: Perhaps a Fuel Filter problem?

austin
04-27-06, 10:47 PM
When i give a slight tap on the throttle, i get a slight (milisecond) pause, then the tach jumps right up, then it floats back down slowly to idle.

Is this fuel filter related, or do i have another issue going on? I have no check engine light. Vacume lines are good. As recomended..... I disconnected the TPS, turned on the key for 10-seconds, turned off the key, then i connected the TPS, started the car and drove about 10-miles, still no change, but i thought it was worth a shot. Overall, it drives fine, idles fine, has no engine knock, but is acting funny when i press on the gas at idle, like it is bogging down for a extremely brief second, then jumps right up, and then floats slowly down to idle. Any thoughts? Car has 13,700 miles on it.

NH Vrod
04-28-06, 07:27 AM
If it was your fuel filter it would cut out under power, so that is not the problem.
Check your air flow sensor?

austin
04-28-06, 09:33 AM
>Check your air flow sensor?

You think the Mass Air Flow Sensor can could be the cause of this. What do i look for when checking it, if it has not thrown a code.

pmsteinm
04-28-06, 10:10 AM
That sounds like my car. I just figured this is the electronic throttle doing things the GM thinks it should. I've noticed if I am not touching the thottle and then I blip it, there's some hesitation. If my foot is already on the the throttle (say holding the engine at 1000rpm) and I blip it, there is no hesitation.

I've head the slow float back to idle is so we don't kill any trees.

I'm pretty sure a StealthV tune will remove this behavior.

NH Vrod
04-28-06, 10:12 AM
I had a problem with my truck where the oil from my filter got on the air flow sensor and caused almost the same issue, it was a hesitation when I hit the gas but ran fine, never got a light or code, dealer found it for me, just a very small film of oil caused it. Not sure if this is you problem?

keeksv
04-28-06, 10:31 AM
>Check your air flow sensor?

You think the Mass Air Flow Sensor can could be the cause of this. What do i look for when checking it, if it has not thrown a code.

One thing you can do is pull the MAF sensor out (carefully) and clean it (carefully) with electrical contact cleaner. After it dries, stick it back in and if it still does what you describe, start checking around for air leaks in the intake system or vacuum leaks (loose clamps, hoses) around the engine compartment.

austin
04-28-06, 01:12 PM
Ok, thanks, i will take the MAS out, if it is dirty, will this stuff clean it?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102649&cp=&origkw=cleaner&kw=cleaner&parentPage=search

NH Vrod
04-28-06, 01:23 PM
That should do the trick. Be very very careful when handeling this sensor, make sure you do not rub the surfaces at all when taking it out and in!!!!

keeksv
04-28-06, 04:13 PM
Ok, thanks, i will take the MAS out, if it is dirty, will this stuff clean it?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102649&cp=&origkw=cleaner&kw=cleaner&parentPage=search
I get mine at Poop Boys. Just ask one of the geeks there for electrical contact cleaner. And yes, be gentle with the MAF. Do you have a K and N or other filter with oil in it?

ewill3rd
04-28-06, 06:43 PM
It's normal.
The throttle is controlled by a computer, not a cable.
The computer controls the engine in a calculated way to control many factors. Some TAC (Throttle Actuated Control) cars are worse than others.
My Trailblazer throttle is much worse than a V for example, but you get used to it after a while.

austin
04-28-06, 08:33 PM
Well, the MAS was in like new condition, i sprayed it reguardless and it didn't help.... I'm at the point now where my next steps are going to be inspecting the sparkplugs, and then pull the negative cable for a 30-minutes, and follow reset procedures..... Reguardless, i ordered a fuel filter, as it was not in stock.... How often should this be changed? I have a K&N air filter. I didn't oil it, it came as is out of the box, i did grease the seal with the supplie grease though.