: how to keep my vinyl top healthy

supasweetride
04-27-06, 10:46 AM
Hey what should I use on my vinyl top to help keep the weather from wearing it? I have heard vasoline? and I have heard armoral? It already has 2 noticeable cracks in it, they are right next to each other but i do not want any more until i can afford to get a new top. Any suggestions?

77CDV
04-27-06, 11:50 AM
Absolutely not Vaseline, it will make the top sticky and will turn yellow as it oxidizes. Not to mention it will trap any and all contaminates in the universe and make the top look really bad. Armorall is OK, though I would look for vinyl top wax. Turtle Wax used to make it, and it was wonderful! Made the top shine almost as bright as the paint! The sooner you can recover the top, the better. Cracks in the top let in water, which sits under there and eventually leads to rot. Good luck!

Craig

90Brougham350
04-27-06, 12:18 PM
Don't use Armoral! It's full of silicates (or something like that, someone will correct me) that will dry out and make brittle the vinyl even more! A product like Meguiar's rubber and vinyl protectant is a good product.

Brian

Timothy60
04-27-06, 01:08 PM
The new Armor-All gel works especially good on vinyl tops. The vinyl top on my 93 Fleetwood looks like it was just applied at the factory. I use it on my dashboard, too.

KaddyKat
04-27-06, 02:35 PM
The best stuff to use is RaggTopp

http://www.wolfsteins.com/main.htm
there may be similar substitutes that work, but you won't be disappointed in this product. You need to fix(seal) the cracks if possible.

N0DIH
04-27-06, 02:50 PM
Be gentle on them, I scrubbed a mold spot off my cutlass when it sat for a while and it did serious damage to it. Always be gentle.

Anyone know what to do about the sewn seams on the 93-96 cars? Might be others too, but my seams (the ones that are sewn) are coming apart. Are they really sewn or cosmetic?

77CDV
04-27-06, 09:01 PM
Be gentle on them, I scrubbed a mold spot off my cutlass when it sat for a while and it did serious damage to it. Always be gentle.

Anyone know what to do about the sewn seams on the 93-96 cars? Might be others too, but my seams (the ones that are sewn) are coming apart. Are they really sewn or cosmetic?

You're talking about the seams that are tucked and not the ornamental stitching alongside them, I think. In that case, yes, they really are stitched, but, everything is held down with glue, so you're in no danger of the top flying off without warning.

Craig

vanaisa
04-28-06, 08:15 AM
NODIH, those seams are stiched, but yes, they hold tight with glue inside, so no problems with them.
And best product on vinyl top is IMO baby oil. But use odorless oil ;)

HotRodSaint
04-28-06, 09:11 AM
I've heard that Mop-N-Glow also works good. But I've never tried it.

GenoTheLowrider
04-30-06, 11:52 PM
I say use that Son of Gun, thats what I use on my top, it works well. It has a sunscreen and a BRILLIANT shine!

85_fleetwood
05-01-06, 12:43 AM

My Cad has some of those mold spots on the vinyl top?

Any suggestions?

90Brougham350
05-01-06, 10:30 AM
A WEEK solution of bleach and some gentle scrubbing should get just about anything short of a permanent stain out.

FrankieSixxxgun
05-02-06, 11:12 AM
I bleach my top first, to get all the mold and mildew out of the cracks, and then, believe it or not, I take it through the local carwash and get the, "Deluxe." Whatever that conditioner is that they spray on the car is keeps my top soft as a baby's ass.