: "Big Blue" at the lake. A few pics of my 80' coupe deville.

durrk
04-28-06, 12:09 PM
Hey, Whats happenin....

I was going to wait until my minor damage on my car was repaired to post some pics but since it was such a nice day the other day, I decided to take some shots...

Enjoy.

durrk
04-28-06, 12:14 PM
And a few miscellaneous shots...

DopeStar 156
04-28-06, 01:12 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! I want a coupe too dammit......

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-28-06, 02:24 PM
Shes a beaut! I'm really diggin the dark blue! If I were you, I'd get some of the factory wire wheel covers on there! That's just me though...

caddycruiser
04-28-06, 04:12 PM
----

durrk
04-28-06, 05:28 PM
My car thanks you for the compliments fellas,
Heres a little info about the car...

I purchased "Big Blue" (Named by previous owner) a couple months ago with 86500 miles on it from the second owner. The car was garage kept its entire life and the previous owners kept it in great condition.... It has the 6.0 liter 368 engine.

Theres a few mechanical/electric issues like antenna motor doesnt work, power seat is stuck, trunk doesnt stay up, etc... all can get fixed fairly easily...

The dark blue color is a firemist color, Ill get a closeup shot of the paint soon.

And about the wheels, Im actually trying to get some new wheels soon... Hopefully some nice 20"s, These hubcaps are cool for now, They are in terrific condition for being 26 years old and shine up nicely when cleaned...

Now for some ugly pics... This is the minor damage I was talking about. The plastic extender got cracked in winter when I rolled into a pole at blockbuster, and the huge dent in my rear panel is from when some idiot used my car for a brake at the lakefront parking lot last month... Luckily I recieved a check to get that repaired from the guys insurance company. Im taking it in to the best collision shop around to get it restored to its old self within the next couple weeks...

Im also installing an aftermarket deck and speakers this weekend...

creeker
04-28-06, 05:41 PM
Looks nice,I own an 80 also,it's red, 46,000 miles.just curious,on the rear pillar
theres an insignia with a "V" and some writing after it,what does it say, I have the de elegance model ,mine says de elegance in this space,but I dont have the "V" . I agree with other person, some nice whitewalls and spoked caps would really help the appearance.make sure you get a small bottle of paint from body shop when you get car fixed.

creeker
04-28-06, 05:45 PM
I just noticed you said you are installing new speakers,if you dont know how to remove front speakers, let me know and I will tell you,I just went through some hair pulling trying to find out.

durrk
04-28-06, 06:10 PM
I dont think it says under my symbol, theres coupe deville on the side of the vinyl top, and then in the back is the cadillac symbol with the chrome V under it.

Well, yeah Id like to know how to remove the front speakers. Id appreciate your help.

Pete Benson
04-28-06, 06:35 PM
Great looking ride! The dark blue on blue is terrific, and I agree with the others who recommend wires - just don't go too big. When the wheels are so large that the tires look like O-rings it looks ridiculous.

Another suggestion: lose the chrome door guards - they cut the car in half. A small detail, but the car looks cleaner overall without them. Just be careful when you open the doors!

creeker
04-28-06, 06:50 PM
I agree,dont go to big with the wheels, it's a classy looking car,go mild with the wheels. anyway to remove front speakers there are 8 screws, one on each end of dashboard on the ends( open doors to see them) two in each of the defroster vents,there is a long one on underside of dashboard above the
speedometer (look up) by steering column, and then the fun one, best to remove glove box, not hard, another one in there. good luck.

creeker
04-28-06, 08:08 PM
I should have said, you have to remove the dashboard pad, after removing all the screws.(kinda obvious I guess).are you putting in a new sound system or are you putting in an under dash add on.I'm asking because in order for me
to get "collector car" insurance, ($240.00 per year) I cant alter stock appearance in any way,I cannot change stock radio, I put in a under dash am/fm/cd player , I tried to utilize existing speaker wires by splicing into them for new system, doesn't work , had to run new wire for new system.(why,I dont know).If you are removing old radio completly you shouldn't have any problems using stock speaker wires for new system.

durrk
04-28-06, 08:33 PM
Thanks pete benson...

Ive seen some cars like mine with 20"s and they look proper. The car is big and sits higher than most cars so 20"s wont look enormous... I think they will fit the car.

A friend of mine is telling me to buy 150 spoke 20" knockoffs but I see that all of the time, and I want some rims that will look different. Not tacky or out of control, I want it to look good.

But Im not buying rims for a little while so I dont have to worry about that quite yet.

Creeker, Are you saying that you have to pull the whole front dash panel off to get to the 4x6 speakers? The factory grills dont pry off?

yes, this weekend Im removing the old radio and installing a pioneer deck into the car. I have to cut out part of the front dash panel. Nothing huge, just the radio panel. It will look nice and clean after because it will be sanded. Ill post pics...

creeker
04-28-06, 08:51 PM
No,nothing drastic, when you remove the 8 screws, the dashpad alone will come off. I dont know why you have to cut your dash at all, you should be able to buy an inexpensive plastic adaptor plate just for your car. the adaptor plate fits into opening in dash board and the pioneer fits into the plate.
nice and neat.

durrk
04-28-06, 09:01 PM
Well, Thats what I thought at first but Ill try to explain...

Picture your radio.
You see the chrome and wood trim on your radio?
Thats not actually part of the radio but part of the front dash panel....
Then you take the front panel off and its all one piece and the stock radio that looked 2.5" x 8" is really almost twice that size.

