: Antique Cadillac Owner

Liseckas
03-23-03, 10:44 PM
I decided to join this forum with the hopes that there may be other antique Cadillac owners like myself out there. I haven't been able to find any other Cadillac forums as good as this one.
If there are memebrs out there with interests in old Cadillacs, drop me a line since I am a wealth of information on Cadillacs before 1970. Please be patient though, I do have a day job. I have only recently become interested in new Cadillacs because finally, Cadillac has started to build cars with distinctive character and impressive performance.....AGAIN. Cadillac is finally building cars for the auto enthusiast.
It's not your grandfather's car anymore!

JerseyGirl
03-23-03, 11:35 PM
Welcome!!!!!!!! I love the older Caddys myself! :banana: Although most of the ones I have now are newer...older Caddys ROCK! Have fun on the forums!

DeVillish
03-24-03, 12:36 AM
my dream car...is it a lamb, viper, ferrari? NO, 59 coupe DeVIlle! Beautiful car and i LOVE the fins!

Ralph
03-24-03, 01:17 AM
I'll take a 1970 with a 500 ci engine please.

kcnewell
03-24-03, 10:39 AM
'57 '58 '59 great era for Cadillacs! The styling was so outlandish for the times! They personified what Cadillac was all about!

Eldo1953
03-24-03, 06:50 PM
I have owned quite a few '50's Caddys over the years. Do you have any pics of your '51? I have a '51 Coupe parts car.

Night Wolf
03-24-03, 08:20 PM
We hvae a '71 Fleetwood limo, although it is when the emmsions controls junk got the best of it, still a real nice car.

DeVillish--- my dream car is a fully restored '59 Eldorado ;)

Liseckas
03-25-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Eldo1953
I have owned quite a few '50's Caddys over the years. Do you have any pics of your '51? I have a '51 Coupe parts car.
You can see my car at: http://www.geocities.com/cadillac_1951_series_62_coupe/Cadillac_516237.html

Liseckas
03-25-03, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Panther
We hvae a '71 Fleetwood limo, although it is when the emmsions controls junk got the best of it, still a real nice car.

DeVillish--- my dream car is a fully restored '59 Eldorado ;)
Actually the '71 is not so choked with emissions equipment as you may think. The 472 engine was relatively unchanged from the original '68 model. It was rated at a healthy 375 HP and 525 ft.lbs. of torque (gross figures). The cars still had plenty of punch. It was in 1973 when these engines started getting more and more strangled with emissions garbage. Best of all with the 8.8:1 compression ratio you can still run it on regular gas but it may ping under very hard acceleration, but at that point you'll be burning the rubber off your tires.

Liseckas
03-25-03, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I'll take a 1970 with a 500 ci engine please.
Excellent choice for a modern vehicle. The 500 is a brute of an engine yet quite reliable and easy to work on. Parts are easy to come by and fairly inexpensive.

Night Wolf
03-26-03, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Liseckas
Actually the '71 is not so choked with emissions equipment as you may think. The 472 engine was relatively unchanged from the original '68 model. It was rated at a healthy 375 HP and 525 ft.lbs. of torque (gross figures). The cars still had plenty of punch. It was in 1973 when these engines started getting more and more strangled with emissions garbage. Best of all with the 8.8:1 compression ratio you can still run it on regular gas but it may ping under very hard acceleration, but at that point you'll be burning the rubber off your tires.

DAMN! that's alotta tourqe.

well, my father said the emmisons got the best of it, becuase the '70 Fleetwood (non-limo) they had, the engine had a consderable amount of more power, and the '71 never would idel correctly becuase of the emmsions. it has 108k origanal miles, and my father said the engine has a slight knock to it, probally needs to be rebuilt

My father used to use it witht he weddings (has the "here comes the bride" horn, swithable, along with dual climate control (front and back are 2 sepearte units) and the people in the back could control the radio.

Then they got a '79 Lincon limo, my father said just becuase the Caddy was getting old, the '79 was the last year for the big engine (which ever one that was) I persoanlly like the Caddy alot more :D

Liseckas
03-26-03, 08:48 PM
The Caddy is by far a better car. The Lincoln is nothing more than an expensive Ford. Keep the Caddy going! Look for a vacuum leak at the back of carb, or check the vacuum fitting at the power brake unit. It may be the power brake unit itself. It could be that you have the car leaned out too much. You car should idle smooth as silk. There really aren't too many vaccum lines on the '71. You could start by pluging the fittings one by one and see if it makes a difference. Your limo also weighed nearly 800 pounds more than the '70 Fleetwood which may account for it feeling not as powerful.
Good Luck!

BUILDINGCTSAMG
03-26-03, 08:51 PM
oh and you can always just make a supercharger

Jk

Liseckas
03-26-03, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by BUILDINGCTSAMG
oh and you can always just make a supercharger

Jk

HUH?
WHAT?
A SUPERCHARGER?
That'll cost more than the car itself.
:burn:

Night Wolf
03-27-03, 09:16 PM
The Caddy is by far a better car. The Lincoln is nothing more than an expensive Ford. Keep the Caddy going! Look for a vacuum leak at the back of carb, or check the vacuum fitting at the power brake unit. It may be the power brake unit itself. It could be that you have the car leaned out too much. You car should idle smooth as silk. There really aren't too many vaccum lines on the '71. You could start by pluging the fittings one by one and see if it makes a difference. Your limo also weighed nearly 800 pounds more than the '70 Fleetwood which may account for it feeling not as powerful.
Good Luck!

Well, it's really my grandfathers car (becuase he owns the bussiness, it's a Villa, apartments, lounge and dinning room among other things) and the car is just sitting up in the big garage, just where it was for the last like 10years. just no time to run it or anything.

The amount of old cars we have at that place is just crazy, my father is a huge Pontiac fan, and can never part with any of his cars, granted most are outside, rusted and rotted, there are over 12 old car sitting around, about 4 in ok-good shape sitting in the garage that just need TLC and maybe 2 or 3 we actually use for the bussiness, that is not counting the machineary ('68 John Deere backhoe, dozer etc...) It is really crazy, and there are some cars, that if restored, would be hella nice.

Liseckas
03-27-03, 11:12 PM
So many cars so little time.

Ralph
03-28-03, 01:33 AM
Yea, I found out about the 500 from a 1971 MotorTrend magazine my dad still has. The reason he still has it is because he bought a car that month after reading it. Not a Caddy, mind you, but a nice 442 W-30 Oldsmobile. Imagine buying gas for the 500 ci. today!

Liseckas
03-28-03, 12:04 PM
I could imagine. The gas prices in Canada are quite a bit higher than here in the USA. It's kind of deceiving when we come up there and see a price about 50 cents for fuel and then realise that the price is per litre!

Scrapyard
03-28-03, 02:58 PM
Talk about Caddy's sitting in a garage screaming to be driven. My Aunt has a 49 Fleetwood sitting in her garage that was my great grandfathers. It's been sitting some 40 odd years now. there's a 2 inch layer of dust over the whole car. The interior is prestine. What happened was, when my GGF passed away she drove the car home and parked it in the garage. She stoped driving soon after that. My cousin attempted to start the thing a few years back. It turned over but wouldn't fire. I can only imagen the amount of varnish in the fuel system. I had asked her about it a few times. She said it has sentamental value. I can have it after she passes. I don't want to wait that long! I owned a rusted out 59 Coupe DeVille about a year and a half ago that I reluctently sold due to lack of funds to restore. After I sell my current car I'm gona be looking for either an early 50's or early 60's Caddy to step in.

Liseckas
03-29-03, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Scrapyard
Talk about Caddy's sitting in a garage screaming to be driven. My Aunt has a 49 Fleetwood sitting in her garage that was my great grandfathers. It's been sitting some 40 odd years now. there's a 2 inch layer of dust over the whole car. The interior is prestine. What happened was, when my GGF passed away she drove the car home and parked it in the garage. She stoped driving soon after that. My cousin attempted to start the thing a few years back. It turned over but wouldn't fire. I can only imagen the amount of varnish in the fuel system. I had asked her about it a few times. She said it has sentamental value. I can have it after she passes. I don't want to wait that long! I owned a rusted out 59 Coupe DeVille about a year and a half ago that I reluctently sold due to lack of funds to restore. After I sell my current car I'm gona be looking for either an early 50's or early 60's Caddy to step in.

Whatever you do, don't put a 12 volt battery in the 49 Caddy. car. The car runs on a 6 volt system and you will burn out whatever electrical accessory that car has.

Scrapyard
03-29-03, 01:48 PM
Whatever you do, don't put a 12 volt battery in the 49 Caddy. car. The car runs on a 6 volt system and you will burn out whatever electrical accessory that car has.
Oh, I know. I'm not worried about it right now though. The car is safley (knocks on wood:D ) stored in the same spot it's been sitting all this time. She is pretty adament about not parting with it nor do I have the funds to get it home and running again. It's in NH, I'm in FL. It's really not a good time for me to be screwing around with it anyway. I have a project bike I need to put on hold for the moment already because I'm trying to relocate and such.

Ralph
03-30-03, 03:16 AM
Actually the price of gas today was 78.9 cents a litre. You mentioned 50 cents when you were up here, that must have been a while ago. Yea, we think you aren't really paying much in the States for gas considering the price is per gallon. Oh well, I hope because of the war it doesnot go up too much, I want to enjoy my new car and I have to buy premium.

Liseckas
03-30-03, 01:08 PM
That was the price I saw Edmonton a few months back. I have noticed that locally the price of fuel has dropped by about .10 a gallon in the last few days. Since the war started it looks like the price of fuel might be on the way down...I hope.

jbs
06-17-10, 01:07 AM
Hi All,
my first post. Im the proud owner of a 1960 drop top series 62.