: Any V owners pick up a TrailBlazer SS?

BowenCT
05-02-06, 09:38 AM
Just curious if any V-owners here, also own a TrailBlazer SS w/ the LS2? I remember some talk about them in the past...........anyone pull the trigger? I am on the fence of trading my beloved Silverado for one.

http://www.modernracer.com/features/sema2003pics/sema2003pic6.jpg

vetteboy2k
05-02-06, 09:46 AM
I am looking to get one right now. I think they are bada**!!!

Handle great, great power, would be a beast on the road with a Kenne Belle Blower.

Only thing, I think the interior is cheap looking. Dash, locks, A/C area ect..., its a chevy.
I think when they redo the trailblazer in the future the SS model will be more luxurious

BowenCT
05-02-06, 09:53 AM
I agree 100% on the interior, awful..........but I have owned enough GM vehicles to not be shocked by the lacking interior. I drove one the other day and they are very nice drivers. One thing that is pulling me in is that dealers are consistantly selling them for $4-$5K off sticker. Great truck for the money. Plus they retain a 6600lb towing capacity!

vetteboy2k
05-02-06, 10:07 AM
I figured you were ok with the interior, being you already have the silverado. I have a 2000 corvette, and 2004 cts-v right now, and looking to dump the V for the SS.

I saw recently that a member reccomended to use COSTCO to buy any car, as they have no haggle invoice pricing on every car. Think he mentioned he was leasing his V for 450/month. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Might be worthwhile to look into that and see what they will sell the car for.

Davidstan
05-02-06, 10:22 AM
this is the envoy isnt it except w/ monster engine?

DarkKnight
05-02-06, 10:36 AM
No, I murdered two on the road though.
I am going to pick up a Jeep SRT-8 as soon as the Steel Blue color is available.

05-02-06, 11:14 AM
recent write up (motor trend?) had the jeep SRT-8 as the better performance car, and the Trailblazer as the better performance SUV. Jeep is much faster but no real towing capability.

Neither has real off-road capability nor third row seating. IMO they are neither good performance cars nor good SUV's. I'll keep the current trio of CTS-V, Mustang GT vert, and Suburban. If I HAD to have only one vehicle, though, I might take a look at the SS.

05-02-06, 11:14 AM
EDIT: sorry, somehow the previous post duplicated.

Davidstan
05-02-06, 11:23 AM
recent write up (motor trend?) had the jeep SRT-8 as the better performance car, and the Trailblazer as the better performance SUV. Jeep is much faster but no real towing capability.

Neither has real off-road capability nor third row seating. IMO they are neither good performance cars nor good SUV's. I'll keep the current trio of CTS-V, Mustang GT vert, and Suburban. If I HAD to have only one vehicle, though, I might take a look at the SS.

i agree, i have a Yukon for boat towing and kid hauling and havnt seen anything out there to better it. Its our most reliable vehicle.:)

V-Smooth
05-02-06, 12:00 PM
Not inpressed with the SS, although it does have great power and drive-ability. Yes on the towing capacity! What the heck is up with the single exhaust out the back?

Drove the SRT-8 and was very inpressed with the preformance and it does have the better interior of the two and well as a better sounding exhaust note. Not too thrilled about Mopar products anyway, fit and finish is off....like any other domestic.

Throw a supercharger on the SS and now you're talking, regardless of interior charateristics. I think I would still purchase the SS over the Jeep though, being a GM guy tired and true. :rolleyes:

My $.02...

trekster
05-02-06, 12:18 PM
I'll prefer the SRT-8 it's a much better car overall.
I also think that the ss is kinda ugly.

BowenCT
05-02-06, 12:23 PM
The SRT-8 is definitely faster, no question. It's also a Jeep, it's more expensive, and way less practical. Towing is essential for me, therefore the SRT-8 is not an option. If my truck didn't have 151K on the clock I wouldn't be entertaining replacing it. The SS however has me thinking.....

Kyle15
05-02-06, 04:25 PM
I have both cars and I love my SS. I picked mine up for 29.5k brand new vs over 40k for a Jeep. With a few mods (tune, torque converter, cai, exhaust) you can definitely beat a Jeep going away. Only thing I don't like is the dash but I added a double din Nav that dressed it up quite a bit. Definitely a badass truck. Bottom line is you can't pass it up for that price.

05-03-06, 05:10 AM
wass that 29.5K for a 2wd or an AWD version?

BowenCT
05-03-06, 08:05 AM
wass that 29.5K for a 2wd or an AWD version?

I was wondering the same thing. Most likely a 2WD LS, sans nav and rear DVD. Possibly without the "sun and sound package" (snrf, upgraded stereo) too.

Kyle15
05-03-06, 01:23 PM
2wd withouth DVD and Nav bc I already had an eclipse unit that is way better than the stock one. AWD is pretty worthless in my opinion.

annie
05-03-06, 04:32 PM
I think 2 wheel drive SUVs are usless. A station wagon like a magnum would handle better have better fuel economy and loud the same amount of stuff.
My mother in law has a 2 wheel drive durango and that thing louds about the same amount of stuff as my fathers E320 and don't even mention the fuel economy.

