: anyone have experience with permafinish?

cjones
05-02-06, 10:43 AM
http://www.permafinish.com/

They are in the same building as a used car dealer I was at a few months ago. They have a bunch of sample cars that looked amazing. It's not a coating, it actually permantely changes the molecular structure of the paint. I'm waiting on an estimate and if it's good I'll give it a shot.

As much as a love Zaino polish, I wouldn't mind taking a break from applying it every week.

If I go through with it I'll be sure to post lots of pics.

nikon
05-02-06, 11:07 AM
I've heard of it, not perma-finish but something similiar the price wasnt too bad either...the stuff I looked at though would actually resist rock chips and such...pretty cool IMO, let us know how much that estimate is, Im interested.

cjones
05-02-06, 12:04 PM
$390 and they have a $50 off coupon. I'm going to drop it off this week hopefully. He said it will resist little chips on the front but if a rock hits it there isn't much that can be done. Apparently they've been doing this for like 25 years or so.

05-02-06, 02:48 PM
if you ever need bodywork done, these finishes make it harder to match and blend paint.

If you are applying Zaino every week you are wasting a lot of your time. However, with permafinish your car will still get dirty and need to be cleaned just as often. dirt and crap will cling to the permafinish and to really clean your car you will need to put some elbow grease into it.

IMO all of these "permanent finishes" are a crock of crap, but lots of people have gotten them for many hundreds of $$ and then spent the next 3 years trying to convince everyone (including themselves) that it was worth the $$.

Save your money.

d

cjones
05-02-06, 03:45 PM
They had a car that had the process done 18 years ago there. They left a few panels original, it was very clear this stuff works. They also applied it to half of a hood and some other cars. Picking the car up tomorrow, we'll see.

Multiple coats of Zaino absolutely makes a difference, it's additive. The difference between 2-3 coats and 10-15 is substantial. I've been using the stuff for years and on tons of different cars.

Dick's06Vee
05-02-06, 04:16 PM
CJ: I was into the local Ziebart dealer last week to get the underbody of my car washed off from the winter. They tried selling me the same deal. I told them that not waxing my V would be like sex without an orgasm! I have also used Zaino products for years and couldn't imagine not waxing my car and/or bike, but to each his own....

cjones
05-02-06, 04:22 PM
I think the better analogy is that waxing your car is more like taking a girl on a first day and trying all night to get some. Permafinish is more like the old faithful booty call you know you can always get. I'll probably put a coat or two of Zaino on top of it to see if it helps.

cash
05-02-06, 04:35 PM
Is this the stuff where the advertise you can pour acid on you car and or light a fire on it if necessary??

I Don't know why you need to apply Zaino every week??? I use it and it lasts for at least a couple washes, say a month or longer. Everytime I wash I use the spray on gloss enhancer spray, Z6, and that seems to make the polish last longer.

ChicagoCTS32
05-02-06, 04:52 PM
Is this the stuff where the advertise you can pour acid on you car and or light a fire on it if necessary??

I Don't know why you need to apply Zaino every week??? I use it and it lasts for at least a couple washes, say a month or longer. Everytime I wash I use the spray on gloss enhancer spray, Z6, and that seems to make the polish last longer.

That "lighting the finish on fire" trick is all smoke and mirrors. Heat rises and you're only burning off the fumes of whatever flammable liquid they pour on the surface. You can touch the surface that "burned" afterwards and it won't even be hot.

cjones
05-02-06, 05:05 PM
No, they don't advertise that. Go check out their site.

The more Zaino, the thinker the "clear coat" effect and the deeper it looks. It doesn't need to be applied that often, just looks better if you do. I remember a guy on one of the fbody forums years ago that had 50+ coats of Zaino on his Comp T/A. The car had a vinyl stripe down the middle that looked like paint.

cjones
05-03-06, 02:56 PM
The car looks much deeper so much so that the orange peel is almost more noticeable. I probably should have had them wet sand the car down and then do it. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

ATof3kids
07-09-08, 01:07 PM
long past your post and perhaps irrelevant at this point but just today had conversation with my body shop owner who HIGHLY recommended this process so I googled it and your query came up. did you ever do it and if so, were you happy?

thebigjimsho
07-09-08, 01:53 PM
I didn't do it this time!!

The Tony Show
07-09-08, 01:58 PM
:lol:

Someone bested Jim's record of crustiest old post to be resurrected.

thebigjimsho
07-09-08, 02:15 PM
It's not a coating, it actually permantely changes the molecular structure of the paint.Righttttttt.....

http://www.yikers.com/video_conan_is_the_molecular_man.html

Civardi
07-09-08, 04:18 PM
Holy thread revival Batman.