: New Halfshafts w/ Diff replacement?

tweeter81
05-02-06, 02:25 PM
Hey fellas,

To anybody to has had there 04-05 Diff replaced with the 06 model, did the dealership install new halfshafts also, does everything come packaged together. I was just wondering because it seems like a waste to install the updated diff but leave the crappy old smaller halfshafts (from the 04 & 05 models). But, at this point I will be happy with anything after listening to the diff whine like a bastard for nearly 5000 miles (I have 14500 miles on my 04 V total). Tomorrow is the day it gets installed, but any info on this would be appreciated.

Flyboy
05-02-06, 05:25 PM
They installed the new diff in my car, but kept the small shafts. (I think if you paid a few bucks, you could convince them to install the bigger shafts). Well worth it, IMO.

tweeter81
05-02-06, 06:06 PM
It turns out I am just getting the diff (better than nothing) but not new halfshafts. I had the service advisor look up the price on them for me and one was $520 and the other was $530 for a total of $1050, which is way out of my budget for a part that is still going to be covered under warranty for 3 more years. I hope everything turns out OK and I will update when I get the car back tomorrow from Medved.

c5racr1
05-02-06, 08:57 PM
i got new half shafts but the new diff is winnning worse than the old one.

tweeter81
05-04-06, 04:07 PM
Well, no new halfshafts but the dealership did a good job with the diff install and everything seems fine so far (only about 50 miles). Of course, no clunk for a couple thousand miles, and everything feels tighter. I only hope this diff will last as long or longer than my first one.

DansCTSV
05-04-06, 04:49 PM
I broke a half shaft and they replaced it with the same one. Anyone know if they are now using the new ones if they break? I haven't been to the drags yet this year because I really don't want to go home on a flat bed again. Hopefully an aftermarket diff is available soon...

ewill3rd
05-05-06, 07:09 AM
No word of a an axle shaft update.
The differential is serviced as a unit, no axles are included.
If the factory axles break they should be covered, service replacements are the same as the ones that come out as far as I know.

Damage incurred while drag racing is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If you local dealer wants to replace parts that break at the drag strip under warranty that's up to them. I'd avoid mentioning that you were at the 1/8 mile mark hammering it into 2nd gear when the shaft snapped.

I have heard of zero breaking under normal street driving conditions, although I am sure that someone could report that it did happen.

DansCTSV
05-05-06, 08:37 AM
I was just doing as advertised on the Cadillac commercials. Also it broke in first gear, right after the clutch was fully engaged.

Flyboy
05-05-06, 08:55 AM
Dan,

I agree with you. I'm afraid to go to the strip now. I too, went home on a flatbed truck. Kinda' waiting for the Aussies.....sounds like they have "the plan."

ewill3rd
05-05-06, 06:18 PM
I think if you watch closely on the commercial you'll see some microscopic print accross the bottom that says something like "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt".

While I don't disagree that they should stand some punishment, I wouldn't advertise that you are taking it to the drag strip.

lasstss
05-05-06, 06:57 PM
I paid the dough. I bought a pair of 2006 Axles from lindsay, Heavy $h)%. It will take something to pop these axles at 1.5" in diameter.:highfive: