: Engine Temperatures

amosheath
04-27-06, 03:00 PM
I have a 1996 DeVille with 91000 miles. The radiator tank burst about 10 months ago. The engine got hot, 250 or so but never shut down. New radiator and thermostat. All was fine. Running temps ran from 194 to 208 or so. I continued to add fluid every few weeks but couldn’t see where it was going. Finally started leaking bad enough to see it drip. Had the water pump replaced. $540 for pump and labor. 2 days later the eng hot light illuminated and got to the point of the a/c shutting down. Had it towed. Same mechanic that replaced the pump said it was the thermostat. He replaced it with a “fail safe” thermostat. The engine now runs anywhere from 203 to 215 degrees at 50-60 mph. Questions:
1. What is the correct running temp for this engine?
2. Does that seem a little high for a pump replacement? He didn’t charge for the thermostat. Said he should have changed it with the pump.
3. Anybody familiar with this type of thermostat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

johnrgregory
04-27-06, 03:06 PM
the temp you are running is fine. The fans do not kick in until 225* or when the A/C is running.

amosheath
04-27-06, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Would it be safe to assume that if the temp light doesn't illuminate all is fine?

Ranger
04-27-06, 11:04 PM
Those temps are exactly what my '97 Deville ran for the 5 years I had it.

Not sure of the going rate for changing a Northstar water pump, but I just checked http://www.rockauto.com and they have them for about $50 after shipping. It is about an hour job.

amosheath
04-29-06, 09:09 AM
Seems to be getting worse. Drove it about 45 miles at 60-70 temp stayed between 206 and 212 untill I went up a few hills and then it shot up to 245. When I stop the upper hose is soft and there is no white smoke. Seems to be sounding more and more like a head gasget. What can I expect to pay to get HG's replaced?

amosheath
04-29-06, 10:18 AM
One more thing. When the pump was replaced I had a leaking problem but not an overheating problem. Is it possible to install a water pump incorrectly and cause a heating problem?

Ranger
04-29-06, 01:15 PM
It is pretty hard to install a pump incorrectly, but check all the usuall thing, water pump belt tensioner, pressure cap, purge line, 50/50 mix, radiator flow.

amosheath
04-29-06, 01:28 PM
Just go antifreeze for a flush. Also gonna replace the cap. A 16# Stant cap was all I could find locally. Not sure how to check rad flow. The only cap is on the reservoir

amosheath
05-01-06, 04:21 PM
Had the reserve tank tested today for exhaust gas and it showed positive. Are these things reliable? 2 chamber device that you put a test liquid in and aspirate from the reservoir tank and it changes from blue if exhaust gas is found. Noticed today 2 that the mechanic refilled with a yellow coolant.

Ranger
05-01-06, 07:46 PM
Don't know much about them, but I would assume they are reliable.

johnrgregory
05-02-06, 01:40 PM
My dealer used the test to find my gasket problem. They had to drive it up hill to get it to over heat before the coolant showed the hydro carbons. Since my 99 Deville was fixed a month ago, the temp is perfect and I have lost No, NADA, zilch ounces of coolant.

amosheath
05-03-06, 07:45 AM
Did you do both heads or just 1? Do you mind me asking what is set you back? Since I've replaced every part of the cooling system except the cap I did so. No over flow and temps stayed under 217 even with it being 88 degrees outside. Watching and hoping.

johnrgregory
05-03-06, 10:21 AM
Did you do both heads or just 1? Do you mind me asking what is set you back? Since I've replaced every part of the cooling system except the cap I did so. No over flow and temps stayed under 217 even with it being 88 degrees outside. Watching and hoping.

Luckily I had purchased the extended warranty for $1210 so I just paid the $50 deductable. The invoice from the dealer was for $2700. 30 hours of labor at $80 per hour and the rest was parts.

caddydriving95
05-16-06, 09:56 PM
I have a 1999 DeVille and was in Gatlinburg,Tn. this weekend.We had a chalet in the mountains and the road was very steep and had several kiss your a** turns.I was only able to get up to 25mph but averaged 15-20 driving on what seemed to be a straight up hill.The temp rose to 233* at the highest.Is this normal while driving slowly up very steep hills at low speeds.I cruise at 70-80 mph with temps averaging 194-196*on the interstate every day.I am new to Cadillac ownership.I have only owned a N* for 3 months I am trying to settle my worrying.Thanks guys.

zonie77
05-16-06, 11:42 PM
That test is accurate.

Because of the very limited space the cradle is usually dropped to do headgaskets. If someone did it in place I think it would be a wash on time because it is so difficult to access the rear head. Plus the workmanship would be poorer.

It is easier to drop the cradle than to pull the engine out the top.