: Solving a mysterious clunk

wildwhl
04-29-06, 04:05 PM
So I have this outrageous clunk (not parade clunk, etc.) coming from the rear of the V. It sounds like the passenger rear - especially when hitting sharp transitions (potholes) with that wheel. It is ALWAYS there with any transition at slow speeds (like left hand turn into a driveway, over a speed bump, etc.). I also have outrageous wheel hop on that side despite Spectre bushings and BMR cross bar with GSD3's. Much worse than ever at this point.

First suspect was the GC kit - then the shock spacers - but I went to stock ride height with stock springs, FE4 shocks and stock spacers and still had the noise. Then I thought maybe the Hots bar was contacting something - but there is absolutely no evidence of that and plenty of clearance everywhere.

Today, I pop her up on jackstands yet again. Place the floor jack under the lower suspension arm and as soon as I start to compress the suspension there's that clunk. I have a friend crack the jack valve partially open and repeatedly lightly compress the suspension (in a pumping motion) and the sound repeats. I crawl under with a flash light and for the life of me CAN'T SEE WHERE IT IS COMING FROM!!!

The 3 diff bushings appear to be intact and not moving around much. But if I watch the lower suspension arm as soon as it compresses it shifts ever so slightly forward.

So, does this mean control arm bushings are shot? The dealer pointed to the GC coilovers when I asked them. I need to identify it clearly to get it properly taken care of.

I'm supposed to be packing for vacation but this is killing me...any thoughts? If it weren't for this sound the V would be our vehicle for this planned 8 day trip through CA.

WW

KTSwanson
04-29-06, 04:52 PM
I solved one of my rear end mysterious clunks...pulled out the factory bucket in preparation for putting a spare tire since I got rid of run-flats and went to Toyo Proxes T1Rs, and lo-and-behold, there was a box cutter knife left in from the factory, bouncing around between the wheel well and the plastic bucket...now there's one less clunk! (Still have a couple of low speed clunks, however).

ace996
04-29-06, 05:54 PM
Wild,
I have the same clunk...for the 2nd time. First time, it was the rear-Control-arm bushing. They listed the part as the rear knuckle bushing. Same exact sound as last time, its back again.
Since it's happening when you compress the suspension and you see it shift when moved, that may be it.

I thought I was the only one with this problem...
-ace

wildwhl
04-29-06, 06:11 PM
Well, my dad just stopped by and sometimes a second pair of eyes is helpful. He reached up and spun the front trailing arm bolt by hand.

Dealer had that off a few weeks ago looking for something (I suspect) and never retorqued it. I'm the idiot that didn't think to check it. Now it looks a bit wallowed out. My bolts are reverse from stock installing from the bottom with the nut above the frame rail (long story, don't ask).

Noise is gone, but there is another one there. Could be control arm bushing warn out from the slop caused by the other piece? Now only a half dozen other issues to resolve...including installing that Snow Performance meth kit.

I'm one fickle f'er sometimes...still want a Porsche though.

WW