: The body shop wrecked my car!

V-SATX
05-02-06, 06:40 PM
After 3 weeks of pure BS from the body shop making excuses for everything from paint matching problems to fish eye issues I blew a gasket and demanded that my car be ready today. For the life of me I could not understand why it was taking 3 weeks to fix the minor damage to my bumper and deck lid. This afternoon the shop calls me just to let me know one of their employee's wrecked my V. Now they have to order a new front assembly and front fender. In all my life I have never had such a bad experience getting a car repaired. I am wondering what my options are now. I bought my car in Jan and only have 4300 miles on it. I had very slight damage to it when I dropped it off. How in the hell can a body repair shop wreck a car? :want: :rant2: Any advice is appreciated.

urbanski
05-02-06, 06:42 PM
batchelor?
edit: if so,
tow it immediately to Caliber or Cavender

I'll give you the USAA contact numbers at both if you want.
email me

subnali
05-02-06, 06:45 PM
If this work was done thrugh an insurance claim, contat your insurance company! If not, the only recourse you could threaten is that ALL repairs to damage...yours and theirs...be done at their expense

51PHFTY
05-02-06, 06:48 PM
After 3 weeks of pure BS from the body shop making excuses for everything from paint matching problems to fish eye issues I blew a gasket and demanded that my car be ready today. For the life of me I could not understand why it was taking 3 weeks to fix the minor damage to my bumper and deck lid. This afternoon the shop calls me just to let me know one of their employee's wrecked my V. Now they have to order a new front assembly and front fender. In all my life I have never had such a bad experience getting a car repaired. I am wondering what my options are now. I bought my car in Jan and only have 4300 miles on it. I had very slight damage to it when I dropped it off. How in the hell can a body repair shop wreck a car? :want: :rant2: Any advice is appreciated.

Bummer.

If it were me, I would go right down there and take a bunch of pictures (over and under)(I would also look at the miles). Something tells me that an owner or supervisor has been having a bunch of "fun' with your "V". I would also demand that they get you a suitable rental car (in their name for billing purposes) for as long as it takes to get your car back.

I would also consider pulling the car out of there and having another shop (trusted, referral by a friend or?) and having the shop that wrecked it pay the bill. My concern would be that this repair is on their dime and they will go as cheap as they can.

When you pick your car up, i would take the owner with you for a test drive and listen for a rear end whine etc. If they have been beating it, there may be some issues.

Marty

urbanski
05-02-06, 06:54 PM
yeah his car whines a bit....wonder if they worsened it
trouble is....if its the shop i'm thinking, they're a mega-conglomerate who would be hard to fight.

V-SATX
05-02-06, 07:02 PM
yeah his car whines a bit....wonder if they worsened it
trouble is....if its the shop i'm thinking, they're a mega-conglomerate who would be hard to fight.

Urb,

I have GEICO as my insurance company. When they did the estimate they offered their shop off of Jackson Keller would do the repair and cover the repair for the life of the vehicle and also 100% satisfaction guarantee. I still can not believe they actually wrecked my car. I am going over there first thing tomorrow and take some photos. I am not sure what to do beyond that.

heavymetals
05-02-06, 07:06 PM
What do you mean wrecked it?
Was he joyriding and it got nailed?
Was he moving it and it got nailed?

Take a bunch of pictures and get statements.

They may want to keep it off their insurance (claims=higher premiums) so your in the catbird seat.

Sorry your ride got damaged.

If it is bad, tell them they bought themselves a car.

Aresuu
05-02-06, 07:13 PM
Man that really sucks!
I would be looking for a face to face explanation of the wreck. If it was a joy ride they need to be paying all costs like subnali suggested. Even if it wasn't a joyride, they are still responsible.
Lots of pictures. Second opinion.

I would be looking for some diminished value compensation from them too.

V-SATX
05-02-06, 07:29 PM
Man that really sucks!
I would be looking for a face to face explanation of the wreck. If it was a joy ride they need to be paying all costs like subnali suggested. Even if it wasn't a joyride, they are still responsible.
Lots of pictures. Second opinion.

I would be looking for some diminished value compensation from them too.

I am hoping a few forum member attorneys will read this thread.

