: DTS vs. Lucerne

JCM1
04-29-06, 12:38 AM
I recently was accompanying my mother at the dealership in search of a new car once her current lease expires later this year. She currently has an SUV and I think the novelty of having a truck has worn off. The two vehicals that she was most interested in where the DTS with the Performance Package or the Buick Lucerne CXS. I get the impression she is leaning more towards the Lucerne based on the styling. I don't think she likes the DTS rear end. As far as performance, handling, and most importantly for her, ride comfort how do these two cars compare?

Caddy Man
04-29-06, 02:21 PM
honestly, If you get the best trim level LUcerne which is the CXS, I think the two cars are virtually identical. But hte Buick is just cheaper since its a Buick. They have the same engine, same interior pretty much, same suspension, if the name dosnt matter of owning a cadillac, id go for the Buick. By the way, I really like the Lucerne CXS...beautiful car!

caddycruiser
04-29-06, 04:30 PM
Yes, true. A Lucerne CXS has or can have basically everything a DTS Performance does, except the look and the Caddy emblem.

Same Magneride suspension, same size 18" wheels, same Northstar, etc. Basically identical guts, but a different body and interior...and a HUGE difference in price.

Tombo47
04-29-06, 06:34 PM
DTS performance will handle, more sporty. More "fun" to drive. But For her id say go for the buick, i doubt shes goona hit highway ramps at 50

harryctsv
04-30-06, 12:56 PM
DTS performance will handle, more sporty. More "fun" to drive. But For her id say go for the buick, i doubt shes goona hit highway ramps at 50
Tombo, I would say both are good cars but the interior of the DTS looks much richer than the Lucerne`s. I drive beside my XLR a 00 DTS too and it`s a very good built car and never had any problems.
Harry

JCM1
04-30-06, 01:32 PM
Is there any significant build quality differnences between the DTS and the Lucerne?

caddycruiser
04-30-06, 04:45 PM
Is there any significant build quality differnences between the DTS and the Lucerne?

No. Besides the overall interior theme being a tad richer, as was mentioned, both cars come off the SAME factory line one in front of the other, and are pretty much identical through and through in every category of build quality.

Both are VERY strong in this regard, as were even the last gen models.

JCM1
04-30-06, 08:00 PM
Is there still a night vison option on the DTS?

Jesda
05-01-06, 11:20 AM
Night vision is gone.

JCM1
05-02-06, 02:14 PM
Damn, I wonder why. I thought it was a good idea.

Caddy Man
05-02-06, 03:26 PM
Damn, I wonder why. I thought it was a good idea.
more novelty than somethign you would use. I had a DTS with nightvision...awesome feature to show off, especially when girls wouldnt belive you had it until you showed them ;) But not a whole lot of use from it.

annie
05-02-06, 06:07 PM
Benz was showing off a night vision like system for its futer models it was a lot clearer than the cadillacs and used a screen like the crysler pacificas navigation screen.

once again GM comes out with a great idea stops using it and then sees another manufacter slittly improve on it after watching what GM did wrong and then take credit .

strindl
05-03-06, 07:44 AM
I've driven a luxry III DTS, and just had the opportunity to drive a Lucerne the other day. Both impressed me as quality vehicles.

The Buick I drove had the 3800 V6, and that engine was just fine in it. Plenty of power, and it ran very smooth and quiet. It's not as modern, technology wise as the Northstar, but the 3800 is a reliable, proven performer that gives great gas milage in the vehicles it is used in. GM has sold over 25 million of them since it was first introduced.

That being said, I do prefer the DTS over the Lucerne overall. This is subjective, of course, but styling wise I love the exterior of the DTS, and find the Lucerne just ok.

The interior is no comparison..the DTS wins hands down for looks and luxury. The DTS also includes LED tail lights which just look really cool, as well as bi xenon HID headlamps, neither of which are available on the Buick.

The other factor is price..the Lucerne is a good deal less pricey, for basically the same car. Tough choice.

JCM1
05-04-06, 09:06 PM
Well, I told my mother to do a 24 hour test drive of each car and see what she thinks then. She was dissapointed to learn about the night vision being scrapped. She can't see for shit at night and thought it would be a nice safety feature.

Zorb750
05-07-06, 05:10 AM
The night vision being scrapped was due to the cost of the device. The option was a loss leader to GM. (It cost more to put it on the car than the option was stickered for.) That and it was a very expensive option to boot.

The cameras were also prone to lens damage and were often not repairable.

They need to find a way to protect the camera lens on existing cars because Raytheon doesn't make that camera anymore.

Caddy Man
07-17-06, 06:47 PM
one thing I will say I abosultly HATE in the new DTS is that stupid ''chrome'' surround on the clock. Looks very cheap and plasticky. They should not have put that border in the otherwise great interior.