: Can someone please recommend a good all season tire?

Poopie D
04-28-06, 10:51 AM
Just wondering what you guys recommend for the cts-v I am buying? I need more than just a summer tire as we sometimes see a little bit of snow where I live. If it snows hard, I take my truck to work but sometimes I will get caught at work and have to drive home through some slick streets.

Thanks

diverdan
04-28-06, 10:58 AM
There are several good all season tires available. If you are buying a new CTS-V, I believe it comes with Goodyear RSAs, which are all season. Your options go up if you ditch the runflats and go conventional.
The Toyo T1-Rs might work, even though they aren't strickly all season, I had T1-Ss on my Z06 and the deep tread worked well in the wet, while still providing good handling.

Poopie D
04-28-06, 11:01 AM
I should also add that they need to be a tire the a GM dealership can sell, as they are giving me a shop credit for $500 bucks for buying the car....they said that RSA's are $1300 a set...I have heard some bad things about them though....

diverdan
04-28-06, 11:12 AM
My advice would be to get non runflats and use the shop credit to buy the jacking kit (or try to find one on eBay). Your options for tires go way up and the costs can be much more reasonable. You can get a full size spare from Tirerack or eBay for not much money (There are some threads on this). My dealership took it on themselves to replace my tires with non runflats before I bought it (without asking me). I made them provide me the jacking kit and a full size spare as a part of the deal. I was happy: I had intended to put regular tires on the car all along, but never expected the dealership to foot the entire bill.

The funny part was I told them I would take any full sized wheel and even suggested they get one from Tirerack.com. Somehow they couldn't do this and ended up giving me a brand new factory wheel to use as my spare ($700+):cookoo:

The big advantages to regular tires include better wear, less wheel hop, better traction (brand dependant), easier tire replacement and availability.

rand49er
04-28-06, 01:23 PM
My advice would be to get non runflats and use the shop credit to buy the jacking kit (or try to find one on eBay). Your options for tires go way up and the costs can be much more reasonable. You can get a full size spare from Tirerack or eBay for not much money (There are some threads on this). My dealership took it on themselves to replace my tires with non runflats before I bought it (without asking me). I made them provide me the jacking kit and a full size spare as a part of the deal. I was happy: I had intended to put regular tires on the car all along, but never expected the dealership to foot the entire bill.

The funny part was I told them I would take any full sized wheel and even suggested they get one from Tirerack.com. Somehow they couldn't do this and ended up giving me a brand new factory wheel to use as my spare ($700+):cookoo:

The big advantages to regular tires include better wear, less wheel hop, better traction (brand dependant), easier tire replacement and availability................Yeah that.

I did AvonTech 550 all seasons from Tirerack with four Mille Miglias also from them. They go on Dec 1st and off April 1st. Right now, I'm running GS-D3s for the next seven months. Like diverdan says, you can get the spare tire tub/jack/handle from GMPartsDirect for about $88 and get one Mille Miglia wheel and one tire for a spare. See dreamin's thread from last August, great exploded view with part nos. Anyway, that's my $0.02 US ($0.03 Cdn).

V-Smooth
04-28-06, 01:54 PM
Forget the runfalts and jack/spare idea. Get some BFG KDW g-forces, sign up with AAA...yearly membership is around $80. You get a flat you make a call to AAA roadside service, they fix it. Who needs a spare.......

CIWS
04-28-06, 04:28 PM
I should also add that they need to be a tire the a GM dealership can sell, as they are giving me a shop credit for $500 bucks for buying the car....they said that RSA's are $1300 a set...I have heard some bad things about them though....

Shouldn't you probably ask them what all season tires they can sell you before possibly looking around at several brands only to find out they won't install them ?

What bad things have you heard about the RSAs ? Several people run them including myself ? (although I generally don't have snow to worry about)

Jschmank
04-28-06, 08:55 PM
I have the RSA run flats on my 05 and so far am very happy with them. Clearly not as sticky as the F1's, but much less wheel hop, great when wet, light snow, so I think they are a great alternative. See if they will price match tirerack.com; most places will, but maybe not if they are giving you a credit of some sort.

Dick's06Vee
04-29-06, 07:16 AM
Hey Poopie: My 06 came stock with the RSA runflats. Ran them on snow, ice and rain during the winter. I couldn't be happier with them!