: G Meter From Thunderhill On GS-D3's

50 4Ever
04-29-06, 08:27 PM
Just looked at my g meter from Thunderhill last Thursday. It was 1.22/1.25, on GS-D3's:eek: I never expected they would do this good. I would imagine this is about all you could get out of them, the last two sessions I pushed it and they were screaming around most all of the highspeed turns, even the off camber ones. I would venture to guess that the Hotchkis Sway Bars helped significantly.

:bouncy:

04CTSVFLA
04-29-06, 08:46 PM
fe4 or fg2? AND DOES nyone know how big of a difference the shocks make if u have the sways.

50 4Ever
04-29-06, 08:59 PM
fe4 or fg2? AND DOES nyone know how big of a difference the shocks make if u have the sways.

Stock ones, FE4 I think.

wildwhl
04-29-06, 09:22 PM
The shocks are a huge difference, with our without the sways. I've had it both ways. Also lowered, and not.

If you want your V to really handle a notch or two above the FE4 - go FG2. Firm - yes. But great handling.

WW

kali_cts03
06-13-06, 02:08 AM
Ok, you V-nuts :stirpot: .... LOL

What is this G-Meter, and it's purpose...:hmm: (so - I don't know :eek: )

VELOSE
06-13-06, 02:11 AM
That must have taken some effort. Nice one Doug. ;)

kali_cts03
06-13-06, 03:18 AM

Ok now, but what is it - I realy don't know!!! :worship:

rgd
06-13-06, 04:25 AM
Ok now, but what is it - I realy don't know!!! :worship:

G meter measures the G force around a turn. It saves the highest G rating until you re-set it.

kali_cts03
06-13-06, 08:50 AM
G meter measures the G force around a turn. It saves the highest G rating until you re-set it.

So, the higher the number the better results.... :hmm: or lower the number better results.... :hmm:

What would be a normal everyday turn G-meter reading compared to that of the one posted here at 1.22/1.25.... and why is there a 0.03 difference :confused: I take it that means left and right side.....

ophio6
06-13-06, 09:35 AM
So, the higher the number the better results.... :hmm: or lower the number better results.... :hmm:

What would be a normal everyday turn G-meter reading compared to that of the one posted here at 1.22/1.25.... and why is there a 0.03 difference :confused: I take it that means left and right side.....

Yes, the difference is the g-force in a left turn and a right turn. My G-meter record so far is only .75/.76 :( . I'm gonna hafta do better if I want to get any respect in this forum.

Seattle CTS-V
06-13-06, 02:30 PM
Yes, the difference is the g-force in a left turn and a right turn. My G-meter record so far is only .75/.76 :( . I'm gonna hafta do better if I want to get any respect in this forum.

Yikes, you really do need to push her a little harder :)

50 4Ever
06-13-06, 03:44 PM

A little effort. On most of the big sweeping turns at TH all 4 tires were screaming around the turns (turns 1, 2, 5A, & 6). Turn 2 is great when you take it correctly and can steer with the gas pedal.

One thing I learned is that GS-D3's are not the best track tires because I was rolling the blocks. The tread pattern is a big "V" shape and the blocks that make up the tire tread all had a big ridge of rubber on one side of all of the blocks.

I think I was pushing the GS-D3's about to the limit. Saw some Nitto's up there that were essentially street legal slicks, now those would increase the pucker factor.

I've been going back and forth about a Maggie and I keep thinking that if I had a Maggie I might end up off the track. The V has awesome power and acceleration as it is. There was a supercharged Subaru behind me once and when I rounded 6 I got on it, when I was braking for 10, I looked in my rearview and he hadn't even crested 9 yet. After the session was over he came over and said "that car has some legs, you just left me in the dust". Made my day.

:thumbsup:

VELOSE
06-13-06, 03:52 PM
That must be the first Subaru I've heard of that's supercharged though. :p

50 4Ever
06-13-06, 04:08 PM
That must be the first Subaru I've heard of that's supercharged though. :p

Turbocharged not Supercharged, I've got to get my terms correct. :bang2:

Impreza WRX STi

Type: Turbocharged Flat-4
Displacement cu in (cc): 150 (2457)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 300(224) / 6000
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 300(407) / 4000
Weight 3298 lbs.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/07/imprezawrxsti06.jpg

darvish
06-13-06, 08:12 PM
Those are some impressive numbers for a street car on street tires,,,,,i think that G meter may be a bit optimistic... especially with stock shocks,, i would be willing to bet there is no body roll compensation built into the g meter,, the body roll would tend to increase the reading on the G meter. If i get a chance ill get the data recorder and put it in the caddy and see what i can do with a roll compensated G meter,,, i would bet 1.0 would be the absolute limit on this car with street tires..

Bill
St Louis

rgd
06-13-06, 09:05 PM
Those are some impressive numbers for a street car on street tires,,,,,i think that G meter may be a bit optimistic... especially with stock shocks,, i would be willing to bet there is no body roll compensation built into the g meter,, the body roll would tend to increase the reading on the G meter. If i get a chance ill get the data recorder and put it in the caddy and see what i can do with a roll compensated G meter,,, i would bet 1.0 would be the absolute limit on this car with street tires..

Bill
St Louis

I don't know how how the G meter is set up but I can say this, my car is lowered with 200# and 250# over stock spring ratings front to back, Qa1 Shocks and Hotchkis Sway Bars so there is little if any body roll. With that setup and I can register 1.25 to 1.28 on just about any circular on/off freeway ramp. That would be on cold Azinas tires by the way; I know because the freeway is 2 minutes from my house and I do it every day! Hell it's the highlight of my mornings most days.

I would be interested to see what your results are, let us know!

BBV
06-13-06, 11:38 PM
The generally accepted practice for reporting maximum lateral acceleration (Gís) is using a flat 300 foot diameter circle, aka skid pad. Driving the car around that 300 ft dia. Circle and increasing speed until it looses grip and recording the maximum lateral acceleration at the very point that the tries loose grip.

My guess is that the accelerometers in our Vís only measure the horizontal component which is all we really care about.

As a baseline I see reports of stock C6 Corvetteís doing 1g or a bit better on a skid pad.

It is totally reasonable to see our accelerometers record numbers greater than 1g, I have done it myself. On the track it is easy to induce an impulse grater than 1g it just can not be sustained for more than a couple of milliseconds before you have a bad day.

My hat is off to you 50 4Ever!
Sounds like you had a great time.

mostoyzwinz
06-13-06, 11:55 PM
it is easy to induce an impulse grater than 1g it just can not be sustained for more than a couple of milliseconds before you have a bad day.

Agreed in theory, but I guess the # is >1 with setup described.

teros1
06-14-06, 12:13 AM
Just curious...what were the lap times corresponding to those G readings?

Thanks,

Bob

Dennisscars
06-14-06, 12:31 AM
I can vouch for 50 4Ever he don't let no grass grow under his feet..

BBV
06-14-06, 01:10 AM
Just to clarifyÖ
Iím not doubting a word of what 50 4Ever has said.
To the contrary.
Iím sure his g meter recorded the numbers he posted and I have no reason to believe he is not a hot shoe.
I am grinning ear to ear anticipating my next track event in July.
These Vís were born and bread to be road raced at the track on Sunday, take the kids to school and get the groceries on Monday.

VELOSE
06-14-06, 01:18 AM
I recently had a short in my wiring. The battery was disconnected. Prior to the disconnection, I had 1.23L and 1.28R on stock F1 runcraps. I hope to get that number back on June 22nd T-hill track day. ;)

50 4Ever
06-14-06, 02:45 AM
Just curious...what were the lap times corresponding to those G readings?

Thanks,

Bob

I didn't have a transponder so I have no idea of the lap times, but I would imagine they were fairly slow. It's just a gut feeling but I think I can negotiate the track better in the Corvette.

Dennisscars
06-14-06, 09:59 AM
I'm finding getting a decent lap time is more difficult than expected, not so much from going fast, but it doesn't take much to throw it off due to the fact that it counts from start to finish line. For example, allowing a pass by, yellow flag, getting off line for 1 or more turns. It seems you need 3 good clean laps just to make one good one. If you are doing good until the last turn, for what ever reason then that lap is shot, second lap is clean, 3rd lap 2 turn you let a radical by, that lap is shot, 4th lap a Rustang spins out in front of you, either T bone him or let off, that lap shot. So for 7-8 lap session you have to have some good luck or be by yourself.

