: Considerung to Buy STS in Europe

Ron1818
04-27-06, 03:16 PM
I am from Vienna, Austria, currently driving a Mercedes C 320 and am seriously considering to buy an STS, most probably a 3,6. However, I am really afraid of potential problems as the dealer network in Austria is really weak. I am especially troubled about the thread with the battery issues. I often away for two or three weeks on business trips and don't want to handle such problems. Unfortunately the demo showed to me at the dealer ship did not start due to a battery failure....
Did any of you leave the car for several weeks without battery problems afterwards?
Otherwise it is a really great car, somehow smoother and much more relaxed to drive then the Mercedes.
Thank you for your replys,
Ron

BenC
04-27-06, 10:47 PM
Remember that the posts you see here concerning failures reflect the few people whose cars have had problems. Delco batteries have had certain problems, such as developing leaks at the connecting post, for years, and yet they are one of the better brands of battery, I believe. Some battery drain problems are the result of battery defects, while others result from the much larger number of electronic components and electrical systems in the car, leading to a greater chance of a drain on the battery when something fails to shut off as it should. My guess is that similar things happen in most newer-generation, higher-end cars like Mercedes, etc. Most owners don't experience those problems, but there will always be a certain percentage who do.

soupero
04-28-06, 10:07 AM
So far we haven't had any problems with our 3.6 (we have around 20 000km).
Also my dad hasn't drove the car for a week (no several weeks, sorry) cause of a business trip and the car was just fine ,no starting issues whatsoever!

Ron1818
04-28-06, 02:54 PM
So far we haven't had any problems with our 3.6 (we have around 20 000km).
Also my dad hasn't drove the car for a week (no several weeks, sorry) cause of a business trip and the car was just fine ,no starting issues whatsoever!

Which car did you drive before the STS? What is your average fuel consumption. Is the engine strong enough for fast highway driving? Do you see some disadvantages with this car from your point of view. Thank you for your answers. Ron

soupero
04-29-06, 02:14 PM
-Before we had a 2.3t(small turbo) saab 9-5
-If you drive mostly highways, you can get easily 9l/100km, average use of the car is around 11-13l/100km
-the car has enough power for sure, has no problems doing 230km/h
-So far no disadvantages!

Ron1818
05-01-06, 05:45 AM
Thank you for all the feedback!
I have one more question: how do I recognize if the car is a 2005 model year
or 2006 model. My dealer has several on stock and I just wondered if there is a possibility to figure it out.
Thank you, Ron

Cajonkev
05-01-06, 12:21 PM
It should be clearly stated by your dealer, especially since it impacts the pricing and is on any/all of their written documentation.

You can also look on the door decal (drivers side) for the Mfg. date.

chiefmjk
05-01-06, 04:35 PM
The 2006 has an electric tail gate which opens and closes with the key flob.

CTS V6
05-02-06, 09:34 PM
The 10th item on the Vehicle Identification Number will also indicate the model year. In the US, 06's have a little GM badge on the side, don't know if that is true in Europe.

ascariSTS
05-07-06, 12:28 AM
The 10th item on the Vehicle Identification Number will also indicate the model year. In the US, 06's have a little GM badge on the side, don't know if that is true in Europe.

That's right... Mine is a Euro STS... It has that GM Badge...