: Stability Control Engaged For No Reason !

veloce
05-01-06, 11:55 AM
Here's a problem that just came up on my car last week and continues as of today. My stability control engaged comes up on the screen at 40-60 mph on a straight road for no apparant reason. Anyone have this problem before? I am taking it to the dealer soon; but I would like to be armed with some correct info before I go if at all possible. Thanks. Jeff

ctsvett
05-01-06, 12:19 PM
possible its the SDM, steering sensor (known to be bad) or your exhaust causing the SDM to engage due to vibrations...

Reed

trukk
05-01-06, 04:15 PM
My wife had an issue in her Yukon, where the stability control would kick in, and then it would attempt to 'correct' while she was driving straight. It would pull the car all over the road. The 'service stability contol' message showed up in the DIC. We took it in, and it ended up being a bad Yaw Sensor. Had it replaced, and all has been well.

Whatever you do, take it in ASAP. Don't drive it when the stabilitraq is FUBAR'd.

-Chris

atdeneve
05-01-06, 04:49 PM
Yes sir, you should get it in as soon as possible. Like, right NOW! Be careful. Could get you in a hairy situation.

eric-v
05-01-06, 05:52 PM
I just had this problem - driving straight would get this message " stability control engaged". After taking it back 3x to the dealer over a nearly two month period they replaced the PCM first. No fix. After a week the replaced the yaw sensor in the steering column and so far the problem has not occurred. Beware, GM wants you to put a recording device in your car that that looks like a black can with a big red button. When the incident occurs you press the button to record it. Do not leave it plugged in overnight. It draws power and you could end up with a dead battery. It happened to me.

Good luck

veloce
05-05-06, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. This board is great as always. Jeff :thumbsup:

benjet
05-05-06, 06:02 PM
This is just another one of my issues that the dealer can't find but sure enough happens a few times on the fwy (flat, straight, under speed limit, no evasive manuvers, etc.) on the way TO and FROM the dealer UGH!

Glad to know I can keep pushing it. I keep saying it's a safety issue even tho the Stability corrective action doesn't kick in (yet).

-Ben

Zeppelin
05-05-06, 06:07 PM
Had this happen to mine last fall. It was the traction control module. The connections were all coroded inside. Replaced that, as well as the harness connectors, and the stability control messages went away.