Out of say 12 turns one could have some high g turns in most or some of them and still have the lower elapse times.

teros1
06-14-06, 10:46 AM
I didn't have a transponder so I have no idea of the lap times, but I would imagine they were fairly slow. It's just a gut feeling but I think I can negotiate the track better in the Corvette.

Fair enough...thanks!

I've been to T-hill dozens of times on my bike, and have found that my fastest laps (2:06-2:08) were the "calmest-feeling" (and maybe the lowest G).

I've never been to a track in the V (or any car), but I'm just trying to correlate car-bike data.

You guys are making me want to go, however! :stirpot:

(My SO made me sell my track bike due to a bad high-side at Buttonwillow last season....)

All the best,

Bob

50 4Ever
06-14-06, 01:11 PM
I'm finding getting a decent lap time is more difficult than expected, not so much from going fast, but it doesn't take much to throw it off due to the fact that it counts from start to finish line. For example, allowing a pass by, yellow flag, getting off line for 1 or more turns. It seems you need 3 good clean laps just to make one good one. If you are doing good until the last turn, for what ever reason then that lap is shot, second lap is clean, 3rd lap 2 turn you let a radical by, that lap is shot, 4th lap a Rustang spins out in front of you, either T bone him or let off, that lap shot. So for 7-8 lap session you have to have some good luck or be by yourself.

Out of say 12 turns one could have some high g turns in most or some of them and still have the lower elapse times.

I agree. My problem at TH is the 10, 11, 12, 13 complex. If you blow 10 you're screwed for the rest of the complex. I have turned in too earky several times on 11 and that causes me to slow down or go over the rumble strip on 12. The extra weight of the V is really noticeable, compared to the Corvette, which is a little more forgiving.

Dennis, it was sure fun watching you on the track. I remember one time I was on the outside steps of the main building (with your wife, she was taking pictures), it was something to hear you round 15 and all I could hear until you passed was the whine of Maggie (or was that the diff:rolleyes: ).

BBV
06-14-06, 05:53 PM
my fastest laps (2:06-2:08) were the "calmest-feeling" (and maybe the lowest G)

That's the key... smooth = fast.

Dennisscars
06-14-06, 08:58 PM
Some of my fastest times didn't feel like I was trying that hard, and the car really wanted to go around the track... on line and smooth wins the race.

it was something to hear you round 15 and all I could hear until you passed was the whine of Maggie (or was that the diff:rolleyes: ).

Gosh, could you imagine if that was coming from both ends? I'm lucky, I'm one of the few "one diff" members. 'wonder if they make a louder x-pipe?

I'm the luckiest guy in the world... :worship:my wife let's me do this AND pulls the trailer, AND team photographer, AND doesn't care to drive my car(s). Geez I'd better go buy some flowers or something...:eek:

mostoyzwinz
06-15-06, 12:32 PM
I'm one of the few "one diff" members.

Check out the last poll, there's a lot of us 'one diff' members. 77% (nothing to brag about GM) of the poll responders to be exact.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/survey/results4.php

Oh yeah, only 15% of us are road racing.

50 4Ever
06-15-06, 05:02 PM

I'm the luckiest guy in the world... :worship:my wife let's me do this AND pulls the trailer, AND team photographer, AND doesn't care to drive my car(s). Geez I'd better go buy some flowers or something...:eek:

Does she have a sister? :bouncy:

Dennisscars
06-15-06, 09:01 PM
yes, but I got the cute one.. :thumbsup:

Check out the last poll, there's a lot of us 'one diff' members. 77% (nothing to brag about GM) of the poll responders to be exact.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/survey/results4.php

Oh yeah, only 15% of us are road racing.

The way it sounds around here is that they all krap..

wonder how many of the 15% are first diff'ers.

50 4Ever
06-16-06, 09:26 PM
yes, but I got the cute one.. :thumbsup:

The way it sounds around here is that they all krap..

wonder how many of the 15% are first diff'ers.

I'm a first diff'er:thumbsup: