: new B&M installed today

Howard Sharf
05-01-06, 07:13 PM
I was going to do just the bushings but decided to do both. Install took about 2 1/2 hours. Took apart nothing underneath. Bushings took about 15 min from the top. I realized that the problem would be that the bushings tend to split out when pressed from the front by the bracket so I put a loop of bailing wire around the bushing just inside the wide shoulder and used a leveral amount of silicone lube. This allowed me to push the bracket on from the front. Then removed the wire just as the bracket got to the shoulder and then seated the bracket the last little bit. Had one person on top and one underneath to tighten the nuts that hold the bracket for the shifter. Talked to B&M and they haven't put one on a 2006 so I did it based on the fact that a few people have done the UUC without a problem. No problem putting the B&M on the 2006. Shifts are very solid, no doubt where 5th is now. Slightly more noise, just a whirring sound even though I kept the rubber boot and added a sock as suggested previously. Just putting on the radio at normal volume cancels out any extra noise.

TampaV
05-01-06, 09:29 PM
Howard,

I'd really like to check out your car and see if I like the B&M or consider the UUC for my car. You had indicated earlier that you wanted to hear the Zoomers exhaust on my car and maybe meet up at an autocross in central Florida. I'll have my car at the Gulf Coast Autocross event this Sunday in Ft. Myers. Want to come down there?

Howard Sharf
05-01-06, 10:36 PM
Since my Honda is not running well I had planned to bring the V down to Ft Myers. Look forward to seeing (hearing) you there!

TampaV
05-02-06, 08:49 AM
Since my Honda is not running well I had planned to bring the V down to Ft Myers. Look forward to seeing (hearing) you there!

Howard,

I'll see you there. I'm probably going to be driving an S2000 in the autocross, but I'll have my Silver V there too.

Steve Landstra
TampaV

nikon
05-02-06, 10:08 AM
good to know thats the shifter I want.....if anything my magnaflow will drown out the sound :D

2003RC51
05-02-06, 12:19 PM
What bushings are you talking about? Do they come with the B&M? Or do they need to be purchased elsewhere?

Howard Sharf
05-02-06, 03:38 PM
Bushings are from James. See prior listings. Did the bushings in place, didn't remove the shifter.

rand49er
05-02-06, 09:02 PM
Bushings are from James. See prior listings. Did the bushings in place, didn't remove the shifter.I've got 'em ... haven't installed them yet ... maybe Saturday. Did you grease them up real well before you installed them?

Also, did you Dynamat your shifter's shaft? If not, PM me with your address, and I'll send some to you "freebie." I bought some and used about 1/4 of it (two layers) on mine, and it's absolutely silent. :thumbsup:

Imperator
05-03-06, 10:12 AM
Silent? Mine's driving me nuts... I've managed to insulate the shifter well from noise underneath the car, but the B&M design uses metal bushings at the linkage so it transmits a lot of gear/synchro noise and vibration through the shaft and to the shift knob. I don't think there's much I can do to reduce this.

Howard Sharf
05-04-06, 01:09 AM
Don't have enough posts for a pm. Pm me your e mail and I will send my info. Thanks

Howard Sharf
05-04-06, 09:10 PM
For those who haven't done the B&M, the connection between the botton of the shifter and the fork is an aluminum bushing with a shoulder bolt through it. Any thoughts on changing to a delrin bushing and a smooth bolt with only threads at the end so it doesn't wear away the bushing. Think this would eliminate some of the noise?

Ryan's '05-V
05-04-06, 10:02 PM
Please share what bushings these are if you don't mind, maybe a part # because if James can get them so can the Caddy dealer I am having my shifter installed by,

Randy, can you please bring me a little Dynomat Saturday for my shifter. I will send you a PM.

Imperator
05-04-06, 10:37 PM
For those who haven't done the B&M, the connection between the botton of the shifter and the fork is an aluminum bushing with a shoulder bolt through it. Any thoughts on changing to a delrin bushing and a smooth bolt with only threads at the end so it doesn't wear away the bushing. Think this would eliminate some of the noise?

