: CTS-V Tire replacement

XLR-V
05-01-06, 10:09 AM
I need new tires on the CTS-V and I can't find the original equipment Goodyear F1 Supercar, P245/45ZR18 EMT's. Goodyear makes a F1 Supercar 245/45WR18 EMT. Has anyone used these and are they suitable replacement? Any other recommendations?

ChicagoCTS32
05-01-06, 01:50 PM
I don't have a V, but from reading, a popular replacement is Goodyear Eagle GS-D3. Summer only, terrible in snow.

*EDIT - Changed to correct tire. Thanks TampaV

TampaV
05-01-06, 02:03 PM
I don't have a V, but from reading, a popular replacement is Goodyear Eagle RS-D3. Summer only, terrible in snow.

That should be Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, not RS-D3.

Kadonny
05-01-06, 02:07 PM
If you want a good all weather tire in an emt, try the RSA goodyears. Stock on the 2006 cars.

05-01-06, 02:13 PM
I need new tires on the CTS-V and I can't find the original equipment Goodyear F1 Supercar, P245/45ZR18 EMT's. Goodyear makes a F1 Supercar 245/45WR18 EMT. Has anyone used these and are they suitable replacement? Any other recommendations?

I have a set; brand new, never mounted (z-rated OEM F1 tires). I bought em while ago and have not yet replaced my originals. Now that it is getting close, I am going to get some RSA's instead. I'll sell them for $1000 plus shipping (about $125). I think they are still $338 each plus shipping from the tire rack?

If you are interested then pm me, or if you are not entitled to personal messages then let me know how to send you an e-mail.

50 4Ever
05-01-06, 02:17 PM

These are actually the same tire. The "Z" used to be the speed rating which means above 149 MPH. They had to refine the speed rating and opened up new letters, the "W" means the tire is speed rated to 168 MPH. The actual speed rating is located in the "Service Description" of the tire. For example the service description of this tire is 100W, meaning that the load index of the tire is 100, or 1,764 pounds per tire. And the speed raitng is "W", 168 MPH. To read a good write up on service description click here. (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35&currentpage=35)

:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
05-01-06, 04:28 PM
I don't think the V came with Z rated tires. I'm pretty sure we're all W rated.

OldRoadDawg
05-01-06, 04:36 PM
Mine say P245/45ZR18, but the next group of letters are 96W

05-01-06, 04:54 PM
Mine say P245/45ZR18, but the next group of letters are 96W

mee tu

thebigjimsho
05-01-06, 05:41 PM
That means they're W rated. Z means 149+. W is a clarification of the Z rating. 168mph...

Howard Sharf
05-01-06, 09:39 PM
I have a 2006 with RSA'a and I am not impressed. Easy to break loose in turns and acceleration when not intended. Have GS-D3's on my WRX and love them. Thinking of replacing the RSA's even though there is good tread left.

Robby2006
05-01-06, 10:02 PM
Tire Rack has just got some back in stock, most places should have the stock coming to them anyday now. I know that Goodyear was back logged a few weeks ago and claimed June 7th was the in-stock date. Sounds like that changed.

Check out the tire rack website. Showing "in-stock" at $298.00 per tire.

I know I was told last Monday by the dealer that my free tires were going to be coming in June. Tire Rack had them Apr. 27th. Going to be calling the dealer this week if I hadnt heard from them by Tuesday.

