: WW lowering mod, Eibachs and More

Geno
05-02-06, 10:27 AM
Has anyone experienced this phenomenon with the WW spacers? The rear floats between the stock height and .75 lower than stock.

I installed a set of Eiback spring and the WW mod that I got last year. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and I noticed that if the car set over night the rear would drop to about .75" lower than stock. At the end of a day of driving the rear would pump up to the stock height. The rake of the car with the Eibach lowered front is mean looking, but it would look a little more balanced if the rear was consistently .75" lower than stock. By the way, I removed the rear shocks twice to make sure the mod was correct (and it was).

As an aside, I read a lot of mildly negative comments about the Eibach in the last year or so. I found them to be great on my car, albeit a little more under steer, probably due to the raked stance. I installed the Eibachs along with the Hotchkis sways and ran > 1g left and right through the Appalachians. Some of the corners were taken at a velocity great enough to spread my butt cheeks (owww). The front top wheel well opening sits just above the tire, but I had NO rubbing, even on rough roads. Potholes would be a different senerio, I'm sure.

My plan to remedy the rear issues is to install an additional set of springs as part of a coil over adjustable shock setup in the rear. This would increase the spring rate, give me a little more over steer bias, and allow me to adjust the rear height. It doesn't look like I'll get around to this until early fall, but I'll let you know if it happens sooner. Right now my "V" budget is busted, because I sent a set out an almost brand new Forgeline SO3P to be machined for split spokes, chroming and painting.

rand49er
05-02-06, 11:06 AM
You've heard of PITA and POS and SOTP. NOW, there's SMBC!!! :eek:

atdeneve
05-02-06, 11:26 AM
Zuhtohlo, I've foun jou. Ahh, my favorite four acronyms. Although, I would have to say that I'm a bit partial to that last one. Quite lovely, actually. Just be mindful how you use it. Hyuhaaa. Proceed.

4drvette
05-02-06, 12:37 PM
I have a similar application but am using H&R springs instead of Eibach with the WW mod. The H&R also have a tendancy to settle. Usually overnight while the car is sitting or if I park on an incline. I believe this is just the Nivomat's leveling as needed. I have the FG2 package so the shocks will adjust as needed.

I have never had an issue with the tires rubbing although large pot holes or bumps are a challenge. Other wise, it is very tight ride and much more stiff then stock. This car does not feel like a Cadillac.

wildwhl
05-02-06, 12:44 PM
Geno -

The WW mod only allows a maximum of 1" lowering - and the Eibach's go beyond that (I think). You can remove ALL material below the top shock perch/pillow mount for maximum effect but I don't recommend it. Tends to get a little noisy. For me, I have the GC kit and WW mod with only 1/8" of material below the top mount, and the rest of the spacers above. I get a very mild pumping action (about 1/4") between the *settled* state and *recently driven* state. This means to me that my ride height doesn't match the mod made to the shocks.

Therefore, I'll be cranking the rear up 1/4" to match. In my case, the rear is perfectly level (visually) with the front and I prefer a very slight rake.

How much does Eibach advertise the rear drop to be again?

WW

Texan V
05-02-06, 12:51 PM
1.6" front and 1.2" rear drop over stock for the Eibach pro p/n 3825

Geno
05-02-06, 01:54 PM
Geno -

The WW mod only allows a maximum of 1" lowering - and the Eibach's go beyond that (I think). You can remove ALL material below the top shock perch/pillow mount for maximum effect but I don't recommend it. Tends to get a little noisy. For me, I have the GC kit and WW mod with only 1/8" of material below the top mount, and the rest of the spacers above. I get a very mild pumping action (about 1/4") between the *settled* state and *recently driven* state. This means to me that my ride height doesn't match the mod made to the shocks.

Therefore, I'll be cranking the rear up 1/4" to match. In my case, the rear is perfectly level (visually) with the front and I prefer a very slight rake.

How much does Eibach advertise the rear drop to be again?

WW

Hey WW, I appreciate you chiming in. As stated the rear Eibach drop is 1.2 ". I'm not getting any drop if I drive the car 100 miles or so. I tried taking out all the spacer below the pillow mount, but the car banged like a dump truck. When I reinserted a 1/8 in rubber spacer. the bang-clunk went away, but the rear still pumps up. I'm commited in revising the rear until I get the desired drop and shock action. I'm just going to have to wait to fall until I get it done.

wildwhl
05-03-06, 12:00 PM
Geno -

So, the rear pumps back up - but not to stock height, just higher than you'd like, correct? If spacers are installed I don't see how it go go all the way back to stock height - the mechanical bits just aren't in the right place to allow this. And yes, you are correct about the banging from no spacers below the mount.

WW