: Just got stuck in my car!!! (True Story)

RayP
04-29-06, 10:57 PM
First time posting: 11PM tonight I go to pick up my son from and work and drive back home...30 mins round trip. Pull into my driveway and turn off the key. As soon as I do I know the car is dead...no lights to be seen anywhere and the door locks are locked. My son and I are sitting in the car and I realize that we are locked "IN" the car! I use my cell phone and call the wife to tell her we are trapped in the car, in the driveway. How Embarrasing!!! Long story short, while I was contemplating how to explain to her to use my battery charger I remembered the probs with the dimmer switch on the ceiling...slid it back and forth a couple of times and *ding* power came back on. Unlocked the doors and got out of the car.
I never thought about how potentially dangerous this electrical gremlin the caddy has can be! Going to the dealer soon as possible and wondering what else might I have them check out besides the possible short in the dimmer switch? Also, I was playing a dvd during the drive up and back if it matters and I had to jump the car this morning after sitting for one day. All radio stations and settings came back...only the clock reset back to 12.

50 4Ever
04-29-06, 11:03 PM
Bummer. On my '05 the manual locks have an indentation so you can unlock the doors manually.

:eek:

ctsvett
04-29-06, 11:11 PM
You jumped it that morning? Sounds like it could be some weird computer thing.... Could you duplicate it again?

Reed

RayP
04-29-06, 11:12 PM
You know what, now that I have calmed down I remember that I have those indentations too! I got so spoiled with all of the auto features that I never even thought about that! Still, has anyone experienced the dimmer switch glitch to that degree? That is if it's even was the dimmer that is shorting.

wildwhl
04-29-06, 11:12 PM
Door locks can be pulled up manually, no?

Is this a blondestar joke ;)

WW

RayP
04-29-06, 11:19 PM
Cts vett,

I bought this car day after Thanksgiving with 19K on it and haven't had a prob until this week...29K miles. Tues. I was in a parking lot after picking up my son jumped in and no power. I got out closed the door opened it and got back in turned the key and she started back up. That time I didn't touch anything else but the ignition...clock reset back to 12. I am going to try and duplicate this tomorrow..somehow. I want to be ready for the dealer.

wildwhl
04-29-06, 11:26 PM
Interesting. Could be as simple as a bad connection at the battery. I've had a drained battery from the dimmer switch being set to on, but nothing else. I've also had the RAP hang on too long once and run the battery very, very low.

Good luck!

WW

RayP
04-29-06, 11:33 PM
Thanks! Funny thing though once power comes back battery shows "ok" on the display and the terminals are tight and clean. Since the loss of power earlier this week no probs at all until this morning and she was dead again. I'll let you all know what the dealer says.

Silver Dollar
04-30-06, 07:25 AM
A battery with a bad celll will also cause this to occur.

ctsvett
04-30-06, 12:48 PM
it sounds like the car is going into a hybernation mode (to protect the battery from draining)... when you do something (open door, play iwth dimmer switch) it is bringing it out of that mode... internesting... let me poke around a bit..

Reed

cash
04-30-06, 07:43 PM
Possibly take to the dealer and gett the computer updated. On 04's there was a TSB, somthing to do witht the the computer not seeing a VIN# in it and it thinks the computer/car is stolen. Possibly not perfect explination but somthing like that.

I found this out when my wife's 05 was being tuned and the tuner could not get it tuned properly. He took it to a local dealer, had the PCM reflashed and everything was good.

Before this was done we had an occasional problem with the car not starting. Since this was done we have had no problems with starting, knock on wood.

SwampFox
05-01-06, 03:59 PM
I had the dead car one time at about 800miles. While jumping the batt, it came alive. Since then no incident.

Barak
05-03-06, 04:16 PM
Does anyone remember the episode of Family Guy where Peter locks himself inside his car?

11PM tonight I go to pick up my son

You're procreating?!:thepan:

How Embarrasing!!!

Embarrassing would have been your son, or your wife on the phone, telling you that you're an idiot and to just open the lock manually. But making this story your first post on the most popular Cadillac forum on the internet, I'm afraid embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm kidding though, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. A friend of a friend of mine actually kicked out his window when the same situation happened to him, so don't feel too bad. The guy suffered from acute claustrophobia apparently.

I hope this does not make it onto the SRT8 forums, because I'm sure they'd have a field day with it. If it does happen to make its way over there, at least we'll know who to look for....:tisk:

TampaV
05-03-06, 04:25 PM
I hope this does not make it onto the SRT8 forums, because I'm sure they'd have a field day with it. If it does happen to make its way over there, at least we'll know who to look for....:tisk:

He's banned over there for picking fights with the list moderator.:rant2:

Luna.
05-03-06, 04:38 PM
Is this a blondestar joke ;)

WW

LOL--that was exactly my initial thoughts...:)

OldRoadDawg
05-03-06, 05:04 PM
Coudn't resist

http://humor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.smartelic.com/