PneuBird
05-02-06, 02:55 AM
I have used BF Goodrich KDW 2 tires for over a year now and no complaints. you can' t get a high level of performance out of the RSA Goodyears and I will never own runcraps again. :thehand:

NIK
05-02-06, 08:33 AM
I have used BF Goodrich KDW 2 tires for over a year now and no complaints. you can' t get a high level of performance out of the RSA Goodyears and I will never own runcraps again. :thehand:

I don't know what you consider to be a "high level of performance" to be, but I recorded a 1.0 on my G-Meter with my RSA's (and I'm 67 years old) without sliding. IMO unless you use your V for competition, the RSA's are hard to beat (and they're run-flats to boot!)

thebigjimsho
05-02-06, 02:53 PM
I have a 2006 with RSA'a and I am not impressed. Easy to break loose in turns and acceleration when not intended. Have GS-D3's on my WRX and love them. Thinking of replacing the RSA's even though there is good tread left.In a 3900lb car with a taut suspension and 245 width, you'll be better off with runflats. The V is more sensitive to sidewall stiffness than most cars. If you're unhappy with the RSA RFTs, try a different RFT tire.

L.Sanchez
05-02-06, 06:18 PM
The RSA's are horrible tires performance wise. They are soft sidewalled, hard rubbered all season tires. Thats the bottom line.

I enjoyed the F1's, but they got pretty loud toward the end of thier brief life because they wore quickly. They are also pretty expensive. I personally decided to go with the Falken RT615's in a slightly wider 255/40/18 and after months of street use and one hard track day, I never had a single complaint with them. They ride smoother and quieter than the f1's, have more grip, and are far less expensive. They seem to be wearing very well too. They are NOT EMT's though. But, thats why I have roadside assistance. ;)

Overall, I highly recommend you look into these as well. If you search the forum for tire reviews, you'll see a few good reviews of this tire here.

Ladis

KTSwanson
05-02-06, 06:25 PM
I replaced the rear F1s with RFA-EMTs, and the car started "wiggling" like crazy on irregular pavement, so had the suspension stiffened up significantly. The RFAs were moved to the front, F1s on the rear, and it was fine. Then had to replace the rear F1s, so chose RFAs to match the front, and the wiggle was back, essentially negating all the suspension tweeks I'd done. Replaced the (essentially new) RFAs with Toyo Proxe T1rs, and the handling is back where it should be. The RFA-EMTs are now on Ebay...never again.

GAGS-V
05-02-06, 11:39 PM
Make sure that if you get Goodyear rsa's get the emt, not the standard. This is a great tire, stiff sidewall, smoother ride, and I do believe we will get much better wear.

05-03-06, 06:07 AM
seems like the regular RSA's are universally recognized as a lousy performance tire, but the EMT RSA seems to be a different animal, at least so go the comments from most people who have them.

NIK
05-03-06, 08:40 AM
Make sure that if you get Goodyear rsa's get the emt, not the standard. This is a great tire, stiff sidewall, smoother ride, and I do believe we will get much better wear.

Exactly!!

XLR-V
05-03-06, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have a friend that owns an automotive shop and found them for me in Tennessee for $274 per.

ntechnic
02-11-07, 04:11 AM
In a 3900lb car with a taut suspension and 245 width, you'll be better off with runflats. The V is more sensitive to sidewall stiffness than most cars. If you're unhappy with the RSA RFTs, try a different RFT tire.
I agree with thebigjimsho, I replaced my F1s with Goodrich KDW2's, probably the best value tire that fits our cars. Only $164 each from Tire Rack.

Had to play with pressures, the F1s were great tires, but I can't afford $1,600 every year for tires, I have other things to fund. But the non-runflat KDW2's would fold the front sidewall over at the same 30 pounds I used to run (cold inflation) on the F1s. I bumped up the pressure in steps until I reached 33 PSI cold, and the KDW2's finally became happy on the car.

Still don't have the go-kart turn-in and steering feel of the F1s, but call it 95% as good for 60% less money.

tedcmiller
02-12-07, 12:57 PM
thebigjimsho is correct on all points.

For anyone who is willing to go with non-Goodyears, I am running Bridgestone RE050 run-flats. They seem to hold the road as well as the F1s, but will probably last at least twice as long. The down sides are a little flat-spotting in cold weather, and somewhat reduced wet weather performance.

thebigjimsho
02-12-07, 01:55 PM
Nice! Good to see I'm getting some love for posts from the past...