JCM1
05-02-06, 07:51 PM
That really is BS. I agree with taking the pictures that way there is documented proof. Notify your insurance company and ask them if they would be willing to take the legal action if not I would definatly consult an attorney.

lars464
05-02-06, 07:53 PM
How bad is the damage?
Did you authorize them in writing to fix the damage they caused? They are not allowed to start any repairs unless you as the vehicle owner authorize it.
Personally, I would offer them to buy the vehicle, or pull it and fight. They WILL pay for the repairs, your rental, and the diminished value of the vehicle. Anyway you cut it, its a frusterating paint in the butt!!! Sorry to hear that.

urbanski
05-02-06, 07:55 PM
Michael Beck
337 W. Commerce

hope he's still there, been 2 years since i used him, but he's PERFECT for this situation

go get em

V-SATX
05-02-06, 08:03 PM
Urb,

Your the best. Thanks for the number.

ahahnu
05-02-06, 08:06 PM
First, sorry to hear... Whatever you do, stay calm and be patient. Go down, take some photos is a good idea. When you are calm and patient it makes the whole situation much better. Good luck.

Junkman
05-02-06, 08:36 PM
even if they had the car in their possession, if they hit another vehicle, then you MUST notify your insurance company in the event that there is a personal injury claim. I would specifically tell them that you don't want any repairs started or the vehicle touched until it is inspected by your insurance company. If you carry collision coverage, then your insurance company will inspect the vehicle and make a determination of cost to repair the vehicle. Considering that the vehicle only has 4300 miles on it, then you are definitely entitled to diminished value payments. If you wanted a damaged and repaired car, then you wouldn't have purchase a new one. Contact your insurance agent and get his take on this. Every state has differing laws and what might apply in one state, might not apply in your state. Just remember that a few rolls of film are inexpensive as compared to a botched repair job. My best guess would be to have another shop do the repairs, since you already know that this one isn't very reliable or reputable. One of the questions to ask is why was it being driven, when it was in for a bumper scratch, not mechanical work that would require road testing. One final thought, you might contact the local police department to see if there was a accident report made. You never know, your car might have been involved in a hit and run, with the driver of your car being the person that ran. Don't be afraid to open Pandora's Box..... you never know what might come back to bite you later on if you don't. If the shop is licensed by the state, county, or city/town, talk to the licensing department. If the shop has a Dealers license, then contact that department also. Turn up the heat and do it now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to get satisfaction.... Junk..

joshdctsv
05-02-06, 08:45 PM
Had they wrecked it a while ago and thus the delay? Had you seen the car in 3 weeks? If it was involved in a wreck with another car, they should have the police report for you too

DILLIGAF
05-02-06, 08:53 PM
Call Lawyer,file police report.Post pics in here

Devil_concours
05-02-06, 09:15 PM
you should go down there asap to check the damage first and take pics for proof

V-SATX
05-02-06, 09:16 PM
I must tell you all that being a member here is worth 100 fold of what I paid to join this forum. Thanx Gents.

:thumbsup:

V-SATX
05-02-06, 09:17 PM
you should go down there asap to check the damage first and take pics for proof

They called me at 5:30 pm and closed a 6:00 pm.

Devil_concours
05-02-06, 09:18 PM
They called me at 5:30 pm and closed a 6:00 pm.
still go out there to see if they're doing any cover up work. Besides you could have told them to wait since they wrecked the car.

Junkman
05-02-06, 09:25 PM
It will be interesting to learn the date and time of the accident and put that into perspective with the date and time that they gave you notice of the accident. Unless it happened this afternoon, they are not being very honest with you. In that case, I would pull the car out of there immediately. Driving the car without permission is tantamount to theft. One more agency that you might consider is the police department..... Charge them with theft and let them answer the complaint in front of a judge!!! Time to play hardball with the scumbags!!!! :stirpot:

heavymetals
05-02-06, 09:28 PM
Sure would like to know if it was a joyride, or just being dumb.

They should not have lied to you.

Find out if an accident or police report was made.

If not, probably file one at least.

Vendetta-V-
05-02-06, 09:44 PM
Is anyone in here an attorney? If not, some of you sure sound like it. ...in a good way.

ctsvett
05-02-06, 10:20 PM
I personally would force them to pay for the entire car (depending on how bad the damage was)... claim lost work time, emotional distress, etc..

I am NOT one for lawsuits, but when someone lies to me (3 weeks my ass) and then expects leniency, I will rake them over the coals and then some... Go DIRECTLY to the owner of the shop/dealership/etc and demand NOTHING but 10X exactly what you want and settle for NO LESS than what you ask for....

good luck and let us know how we can help. You can be sure that that dealership/body shop will get no business from this forum or its members...

Reed

V-SATX
05-03-06, 06:47 AM
The body shop is Red McCombs (Geico offices directly next door) off of Jackson Keller. I will be taking photos this morning. My demands will be as follows:

1. The damage should be as described to me yesterday. (Front end to the headlight assembly, front fender.
2. They re-paint the entire car to ensure exact color match and add a front bra at no cost.
3. Deminished value payment.
4. Reimbursement for the two weeks I paid for a rental $20 per day.
5. If they lied...they own the vehicle and will purchase me a new one.

I will post photos this afternoon.
:want: :want: :want:

rand49er
05-03-06, 07:45 AM
The body shop is Red McCombs (Geico offices directly next door) off of Jackson Keller. I will be taking photos this morning. My demands will be as follows:

1. The damage should be as described to me yesterday. (Front end to the headlight assembly, front fender.
2. They re-paint the entire car to ensure exact color match and add a front bra at no cost.
3. Deminished value payment.
4. Reimbursement for the two weeks I paid for a rental $20 per day.
5. If they lied...they own the vehicle and will purchase me a new one.

I will post photos this afternoon.
:want: :want: :want:Just tuned in.

YEAH BABY! Go get 'em. Kick some butt. Three weeks is ridiculous ... somebody's lying. :thepan:

keeksv
05-03-06, 08:31 AM
Just hope that when you show up to take your pictures, someone yells "You've been Overhauled" and Chip Foose pops out to greet you.:)

Otherwise, if you get the car fixed and straight, and you get diminished value compensation, it's time to mod the crap out of your car.

Good luck

urbanski
05-03-06, 08:41 AM
Texas doesn't recognize diminished value...state law. Duno what to do about that.
I wouldn't repaint the entire car....that would seriously diminsh the value. just the bad spots.
See if Geico will sue them on your behalf....
gosh this sucks

05-03-06, 08:59 AM
just remember that a lawyer will cost you $200-$500 an hour and you most likely will not be able to recover legal fees. You may want to use your insurance company as you first level of advocacy, and see how it goes.

All you will be entitled to is the car in pristine condition (or them buying the car from you at book value). Diminution in value due to the damage; tough to say since the car was in the body shop anyway. More then that will be tough to get.

You could EASILY go into five figures in legal fees chasing after less than that in diminution......

They are bad they are wrong you are good and you are right but don't lose sight of the fact that this is just about money.

CIWS
05-03-06, 10:07 AM
If your Onstar is current, contact them explaning the situation and find out if it's possible for them to provide tracking info on where the car has been driven. Even if it means you may have to officially request the info and or have a subpoena to get it. If the shop did take the car out when it was damaged and you can provide tracking info to prove it, you've got them over a barrel and the owner may be more willing to bargan with you vs going to court over it.

Junkman
05-03-06, 10:16 AM
The owner of a vehicle doesn't need a subpoena to get information about his own car, only people that are not normally entitled to that information would need a subpoena.

SoCadillac
05-03-06, 10:41 AM
I started my car habit in high school where I worked in a body shop a couple of summers because I loved cars so much. It was a shop known for fixing exotics and muscle cars. All I can say is that the owners were very picky and would always worry about leaving their cars and tell us to baby them. Well, most had the holy crap run out of them (I was too afraid to abuse them, so I didn't participate). Many times were spent in the early mornings, before the shop opened taking runs out the on the back roads, and sometimes employees actually chased other employees around in a car--in the shop-- after we cleared the shop of cars that had been stored for the night. Bottom line: There were some very fine and expensive cars that had the piss driven out of them. I can also say that if a customer was really nice that their cars were always taken care of, but if the customer was a royal dick, his car got the royal treatment. :burn:

CIWS
05-03-06, 10:50 AM
The owner of a vehicle doesn't need a subpoena to get information about his own car, only people that are not normally entitled to that information would need a subpoena.

Some companies do not release official records to anyone without a court order.

anim8orCTSV
05-03-06, 10:03 PM
I personally would force them to pay for the entire car (depending on how bad the damage was)... claim lost work time, emotional distress, etc..

Holy CRAP. I could not agree more, especially if they lied to you.

You have less than 5000 miles on that car and from here on out you will always know this happend to it. I say go for it.

Heck, I put a scuff on my wheel the first week and I am still upset about it. If someone busted up my car I would go crazy.

-Anim8orCTSV

thefly
05-04-06, 01:48 PM
Texas doesn't recognize diminished value...state law. Duno what to do about that.
I wouldn't repaint the entire car....that would seriously diminsh the value. just the bad spots.
See if Geico will sue them on your behalf....
gosh this sucks

unless they changed the law this year texas does recognize it. they just modified it a couple of years back, so you couldn't claim diminished value when you were at fault or in no fault accidents...

