: What's the difference??

Diggerdude
04-28-06, 11:59 AM
Between a 1988 Fleetwood and a 1988 Brougham? When I go to Autozone sometimes I get parts for a Fleetwood, sometimes a Brougham and sometimes a Fleetwood Brougham. It's confusing, is it just a trim package difference or are these actually different cars?

N0DIH
04-28-06, 03:29 PM
Technically?

In 1988, the Fleetwood was a front wheel drive car (if it existed at all).

In 1986, Cad dropped the Fleetwood Brougham name and went to Brougham. In 1993 it was ressurected on the RWD platform for a few dismal years being a wrong wheel drive car that was nothing more than a glorified Deville. Although they did have some cool options. Like Sandy's 60 Special back with white interior.

So the Fleetwood in 1993 (FWD) got renamed solely to the Sixty Special.

Sandy can give you the ultimate details on this. Check his thread here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/21573-still-receiving-pms-e-mails-asking.html

It almost seems if Cadillac wanted the Fleetwood name to stay with a Cadillac powerplant for a while. But they abandoned that idea in 1993. Just a thought.

brougham
04-28-06, 07:20 PM
A 1988 Fleetwood is a completely different car then a Brougham is.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-28-06, 08:03 PM
Yeah the whole thing is confusing. Even though they were technically Broughams after 1986, everyone kept calling them Fleetwoods. Just say rear wheel drive when ordering parts, that's what I do to cut out any possible FWD, RWD confusion.

FRANKO
04-28-06, 09:08 PM
Fleetwood Brougham means RWD thru 1996...to me. FWD is Fleetwood. Confusing? YES!

FRANKO

DopeStar 156
04-29-06, 02:26 AM
I call it a "Fleetwood Brougham" or a "Fleetwood" even though the word Fleetwood appears nowhere on my car. My inspection sticker, registration card, and insurance card all refer to the car as a "Fleetwood Brougham." I personally like the Fleetwood name so I include it when I talk. When I get parts I say "1989 Fleetwood Brougham, the rear drive version." It's the same thing as when I had my Mark VII I called it a "Continental" because that's what it was. Cadillac may have thrown the name on a DeVille but to me, this car is still a Fleetwood.

Bro-Ham
04-29-06, 11:34 AM
Hi all,

Just to clarify, 1987 was the first year of the Brougham. In 1986 the car was still the Fleetwood Brougham and it was the first year of the 5.0 V8.

If gas prices had gone as high as some expected in the early 1980's, the large rear drive GM cars would not have made it past the 1983 model year and the Fleetwood Brougham name would have been put on the smaller 1985 front drive Fleetwood.

In 1988 there was the Fleetwood d'Elegance and Fleetwood Sixty Special, both front wheel drive models. Then there was the Brougham which was the large rear drive model that kept getting carried over and refused to die.

In 1993 the Fleetwood name returned to the large rear drive model and the Fleetwood Brougham was the top of the line model.

Have fun!

Dave

brougham
04-29-06, 11:44 AM
There's no such thing as a Fleetwood Brougham for a lot of those years. It's just Brougham. But people don't know what they own and that's why it's so confusing :bonkers:

Diggerdude
05-02-06, 09:42 AM
Thanks a bunch guys, I was getting corn-fused with it all. Title says Brougham, insurance says Brougham but most aftermarket stuff says Fleetwood or Fleetwood Brougham.

I come from the old world of Cadillac's, where a Fleetwood was a Fleetwood. These newer ones names get me. I've had a '55 Caddy, a '63 Ambulance, a '67 Hearse and an '83 Coupe Deville but this is the newest one I've owned since the '83 Coupe. So, I'm feeling like I'm all new in the Caddy world again.

davesdeville
05-03-06, 06:48 AM
I think Cadillac making the change in the first place is what caused the confusion...