: Catera V.S. Eldorado!!Can't decide??Need Help??

caddythuglv
01-22-04, 01:11 AM
Hi,

Whats up? As soon as my settlement comes in I will be in the market for my first car,I'm 18!There is only one problem I can't decide between a Caddy Catera or a 1992+ Eldorado.I like the way both of them look and the are both in my price range.I have a couple of questions for you caddy owners that will maybe help me decide on which one to get they are:

1.Which one is more reliable?
2.Which one is funner to drive?
3.Which one has more aftermarket parts available for it?
4.Which one is easier to do burnouts in?
Last question 5.Since I'm a 18 year old male which one would be cheaper in insurance?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Danny

brougham
01-22-04, 10:40 AM
Between the 2 the Eldorado is the one that goes with everything on your list. The Catera is the base model Cadillac. You'd probably like the Eldorado better but I'm guessing it's also the one that costs more for insurance.

Leloz
01-22-04, 11:54 AM
Those two cars are from two different worlds. The Catera is not even a true Cadillac. It is really an Opel, designed in Germany. The Catera will be the better handling car, but its V6 engine is underpowered. However, there is more of an aftermarket modification scene with the Catera than the Eldo. As far as insurance goes, the Eldo will be more expensive due to thte 8 cylinder engine and 2 door body. However, the 4.9 and Northstar are more reliable than the Catera 6 cylinder. Drive both, see what you can afford, and go from there. Cateras are much much cheaper than same year Eldos.. that should tell you something.
HTH,
Lelo

Andrew
01-22-04, 12:38 PM
Go for the Eldorado.

The Catera is basically an Opel Vectra, from europe. Good car, but not as well built as the Eldorado. The V6 in the Catera is not the greatest. Eldorado has the V8- which has bags more power and torque. If you can go for the Northstar.

Catera is probably better on Gas, and cheaper on insurance (4-door).

I have a 1991 Eldorado, whcih will devour most rice rockets in a straight line, and handles nice.

gothicaleigh
01-22-04, 07:14 PM
I would have to agree with the others and suggest the Eldorado. The last model of Eldorado is a beautiful car, while the Catera always reminds me of a well finished Corsica for some reason(if it didn't have a wreath and crest on it, you would never be able to tell it's a Cadillac. None of the division's styling cues are apparent and the most attractive thing about Cadillac, personally, is the styling).

Vesicant
01-22-04, 08:02 PM
Ok, well heres some REAL answers from a REAL Catera owner :elvis1: ... The Catera is as you heard an Opel... (correction) Omega, its basically the first version of the CTS thats out now. Depending on what model year you get they can either be really bad at reliabillity or fairly good (97-98 are bad). The V6 in this car is a 3.0 litre 200hp and its rear wheel drive. 0-60 time: 8.3 seconds but it feels very much so faster, and has a great exhaust note. Contrary, from what people are saying here; there isnt much aftermarket support compared to the ElDorado (thats located in america anyways). All Cateras come with 4 channel Bosch vers 5.3 ASR Traction control and ABS also for safety 99 models on up have side airbags and both driver n' passenger bags. Sport mode, winter and normal driving mode for the transmission. Almost all come with leather, and I have yet to see one that hasnt. HID headlights are an option on the sport model too, along with heated seats, rear auto-window shade and Bose stereo system are options on both models; dual climate control remains standard. The Sport model of these cars have uncomfortable seats for long hauls, but the non-sport model have fairly comfortable seats (for a german car). The car handles great, .77g for the non sport model and .82g for the sport. They ride very well and feel very solid on the road; both models come with auto leveling shock absorbers in the rear and auto-sensing steering. If you want to see more, check out the Catera section. I and many others do not reccomend getting a 97-98 model unless they have already been fully gone through and have their recalls fixed.

Now the ElDorado... im not to comment on much since ive never owned one; they seem like they have good reliabillty, strong power (if you have the Northstar V8) and some nice looks. Other than that the only major downside I can think of for this car is that its front wheel drive, and isnt as advanced.

Hope this helped ! I love my 2000 Catera; its been great. :yup:

caddythuglv
01-22-04, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the replies people they were very helpful.You guys are right though,I should test drive both models for my self to see which one I feel more comfortable in.I am kinda leaning towards the Catera though,simply for the fact that it would be cheaper in insurance and I kinda like the looks better than the Eldorado.Any more info will be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Danny

Ralph
01-23-04, 12:00 AM
I am guessing it may become difficult to find parts for a Catera in the future. Why take a chance with a Catera, get the Eldo, they are much more classy IMO! C'mon, ya know ya want a V8.