V-SATX
05-04-06, 02:18 PM
Here is the latest regarding my saga:

I arrived at the shop the morning of May 2nd the incident was reported to me on Monday the 1st (opening time 8:00 am).
The shop manager claims the accident occurred when the car was leaving the wash bay (final detail for delivery) and another car hit my car. No police report and no record besides their account of the incident.
I checked the mileage and it had 3 miles more than when I dropped it off.
I asked to see the car and took the pictures hosted at streamload.com/bpcsatx.
The manger obviously lied to me because the back of the car (original damage) shows that it is in a state of wet sanding so it could not have been in final prep and delivery, more lies.
Notice the giant bird shit on my car…I felt like crying.
I told the body shop manager I am weighing my options and he should give me the body shops best offer to hopefully reconcile this issue. I think some of the workers thought I was going to kick some %$^% and cleared the area immediately. What would be fair regarding diminished value?Follow this link to view my pictures:

www.streamload.com/bpcsatx

urbanski
05-04-06, 02:26 PM
unless they changed the law this year texas does recognize it. they just modified it a couple of years back, so you couldn't claim diminished value when you were at fault or in no fault accidents...HAHA well thats where i'm off
i was at fault on my accidents, so i never could claim it, LOL :p

ctsvett
05-04-06, 02:31 PM
wow.. those pictures are bad... could need a new hood.. looks like it needs new lights ($1k a pop)...

1: DO NOT let them call you insurance... the shop insurance needs to cover this
2: I would not let them fix it (for the reason that they will cut corners)
3: DO not let them touch a thing until you call a lawyer

In CA it is illegal to NOT report an accident with totals above $500 (I think that is the $$ amount)... YOu need to call the police and get a police report too...

bottom line, call a lawyer.

As for dimished value, you own a limited production "collector car" that has deep sentimental value to you. That number is pretty large in my book. Hell, you are pissed about bird crap (I get pissed too), that means you care.

Reed

heavymetals
05-04-06, 02:44 PM
You need to report the accident to your insurance company, and the police.

DO NOT let them touch your car (while it is still your car).

Make a claim with the shops insurance company (if they will give you that info).

Arrange for another body shop to come get your car and repair it.

ctsvflorida
05-04-06, 03:42 PM
Call Lawyer,file police report.Post pics in here

RIGHT ON! THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER YET!
I would have lost my cool instantly and been in jail by now! Sorry to hear about this and I hope all gets resolved!

Junkman
05-04-06, 03:44 PM
I was unable to view the pictures, but based on what others have said about the damages, I would definitely get the police involved. Considering the amount of damage, there must have been a lot of damage to the other vehicle, and as such, it would have been reported. My guess is that the vehicle was involved in a hit and run accident and they are trying to cover it up. Is there any paint on the vehicle from the other car? I suggest that you contact the local police departments detective bureau and have them get involved. You don't want to risk that the shop might try to put the blame on you if they are found out at a later date. You also MUST notify your insurance carrier to cover your tail. In the meantime, I would have the vehicle removed from the shop immediately even if you have to put it at you home. If for some reason, they won't release the vehicle, then have the police involved in that also. As long as they control the vehicle they control everything. Get it out of there immediately!!!!!!!! No good can come of this and the longer you wait, the worse it will be for you. Once you secure the vehicle then you control the situation. I am relatively certain that your insurance company will work with you to make you whole again. That is what you pay premiums for. Junk......

V-SATX
05-04-06, 03:48 PM
Junk,

Thank you for the information. I have contacted an attorney and will update on his recommendations.

Here is the link one more time...this hosting site can be a bit squirrley at times: >>>>>www.streamload.com/bpcsatx

Thanks again to all who have provided great advice. The next photos you see of my car will be perfect with my new Asanti wheels.

rand49er
05-04-06, 03:52 PM
You need to report the accident to your insurance company, and the police.

DO NOT let them touch your car (while it is still your car).

Make a claim with the shops insurance company (if they will give you that info).

Arrange for another body shop to come get your car and repair it........................:yeah:

That's worse than I had imagined! I'm surprised you're taking this as well as you are!!?!