My thoughts exactly; this solution should eliminate a large amount of noise while providing smooth reliable shifter travel. Unfortunately I don't have an extra shifter to experiment with, but if I recall, the B&M is assembled with an aluminum spacer and a solid aluminum bushing. I hope someone out there might have an extra shifter and access to a wide variety of off-shelf parts! :stirpot:

rand49er
05-05-06, 07:03 AM
Randy, can you please bring me a little Dynomat Saturday for my shifter.Do you mean Sunday? (Hm-m ... seems like we went thru this the last time back in September when we had to refer to our StealthV calendars. :rolleyes: )

..................:Offtopic:

SwampFox
05-05-06, 10:51 AM
It's SUNDAY the 7th!!! (10 more posts to go)

Howard Sharf
05-05-06, 01:35 PM
On the bottom of the B&M shifter is the hole drilled throught the shifter itself. You then press in a metal sleeve with a lipo on one side that will be flush with the shifter. You then press in two plastic bearings from each side and then slide an aluminum sleeve through the bearings. The shoulder bolt is threaded all the way along its length. I would propose changing the aluminum sleeve for delrin and change the bolt to a bolt that is smoolth its entire length except for the small amount of threads needed at the end for the nut.

Imperator
05-05-06, 01:53 PM
On the bottom of the B&M shifter is the hole drilled throught the shifter itself. You then press in a metal sleeve with a lipo on one side that will be flush with the shifter. You then press in two plastic bearings from each side and then slide an aluminum sleeve through the bearings. The shoulder bolt is threaded all the way along its length. I would propose changing the aluminum sleeve for delrin and change the bolt to a bolt that is smoolth its entire length except for the small amount of threads needed at the end for the nut.

:yeah: I called B&M in hopes of getting measurements or a parts diagram of the shifter, but they don't give out technical specifications and will only release their install literature. If someone has access to a shifter assembly, it might be worth experimenting with some parts from www.mcmaster.com

Howard Sharf
05-05-06, 03:01 PM
If someone who hasn't installed their b&m yet could measure the sleeve and give the inside/outside diameter and the length. A delrin sleeve should be fairly cheap. Also, measure the outside diameter of the shoulder bolt and the length.

Miller
04-28-07, 04:28 PM
I've got 'em ... haven't installed them yet ... maybe Saturday. Did you grease them up real well before you installed them?

Also, did you Dynamat your shifter's shaft? If not, PM me with your address, and I'll send some to you "freebie." I bought some and used about 1/4 of it (two layers) on mine, and it's absolutely silent. :thumbsup:

Rand49er---Could you please give more detail on your Dynamat solution-I installed my shifter and the noise drives me batty if I leave my hand on the shifter...

TrazzNJ
04-28-07, 05:21 PM
I've got 'em ... haven't installed them yet ... maybe Saturday. Did you grease them up real well before you installed them?

Rand,

Did the Dynomat eliminate the vibration or just the noise or does yours not vibrate? Also, did you reuse the stock shifter handle??

rand49er
04-28-07, 07:06 PM
Rand49er---Could you please give more detail on your Dynamat solution-I installed my shifter and the noise drives me batty if I leave my hand on the shifter...

Rand,

Did the Dynomat eliminate the vibration or just the noise or does yours not vibrate? Also, did you reuse the stock shifter handle??See pics in post #27. Hope that helps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/77356-tpis-short-throw-b-m-3.html?highlight=B%26amp%3BM+shifter

Also ...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/83486-info-best-shifter.html?highlight=Dynamat

I don't care what shifter you put on, it's bound to be better than the stocker. :thumbsup:

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
04-30-07, 06:38 AM
the bushings mentioned are somthing we have made by a urethane company for us to sell they are $30.00 for the pair plus shipping. for you guys that are unhappy with the noise from your B&M or other brands, UUC (which we also sell) are a 2 piece make up that absorbs all the noise trying to come through the shifter. most other brands are just a steel shaft that resonates all the noise into the car.

theloanman219
04-30-07, 08:50 AM
Finally a Ft Myers Meet! I need to make it over there. Im only 5 minutes from the airfield and I want to hear the zoomers and test the B & M. What time will you all be there or are you comming down Sat. night?

Miller
04-30-07, 10:05 PM
See pics in post #27. Hope that helps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/77356-tpis-short-throw-b-m-3.html?highlight=B%26amp%3BM+shifter

Also ...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/83486-info-best-shifter.html?highlight=Dynamat

I don't care what shifter you put on, it's bound to be better than the stocker. :thumbsup:

THANK YOU!!