Playdrv4me
01-23-04, 03:36 AM
I am guessing it may become difficult to find parts for a Catera in the future. Why take a chance with a Catera, get the Eldo, they are much more classy IMO! C'mon, ya know ya want a V8.

Yes,Eldorado.

TimsToy
01-23-04, 08:01 AM
:elvis1: Eldorado... why don't you come to your senses, you been out ridding fences for so long now.... :histeric: I crack myself up!

caddythuglv
01-24-04, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys again for your replies!Through much research I've have been doing over the internet In the last couple of days I have come to a conclusion that I will be getting a 1992+ Caddy Eldorado:D !I came to this conclusion because I discovered to much bad things about the Catera and plus I really wanted a V-8.Catera people don't get my wrong I still think they are very cool cars,but I feel the Eldorado will be the better car for me.So with that being said does anybody have any Eldorado videos of their cars doing burn outs,racing,or just plain cruising?

Thanks,
Danny

ShadowLvr400
01-25-04, 02:39 AM
In my VCR is a video of me Autocrossing in my Eldo. *cackle* I gotta get a buddy with the hardware to copy that to a comp. The annoyance is my digital cam, holds 42 seconds. The runs are 46 seconds.

Caddy Man
01-27-04, 12:52 PM
elderado hands down for me!!! i cannot begin to compare a catera with the elderado...no offense to catera owners. ;)

JJhomer83
01-27-04, 01:31 PM
Ok well here i go with my 2 cents.
I am young (21) and i own an eldo 92 with the 4.9L
if you get the 4.9 your insurance is a LOT CHEAPER than the north* is. I have driven the catera and i personally don't care for it that much. I like the style and size of the eldo and you KNOW its a caddy. Just make sure you be careful of the mileage you get.
good luck with your find.
also call you insurance company to get quotes

RLLOVETT
01-30-04, 12:59 PM
I'll put it this way: I'm an old, good driver but when I traded my '85 Grand Marquis for the 94 Eldo, my ins. just about doubled! if I was 18, I'd shop for a 92-3 Eldo with the 4.9. You'll get enough power plus the same style with probably lower ins. rates...

Chuck C
01-30-04, 01:32 PM
Ah the Eldorado...excellent choice!! At 18, you'll want all the people room you can get, and the Eldo is a boat. Try to find the touring version (ETC) for quicker acceleration thanks to more hp and closer gear ratios over the base NorthStar. And hey, who are we kiddin...put the car in your parents' name!

Dubya
01-30-04, 02:22 PM
ok, eldorado's are DAMN SEXY. especially in pearl white or red w/tint. saw one dropped about a inch, slight tint, and it was badass.

if you want to go with the northstar, which i personally would, go for a 95. they updated the body and its a much cleaner (sexy :D) look. 96 got a new interior (dash/center console, but its a big improvement)

catera's can be nice too, one thing that bothers me everytime i see them is it looks like the exhaust is comming out of the middle of the car, don't know why, but it really really bothers me.

Yaemish
02-02-04, 04:16 PM
I owned the Catera and now have the Eldo. Totally different worlds. The Catera is flat out piss poor in the snow even with snow tires. If you live somewhere that has hard winters, stay away from the Catera. As for performance, the Catera seemed pretty zippy, not nearly as much as the Eldo, but was quick none the less. It ran on 87 octane which was nice. One other thing it liked to do was break and need repairs. It was very good at that. Other than that it handeled really well and was a nice car, the supension wasn't as soft as I like though. If I had the choise though, I would go with the Eldo hands down. Oh, gas milage on the Catera was the same as the Northstars was on the highway but around town it did much better.

catbert
02-08-04, 07:01 PM
...And the Catera is officially an orphan. Parts will be a problem if you plan on keeping it. Even if you don't, you can't go to Autozone and get whatever you need. The good news is that it's a prety nifty car, and usually a bargain.

Yaemish
02-08-04, 08:06 PM
it would be a great car for the price, but if you compare it to a N*, its no contest. Did I mention it sucks in the snow? Oh and if you are looking for something to do burn outs go buy a camaro or mustang.

cadillacchromer
02-11-04, 09:55 AM
Eldorado on vogues kills it everytime