Junkman
05-04-06, 03:59 PM
I have just reviewed the pictures and there is no question that this happened longer ago than just a few days ago. Contacting an attorney is a good thing, but remember, you will be paying him for everything that he does. If you contact the police immediately, they can get the answers from the shop as to when this happened and how it happened. I doubt that they will lie to the police to cover for an employee. It isn't worth it for them to keep covering once the hard questions start to be asked. If they put it back together and you are not satisfied, they the judge will ask why you were not more pro active on your own. Now is the time to start to rattle the cages, not later on. To you this is a major case, but to an attorney, how much can he charge? This is the question that will be sitting in the back of his mind, and to him, it will be just another case and another car. I know how attorneys thing. They look for the big dollars and the small potatoes just pay for lunch.
I know of a similar case that involved a Mercedes that was in for repairs and was involved in a MVA while road testing. After 3 year of the owner refusing to accept the car back even though the repairs were done, the owner didn't get any more except for the value of a 3 year old car. Had he taken the car back and sold it, then he would have been entitled to the loss of value between its value prior to the accident and after the accident. He never recovered his loss of use of the vehicle since the court determined that it was his choice not to accept the vehicle back. There is a term of law that goes something like "what would a reasonable person do". Just remember that term in everything that you do. A reasonable person will report this to his insurance company and to the police to show that he has nothing to hide. If they fix the car, then they can claim that they made you whole again at no expense. It is up to you to do what you thing is proper, since we can only make suggestions. Just remember that we are on your side...... Junk......

2003RC51
05-04-06, 04:10 PM
I don't know of any shops in SA but the only shop I would ever use is German Technology in DFW(Euless). I worked at Norwood Performance and every car that had body damage or needed aftermarket paint work done on it would go there. Everything from F50's, 355's, TR's, Diablos, Porsches, to my CTS-V have gone their way. Mine is going over to them in the next week or so to have some BB dents taken out. This shop isn't in SA but the shop you used should have to swallow the transport cost.

I call BS on that happening on their lot. Way too much damage for a low speed hit. Door, fender, front fascia, hood, lights, mirror. Hopefully they will be buying your car.

Goodluck on this.

Texan V
05-04-06, 04:38 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/TexanV/normal_smellslikebs.jpg

So you show up the very next day after they tell you it's been wrecked and they have already yanked the bumper, lights and replaced the fender?

Where are all those parts I wonder? To see those might tell you for sure if they hit another car as they say, or... something else, like a tree.

That is pure BS! What's up with the driver's door? They removed the mirror, door handle and side molding (WTF). How would there be damage to the front and side like that in a low impact parking lot wreck? This really sucks, but it sounds like you are getting some pretty good advice.

I've never had anything like this happen to me but a very good friend of mine had a 97 Supra that he dropped off at the local Toyota place here in Houston to get a new clutch a few years back. He told them, no hot rodding. A few hours later they call to say there's been an accident. He's thinking it fell off a lift or something... nope, it's been in a major wreck. An 18 year old porter who was supposed to wash it, took it out and wound up crashing on the 610 loop (major hwy) hitting a few cars as well as the cement guard rail. All he wanted was for them to buy the car. After a year of fighting with their lawyers and for the parts from Japan to repair it he wound up settling out of court at the last second for many thousands more than he originally asked for, getting the car back repaired and then selling the car for what he originally asked them to buy it from him for.

Good luck

heavymetals
05-04-06, 05:28 PM
They have brass ones to take it apart before even telling you what happened.

It won't cost you a thing even if you make a claim to your insurance company or get it towed somewhere else.

Initally out of pocket, but you will be reimbursed by their insurance company.

Since they started out lying to you, when do you think they are gonna switch and start telling the truth?

Yank the car and have it fixed by someone else, after you make sure everybody knows what is going on.

Poopie D
05-04-06, 05:49 PM
Those pictures make me sick. I bet it was the body shop owner himself that smashed it up....

I hope everything works out for you in the end

SoCadillac
05-04-06, 07:02 PM
I would not let them touch my car again after what I saw in the photographs. Get a lawyer, get your car, and have the best body shop in town finish the job at the expense of this place for all of it. Just by the way they have stored your car tells you all you need to know about the place, and it isn't good.

1) You need to further include a four-wheel alignment.

2) Rental car commensurate with your car.

3) Detailing of the interior.

4) The bird crap can contain acids, so review the finish to determine that it has not eaten into your it; if so have it repainted.

5) Have them remove the new fender, if it is not made by GM. Demand ALL new GM parts and not salvage!

I truly feel for you on this matter. I hate being lied to.

Vendetta-V-
05-04-06, 08:13 PM
That place even 'looks' shady. I wouldn't have taken my higher-end car there to begin with.