05-03-06, 07:53 PM
I think 2 wheel drive SUVs are usless. A station wagon like a magnum would handle better have better fuel economy and loud the same amount of stuff.
My mother in law has a 2 wheel drive durango and that thing louds about the same amount of stuff as my fathers E320 and don't even mention the fuel economy.

Annie, there is no need to harsh on the man's car. Besides, I don't think that there are many on this forum who would agree that ANY 400hp GM car is "useless," ESPECIALLY one for under 30K. It may not be a great SUV, but it is still a heck of a ride.

If you don't like it, don't get one.

obzidian
05-03-06, 11:50 PM
i have been looking at the TBSS for a while now and i cant seem to pull the trigger. The back seat entrance is a bit tight...

NOw the jeep, thats just a rod jeep that is NOT an suv. Seriously, it just another MB/chysler product that is just quick...thats it.

Interior to me are both ok, but i lke the looks of the TBSS a bit better in and out..

Kyle15
05-04-06, 12:50 AM
Well, I enjoy riding around in a 400hp, that cost 29 grand, suv especially when I can go tow my boat with it, so, like he said, if you don't like it, dont get it.

DarkKnight
05-04-06, 02:18 AM
I think the SRT is hot, the interior isn't the best but it's better than the TBSS, not trashing the SS, just my opinion.

BowenCT
05-04-06, 08:53 AM
I think the SRT is hot, the interior isn't the best but it's better than the TBSS, not trashing the SS, just my opinion.

It is hot, but it is also useless as a "utility" vehicle. Not my opinion, that's a fact.

DarkKnight
05-05-06, 07:27 PM
It is hot, but it is also useless as a "utility" vehicle. Not my opinion, that's a fact.

It's useful in the sense that it has plenty of performance with plenty of room for its occupants and cargo. As far as towing goes, I have a Navigator with a tow package, which I have never used, if I need to tow.

obzidian
05-06-06, 12:22 AM
useful for perfomance if youi like it stock, and back seat is WAY tight so your passengers might and will complain..

You can always say, "Well, stay ouy!!" but thats not an options sometimes as much as we want it to be!! :)

TBSS has more aftermarket support if you get bored and it only takes a tune, CAI, and a ss3600 yank stall converter (2.5STR) to get you in the 12.6 range.. maybe a 1200.00 range for everythin and thats stil cheaper than the jeep.

not bad at all....

DarkKnight
05-06-06, 01:14 AM
useful for perfomance if youi like it stock, and back seat is WAY tight so your passengers might and will complain..

You can always say, "Well, stay ouy!!" but thats not an options sometimes as much as we want it to be!! :)

TBSS has more aftermarket support if you get bored and it only takes a tune, CAI, and a ss3600 yank stall converter (2.5STR) to get you in the 12.6 range.. maybe a 1200.00 range for everythin and thats stil cheaper than the jeep.

not bad at all....

Well staying stock used to be the only option for SRTs, but that has now changed. Long tube headers, cold air intakes, polished heads and intakes and superchargers are now available from GS Motorsports, just look here:
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/ (http://www.gsmotorsports.com/)
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SRT8JGC-PO&Category_Code=SRT8JP

Custom PCM flashes are available and an upcoming programmer at:
http://www.srt8tuning.com/pages/1/index.htm (http://www.srt8tuning.com/pages/1/index.htm)

And if you don't mind dealing with Hennessey Motorsports he has everything you can think of for SRTs including a torque converters for the automatics, from what I hear this TC turns the SRT into a low 12 monster.

Also, Mopar is ready to release their line of performance stage packages as well, and we know how well that worked for the SRT4s with their Stage 1,2 and 3 setups.

So no, you don't have to stay stock if you have an SRT, but I can understand how SS owners would like to keep it that way. Besides if you look on the Jeep SRT forums they are running 12.8s with cold air kits and exhaust only, with the new tune available that should drop to mid 12s easy. I would be happy with mid 12s in an SUV from three mods.

I just like having a choice of performance SUVs, besides my V was more expensive than a 300C SRT-8 and I didn’t let that stop me from getting the V, so why should I let the fact that the Jeep SRT-8 is more $ than an SS bother me, I buy what I like.

V-Max
05-06-06, 07:05 AM
You guys hit on the major reason the SRT is faster out of the box. The high stall trq convert. Is good for straight line performance but would heat up if towing over rating.

You pay top buck for performance stuff for the SRT-8. Sure, if Henessey will deliver. :)

Norm - who needs AWD!
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=261;st=255

DarkKnight
05-06-06, 12:43 PM
You guys hit on the major reason the SRT is faster out of the box. The high stall trq convert. Is good for straight line performance but would heat up if towing over rating.

You pay top buck for performance stuff for the SRT-8. Sure, if Henessey will deliver. :)

Norm

I think you are right about the trq converter being the difference. I have read posts on the SS board about test drives they have taken in the SRT and the thing they mention as most noticeable is the launch and the fact that RPMs don't drop as much between shifts in the Jeep.

So if an SS put in a high stall trq converter, is their tow rating gone?