebee
05-10-06, 05:31 PM
the reason lutz sent it back was the roofline...he didn't like it; i believe he thought it wasn't racy or swoopy enough for the market they were shooting for...but that's not the reason the sales are so low. the competition in that segment of the market is brutal and even though the caddy may be competitive on a purely substantitive basis, they're the new kid on the block, compared to the competition. gm should have taken a page from audi and offered a better "value" until they got a foothold into the segment; then they could raise the prices once the sales number justified the increase.

along the same lines, the option packages available are terrible for pricing out a vehicle. the numbers have got to be lower, when the customer signs on the dotted line...at least for a while.

one good side affect: you can pick up a year old sts for a song..hmmm...some things just don't change and THAT'S a good thing.

Sorry, but I must disagree. The market segment of the CTS is even more brutal, and it came out strong and got even stronger every year since. That is, until this year. But I believe it's the fact that the CTS is on its fifth year on the market, with no major changes, that accounts for its fall in sales. I still feel Mr. Lutz's changes actaully hurt the STS's chances, though as I said I can't be sure because I didn't see the originally approved design. In his defense, however, it should be noted that the CTS had not yet gone on sale when he halted the STS, so he didn't know such an extreme style would be the hit that it has been.

I also must disagree with your "good side effect". Low residual values are not at all good for Cadillacs standing among the competition, or in the public mind. And THAT'S a BAD thing.

I do agree with your mention of the subject of options. It does seem that it's "all or nothing". When I first went to see the '05 STS and (I thought) order one, the packages were either too much or not enough. For instance, I wanted the aluminum trim inside, but couldn't get it with a Northstar. In the end, I traded my '03 CTS for an '05.

justgreat
05-11-06, 10:49 AM
Sorry, but I must disagree. The market segment of the CTS is even more brutal, and it came out strong and got even stronger every year since. That is, until this year. But I believe it's the fact that the CTS is on its fifth year on the market, with no major changes, that accounts for its fall in sales. I still feel Mr. Lutz's changes actaully hurt the STS's chances, though as I said I can't be sure because I didn't see the originally approved design. In his defense, however, it should be noted that the CTS had not yet gone on sale when he halted the STS, so he didn't know such an extreme style would be the hit that it has been.

I also must disagree with your "good side effect". Low residual values are not at all good for Cadillacs standing among the competition, or in the public mind. And THAT'S a BAD thing.

I do agree with your mention of the subject of options. It does seem that it's "all or nothing". When I first went to see the '05 STS and (I thought) order one, the packages were either too much or not enough. For instance, I wanted the aluminum trim inside, but couldn't get it with a Northstar. In the end, I traded my '03 CTS for an '05.

let me start out by saying that i like the current generation sts...my only beef would be with the sizing accomodation in the driver's seat: more of everything; width, height, leg room...i also noticed that the reach for the steering wheel was extreme....but, as long as i didn't get a sunrrof i could live with the seating position. my original statement was based on the somewhat obvious position that when a "hot" model is first introduced the sales will be decent; it's after that first wave of "impulse" buying that the dust settles and you get a clearer picture of how that particular model will sell.

let me also say that i like the understated styling of the sts, basically a box with pseudo fenders of yester years (much like the cts). l like the stacked headlights and the kamm rear end. it's distinctive and yet tasteful.

as far as the resale value is concerned, i would never pay for a new car in that price range; it just goes against my grain. that's why from my point of view, the great deals available for 1/2 year old caddys is right up my alley. all of the great engineering that goes into a cadillac can be had for a song and if you're one to "buy and hold" then the resale value is of little consequence, to me anyway.

around where i live escalades and srxs are abundant. i think i have seen maybe, two sts's. caddy seems to have a lock on that segment of the market; the high end luxury sedan market is another story.

it's very difficult to go into a segment of the marketplace for the first time (i don't consider the 04 seville/sls in the same market segment), price the car through the roof (well, maybe that's a bit too extreme) and expect it to sell. they do that with the escalade and have nooo problem with that vehicle.

i think they would have been better served with a lower sticker...of course, transaction prices are really the bottom line...maybe they are in fact lower?