Bigplay
05-04-06, 09:23 PM
boy o boy they jack your ride up bad. Man I thank the lord it's not my ride or cause it would have been on the news about somebody getting their a$$ kick up & down the blvd and me in jail. All in all they F up and are trying to repair it without your consent I would go to the cops to get to the bottom of it and take the car to a caddy dealer auto shop to get it fixed right. I hope you sue their a$$. That just to shady in fact I would go to a news station to see if they can turn up some dirt on them as well.

Junkman
05-04-06, 09:31 PM
Like everyone suggests ..... now is the time to turn up the heat.....:stirpot:

lars464
05-04-06, 09:41 PM
Junk is correct. You must remove your car NOW! Its all about the control. They have the car, hence control. Even if you must pay storage, or any labor. Just get it out now! Trust me on this. I own a bodyshop. The story is BS. You really have em by the balls if you wish. Who authorized them to start work on the front? They F---ed up big time.

Luna.
05-04-06, 09:46 PM
Notice the giant bird shit on my car…I felt like crying.

Apologies, but this comment had me in tears laughing. With as bad as this situation is, this comment in the middle of that paragraph just killed me.

I just hope this has a happy ending...

The Tony Show
05-04-06, 09:53 PM
This blows so bad. I really feel bad for you, man.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but everyone is right: Get the police to come to the body shop and document what they damaged, as well as the fact that they started repairing it without your consent in an attempt to cover it up. Then get your car the hell out of there, and let the body shop owner](not manager) know that unless he agrees to pay someone else to fix the car to YOUR satisfaction, he'll not only get sued, but have his business all over the local news as well as charges pressed against him for attemptign to defraud a customer.

DILLIGAF
05-04-06, 10:04 PM
Fk,your car was stolen and taken for a beat ride no doubt.Don't trust these a-holes for another second.Show up with a tow truck tomorrow.I wonder how many rev-limiter hits it took before the douche bag lost it.I have an uncle that got his truck stole and returned by the police with no visible damage.It had damage!

Florian
05-04-06, 10:27 PM
I just hope this has a happy ending...

If it doesnt, just give ManWhoreStang a call, he gives great happy endings....:bouncy:

F

Aresuu
05-04-06, 10:32 PM
This blows so bad. I really feel bad for you, man.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but everyone is right: Get the police to come to the body shop and document what they damaged, as well as the fact that they started repairing it without your consent in an attempt to cover it up. Then get your car the hell out of there, and let the body shop owner](not manager) know that unless he agrees to pay someone else to fix the car to YOUR satisfaction, he'll not only get sued, but have his business all over the local news as well as charges pressed against him for attemptign to defraud a customer.
:yeah:
This would be my approach also. Police report to make them report who was driving the other car and where the wreck happened. Make sure your insurance knows about the problem, they gauranteed satisfaction. They called you at 5:30, closed at 6:00 and when you arrived at 8:00 next morning the whole front end was stripped. If they were that fast, it would not have taken 3 weeks to fix the original minor damage.
Total BS and a cover-up from the start.
Get your car out asap after police report.
San Antonio is a big city - Red McLiar is a big city GM dealer - It is sweeps weeks for the local media. This is a much better story than the crap we have been fed up here in the Metroplex lately. I would use their consumer people if there is any doubt you will not be made happy and well on this deal.
Sorry I'm not a lawyer, just a pissed off engineer. I do feel your pain though.
What a PITA. Best of Luck.
RSW

Aresuu
05-04-06, 11:12 PM
OMG.
I finally got to see all of the pictures. They already replaced the left front fender? Before you were told?
I hope they like their new car.
It is only a little money to them if you don't publicize their unethical treatment of customers.
Hope your lawyer rips 'em a new one.
:rant2:

Koooop
05-05-06, 12:36 AM
Consult an independent adjuster. Find one that worked for your current insurance company, they know all the secrets of forcing your hand.

I did this a few times, the results are exceptional!

Did that car hit a curb?

Kadonny
05-05-06, 07:33 AM
"The shop manager claims the accident occurred when the car was leaving the wash bay (final detail for delivery) and another car hit my car. No police report and no record besides their account of the incident"

Did this all happen on their property?

If so, did the police really need to be called? Just asking.

Anyway, good luck with it. I would be uber pissed as you are.

urbanski
05-05-06, 07:48 AM
hope it wasn't out in the hail last nite :(
updates?

SwampFox
05-05-06, 09:33 AM
Go talk to a good nasty Attorney!!! Then do what he says.

V-SATX
05-05-06, 09:47 AM
hope it wasn't out in the hail last nite :(
updates?

I think the bird shit incident will answer this question Urb. I called the attorney you recommended. I have developed a strategy and will update my results with my attorney in tow. Could there be an 06 V in my future?:want: Urb, was your car in the garage? We had hard ball size hail at my house.