I bought a mounting kit and a wire harness for my year from crutchfield.com They send all the instructions you need for the job and its seems pretty easy so far.

Here Ill take a pic of the panel I will be cutting.

durrk
04-28-06, 09:14 PM
Here we go... The black lines are the cut lines...

creeker
04-28-06, 09:17 PM
Sorry to keep throwing curve balls at you but it's been a year since I did my radio another thing to watch out for ,when you have old radio ready to remove .make sure you disconnect antenna connection before completly removing it , when I took mine out I pulled on it ( when I thought I had everything off) the antenna jack came of inside of radio,there isn't much extra antenna lead.when you have enough room to get your hand behind radio,remove antenna jack, jack is at right rear of radio.

creeker
04-28-06, 09:22 PM
I just seen your pictue,I think it's going to look better this way than with an adaptor kit.it's keeping all the stock look of the dash board.

durrk
04-28-06, 09:24 PM
yeah, It even keeps a little of the wood trim, But if that little bit of wood on the sides doesnt look good, Ill black it out.

hey, and any advice is appreciated creeker, Ill make sure check that antenna jack.

creeker
04-28-06, 10:24 PM
Hello again,I'm just curious, I'm Canadian, I live near Vancouver British Columbia
Canada, how much do you pay for reg, gas in Milwaukee?. I pay $1.15 per litre which works out o $5.18 per imperial gal. it works out to $4.14 u.s. gal. we are not exactly driving econo cars.

DopeStar 156
04-29-06, 01:20 AM
Shes a beaut! I'm really diggin the dark blue! If I were you, I'd get some of the factory wire wheel covers on there! That's just me though...
I disagree... I like the disc hubcaps better because they look more retro. Wire hub caps are a dime a dozen, stick with these.

durrk
04-29-06, 01:56 AM
Yeah dopestar, They look good shined up, and will stay on for now...

creeker, I use 89 extra in my car which I think is $3.07 around here at the moment...

Should I be using 89 in my car? It states in the manual to use regular unleaded, but people were telling me to use 89 which is why I use it.

DopeStar 156
04-29-06, 02:32 AM
Yeah dopestar, They look good shined up, and will stay on for now...

creeker, I use 89 extra in my car which I think is $3.07 around here at the moment...

Should I be using 89 in my car? It states in the manual to use regular unleaded, but people were telling me to use 89 which is why I use it.
I do that too.... Mine runs better on 89.

creeker
04-29-06, 11:39 AM
Wha happened?, I seen your answer to my gas cost question, now I cant find it again, must be on a different link? (if that's what it's called,not up on computer terms),this has happened before where everyting is going fine,then they switch links, am I doing something wrong?.

eldorado99
04-29-06, 01:41 PM
Hello again,I'm just curious, I'm Canadian, I live near Vancouver British Columbia
Canada, how much do you pay for reg, gas in Milwaukee?. I pay $1.15 per litre which works out o $5.18 per imperial gal. it works out to $4.14 u.s. gal. we are not exactly driving econo cars.

Haha I know what you mean, I live near Vancouver too but I have to buy premium for my '70 Deville, and the big block in there makes short work of it too.

durrk
04-29-06, 01:42 PM
eh, I dont think so?
Everything looks normal on my comp. Can you see it now?

Today I will be installing the head unit into my car...
Ill post pics after...

durrk
04-30-06, 11:55 AM
I agree,dont go to big with the wheels, it's a classy looking car,go mild with the wheels. anyway to remove front speakers there are 8 screws, one on each end of dashboard on the ends( open doors to see them) two in each of the defroster vents,there is a long one on underside of dashboard above the
speedometer (look up) by steering column, and then the fun one, best to remove glove box, not hard, another one in there. good luck.

I have to remove the glovebox to get to the last screw?

creeker
04-30-06, 04:18 PM
Yeh,I suggested originaly to remove glove box, is it all done?, did you hit any snags?, how many beers did it take?.

GenoTheLowrider
04-30-06, 11:26 PM
I do that too.... Mine runs better on 89.

Same with me, I put 93 in mine though. With 89 it will 'diesel' sometimes when I turn it off.....

durrk johnson
05-26-06, 07:40 PM
Yeh,I suggested originaly to remove glove box, is it all done?, did you hit any snags?, how many beers did it take?.

Damn, i know this response is really late but heres a pic of the deck installed.... It looks better at night so I will post a better pic later... Installation was smooth because I had some help from a brother and it looks good too....

I got the front dash off and removed the factory 4x6"s only to find out that the magnets on my new 4x6"s are too big to fit in the factory space.

That kinda sucked because I really wanted the Polk MOMOs in the front and had to sell them... I checked crutchfield and the only 4x6"s that will fit are some cheaper kenwoods so I just ordered a pair of those... Hopefully they sound decent... More pics too come..

(I got a new computer a couple weeks ago and lost my password for my account, and i sent a couple emails with no response so I just registered again... I was locked out of my account for a few weeks.)

Benzilla
05-26-06, 09:53 PM
Looks sweet, I did the same thing in my '83 Coupe Deville, same install kit and everything, easier that I thought it would be. How did you cut it out?

durrk johnson
05-26-06, 11:21 PM
hey thanks benzilla,
I used a dremel to cut it out and it worked quite well...
It smelled horrible though because it was basically melting the plastic while it was cutting it....

heres a few more pics of the deck at night, couldnt quite capture the displays on camera but it looks nice....