: AMG Challenge to improve my CTS-V skills

KTSwanson
04-28-06, 02:41 PM
Just signed up for the 2006 MB AMG Challenge at Calif Speedway, Fontana, 5/11, for a full track day with instruction and all AMG models to help me handle my maggied CTS-V better...not cheap, but way less than an AMG...see https://www.mbevents.com/welcome.asp . Full day with clinics, timed autocross, performance driving exercises, and hot laps with pros:holycrap:

blown black caddy
04-28-06, 03:16 PM
Fontucky is a fun track. Visually boring sometimes but tight enough in the back sections to keep you on your toes. I've done it on my bike but not in a car yet! Have fun.:thumbsup:

KTSwanson
05-12-06, 08:48 PM
Spent yesterday driving all the AMGs, with pro drivers, and alone, timed autocross, track driving, skid pads (cars up on moving lifts to simulate low traction), full throttle timed accellerations, and open lapping; we were generally maxing at 120 on the large oval, then hot lapped with pros driving at 150 mph. After driving all the AMGs, several observations: 1) these are phenomenally powerful accellerators, and decent handlers. 2) The interiors put GM to shame. 3) These cars are too isolating for me...the eerie sensation of travelling at 150 mph in silence, with A/C on, gives little sense of the tremendous speed you're travelling. 4) The fun factor is way less than the CTS-V, especially one with a hearty exhaust and a Maggie. 5) I much prefer a manual transmission...while track driving obviously requires much technique and skill to do well, there was too much of a sense of "point the car and step on the gas (or brake)", without the added challenge and involvement of the left foot and right hand. While the day was no doubt designed to make me yearn for an AMG, it actually persuaded me that my CTS-V is pretty darn fun, and hard to beat (in many ways!).

Kyle15
05-12-06, 10:19 PM
If you were driving right you should have been using both feet anyways...but that sounds like a fun day lol.

V-Max
05-13-06, 12:28 PM
I did my AMG Challenge in 2002 at Summit Point. Great event with food and everything. Even won a set of Michelins of my choice for having fastest autocross time. :) For a torque convertered automatic, they do a pretty good job of doing what you want on the track. Considering the MBs are driven around the world the quality of the interior materials and fit/finish is pretty amazing. Then again you get what you pay for... :)

Norm

KTSwanson
05-13-06, 03:26 PM
Perhaps it reflects a shift in MB buyer demographics, but the autocross first prize is now luxury rather than car oriented: serious bling in the form of a several thousand dollar IWC (corporate sponsor) watch (I didn't win it!). In spite of the plastic-y interior, it does make the CTS-V look like pretty good value for performance.
By the way, MB AMGs are switching to 100% Michelin Pilot Sports across the line, for you tire buyers.

Closer_2001
05-15-06, 11:45 PM
A colleague of mine who just picked up an E55 did this class on 5/11...

She said it was excellent!

Gordy Petrovski
05-16-06, 02:04 PM
So driveing an automatic car can make me a better 6 speed driver:hmm:,OK if U say so. Just haveing some fun.

V-Max
05-17-06, 07:53 PM
Probably make you better driver by drawning your concentration to staying off the grass. Some people can't rub their stomach while patting their head. Give it a try, practic, practice, or is it perfect practice. In the end you'll be a better 6-speed driver. :)

Norm

So driveing an automatic car can make me a better 6 speed driver:hmm:,OK if U say so. Just haveing some fun.

KTSwanson
05-18-06, 01:13 AM
I think the benefits of the day were not so much in the type of car being driven as they were in the chance to drive fairly intensely on a variety of courses with a seasoned pro next to you giving advice...and then see him or her do the same course several levels above the typical driver, and effortlessly at that...clearly not all are created equally, and real drivers (like the pros) are in a different league from the rest of us...

Closer_2001
05-22-06, 05:41 PM
What team were you ?? Blue Team ? My colleague wants to know if you were in the same group.

KTSwanson
05-22-06, 06:10 PM
What team were you ?? Blue Team ? My colleague wants to know if you were in the same group.
I was first assigned to blue, then to even out the numbers switched to green (or was it the other way around?)...anyway, we were the group that started the day on the 40 mph go-karts (high performance karts, they called them), if that helps (the karts were as much, if not more fun, than the AMGs; a real sense of pure driving pleasure, sliding the tails around the course, sort of like flying in an open cockpit Waco biplane as compared with a Gulfstream jet).