CADI-V
05-05-06, 10:30 AM
I am still shocked at this whole situation... Plain and simple there is three extra miles on that car, some snot nose kid went for a joyride and drove over his head...I would raise the roof so damn high that they would not even know what hit them. I am truly sorry you have to go through this...It looks like you have some very good advice coming from the forum, but if if I was you I would have an 06 CTS-V sitting in my garage. Stick to your guns and don't let them smooth it over, the ball is in your court!!!!:thumbsup:

itbdby
05-05-06, 10:48 AM
call the police - now! It can only help things. If you dont call asap you could regret it. My wife is a lawyer and they can help, but they can only do so much. Use the (free) long arm of the law call 911

urbanski
05-05-06, 10:48 AM
I think the bird shit incident will answer this question Urb. I called the attorney you recommended. I have developed a strategy and will update my results with my attorney in tow. Could there be an 06 V in my future?:want: Urb, was your car in the garage? We had hard ball size hail at my house.Yeah, that lawyer will do you good :)
Yep, garaged.
We only had dime-sized, but it went on forever. Busted up my plants and outdoor lights pretty good :(
Broke my flagpole, too.
Oh well :)

Davidstan
05-05-06, 03:49 PM
i had something like this happen i think but dont know for sure.

Took my car (not a GM)to a dealer for a dyno tune day (car was 6 months old)for all who wanted a few more ponies. it was on the other side of town and i had to leave it over the wknd and didnt pick it up til tuesday. For 4 years it was the only time the car overnited w/o me. Got ready to sell the car later on and took it to a different dealer for a trade in deal....dealer says your car has been wrecked. (this car had been a garage queen and only had 18k miles after 4 years) i was shocked and embarassed because i told him no wrecks which was verified thru a carfax but nevertheless the rear driver quarter had several coats of paint showing up on their paint detector tool. The paint did have a little darker hue but i ignored it all this time. 3.5 yrs later there is no way i could prove they did anything but it had to have happened there. Also, there were things missing from the car like my owners manual and warranty book that they replaced at no charge but it was adding up that this was a lackadaisical dealer. (Ford BTW)

Junkman
05-05-06, 04:01 PM
That paint work could have been done before the car was delivered new to you. The factory often repaints body panels if there is damage before it is shipped. Dealers repair minor damage if it is done while in transit or happens on the lot. Some states have a dollar amount that if the repair exceeds that, it cannot be sold as new, or has to be declared to the buyer. If it takes a paint depth gauge to determine that it was repainted, then the work was done well. If people were as critical of their new born children as they are of their new cars, then the stork would have a lot of returns..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SoCadillac
05-05-06, 04:28 PM
That paint work could have been done before the car was delivered new to you. The factory often repaints body panels if there is damage before it is shipped. Dealers repair minor damage if it is done while in transit or happens on the lot. Some states have a dollar amount that if the repair exceeds that, it cannot be sold as new, or has to be declared to the buyer. If it takes a paint depth gauge to determine that it was repainted, then the work was done well. If people were as critical of their new born children as they are of their new cars, then the stork would have a lot of returns..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:yeah:

Davidstan
05-05-06, 07:43 PM

i thought about that and it was suggested that might be the case but i have pics of new that showed no darker hue but who knows. Glad that in this case w/ this thread ( v-stax) that he has them dead to rights!

Junkman
05-05-06, 09:33 PM
I bought a new Ford in 1988 and when I went to the dealership to check out the car, the hood had some scratches in it. They told me that the car wasn't my car and that mine hadn't come it yet. It sure looked like my car with the options that I had ordered. A week later, my car arrived and it looked perfect. A couple of years later, the paint on my hood started to look bad and it started to peel. I went back to the dealership and they denied that they painted the hood and said that it must have been repaired elsewhere. Not much that I could do, but I never purchased another car from them and I did tell as many people I could about how crooked they were. You never know what has happened to your car unless you are there from the day that the truck delivers it to the time that you take possession of it. There is a reason that most of the American public distrusts car dealers. Many of us have been burned by them in the past, and the only thing to change is the names of the guilty dealerships. Now, if I leave my car for repair, I stay until the work is done, if it is a car that I care about, unless I know that I can really trust the shop.

~BoB~
05-07-06, 02:29 PM
Any updates? This thread makes me sad :crybaby:

We need justice!

V-SATX
05-08-06, 11:57 AM
Any updates? This thread makes me sad :crybaby:

We need justice!

Here is the latest:

a. My attorney said that the best resolution would be to ask for a dimished value payment (Maggie Time:stirpot: ). Approx 10k

b. I have a considerable amount of money in my current mods about 10k including the wheels that will be in this week. I will get an expert from our local Cadillac dealer to review the repair work and certify it is being done with all OEM parts. After the car is certified it will go into the dealership to verify if there is any problems with the suspension or drive train ect....

c. The car has only two more miles on it from when I dropped it off a month ago (Verified by Onstar).

d. Even though they are not giving exact details it does appear that one of the shop kids decided to give her a spirted run and lost it.

e. If I litigate the issue and have them purchase me a new V I would be out of pocket for the costs of litigating and no assurances on when resolution would happen if ever. Could be more than a year in the court room.

f. I am still weighing all my options but I am leaning toward just excepting the payment and hopefully trading her in for the new 08 V, hopefully with the LS7:eek:

heavymetals
05-08-06, 12:17 PM
I would not let that shop repair it.

Take it somewhere else.

V-SATX
05-08-06, 02:12 PM
I would not let that shop repair it.

Take it somewhere else.

They started the repairs without my authorization. I could pull the car but it would require addtional litigation to have it repaired at another shop unfortunately.

rand49er
05-08-06, 03:46 PM
... it would require addtional litigation to have it repaired at another shop unfortunately.

:rant2:Any chance you can have someone (a friend possibly) who really knows what to look for check the car out when they're "done" repairing it before you accept it back?

Good Luck!!!

heavymetals
05-08-06, 05:46 PM
They started the repairs without my authorization. I could pull the car but it would require addtional litigation to have it repaired at another shop unfortunately.

That is what you have insurance for and as a last resort, lawyers.

Like the thread says, they wrecked your car.

crowan
05-08-06, 07:00 PM

This has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Where is your insurance company? Didn't they recommend this shop. They should be all over these clowns that are a part of their approved network. The body shop has its own insurance as well.

I can't believe that you have left your car there, and under the circumstances (misuse, damage, lies, unauthorized repairs), the idea of letting them continue to work on the car is astonishing. :eek:

You actually hired a lawyer who gave you that advice? Check his bar card to see if it has DISBARRED stamped on it. Tell him to grow a pair and start kicking some ass. You have all the leverage and you're giving it away.

CR

CADI-V
05-09-06, 06:21 PM
Like We said at the meet Heavymetals, get a flat bed tow truck there and ship that V to another body shop...Don't let them sweet talk you V-satx!!

itbdby
05-11-06, 01:39 PM
This is insane! Pull the car and get the police involved. This lawyer is too casual. You are letting this shop get away with everything. You are going to have to get $25k to cover the depreciation of a repaired car.

V-SATX
05-11-06, 04:36 PM
Update:

The body shop settled with me and I am happy with the settlement. I am putting away some $$ for hopefully an 08 LS7. My attorney did a great job and I should get the car back tomorrow. They will repair it until it meets my satisfaction. I hired an auto body expert to inspect all the work prior to acceptance of the deal.

This whole thing was a bummer. I am looking forward to getting my car back.... it has been almost 5 weeks.

SoCadillac
05-11-06, 05:06 PM
Update:

The body shop settled with me and I am happy with the settlement. I am putting away some $$ for hopefully an 08 LS7. My attorney did a great job and I should get the car back tomorrow. They will repair it until it meets my satisfaction. I hired an auto body expert to inspect all the work prior to acceptance of the deal.

This whole thing was a bummer. I am looking forward to getting my car back.... it has been almost 5 weeks.
Well, this is good news, and I trust all matters will be found acceptable. I was kinda hoping we could have all jumped in Urby's V for a road trip whereby he could have run said shop over.

urbanski
05-11-06, 05:20 PM
Well, this is good news, and I trust all matters will be found acceptable. I was kinda hoping we could have all jumped in Urby's V for a road trip whereby he could have run said shop over.
hop in all you want
my car is very used to hitting things :thepan:

V-SATX
05-11-06, 05:22 PM

In the discovery process we found out it was a close relative of Urbs that worked at the shop and had a similiar experience to Urb when taking traction control off and taking her for a spirited run.:thepan:

SoCadillac
05-11-06, 05:54 PM
In the discovery process we found out it was a close relative of Urbs that worked at the shop and had a similiar experience to Urb when taking traction control off and taking her for a spirited run.:thepan:
You mean there are OTHER Urby's? Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn!!!!! :spin:

urbanski
05-11-06, 06:47 PM
HAHA :hide: