: Rear Suspension Question

DopeStar 156
04-27-06, 10:20 AM
As some of you may know from pictures my Fleetwood has some sagging issues. I decided to call my shop and get a quote on replacing the coils in the back but I figured since the car is 17 years old I'm sure the air shocks back there are in less than perfect shape so i decided to get a quote on replacing everything back there. I wanted them to replace the coil springs and the air shocks too. They came back at me saying Cadillac no longer makes them and i would have to swap out the suspension with a hydraullic system? I'm not sure I believe this. I just want to replace the air bags and the coil springs, how can they be discontinued? What do you guys suggest I do here? I really don't want an aftermarket levelling system back there. I prefer the original air compressed level ride......

77CDV
04-27-06, 01:01 PM
My suggestion is to get another suspension shop. This one's blowing sunshine up your skirt. Coil springs are freely available, as are aftermarket air shocks the hook up to the stock levelling system. There have been several discussions about this on the forum. You might do a topic search to get the specifics. Keep that car beautiful!:thumbsup:

Craig

N0DIH
04-27-06, 03:54 PM
There is a ton of springs out there that you can use. I am NOT a fan of cargo/variable rate springs, but that is my personal preference. I don't like a spring that is not a specific rate. Unpredictable handling in my book. But I drive mine a little harder in corners than the average joe.

As for shocks, get some std ones and put in air bags in the springs (then you can run Bilsteins), or get some AC Delco replacement ones. I have them on mine, they are getting a little worn, but still a good shock. I have put nearly 50K on my shocks, and they were on the car when I got it, and they still do a decent job at lifting and dampening. And they are stock types. So no air bags in the springs, no replacement springs. Just not the cheapest.

Yup, find a new shop.

Benzilla
04-27-06, 08:31 PM
What would be funny is if you got some air bags that they put on low riders lol, then you could bounce at stop lights!!!.... only kidding, that would be wrong.

DopeStar 156
04-27-06, 09:01 PM
I was told the coils AND the air shocks are discontinued from Cadillac. AC Delco makes a coil spring though and an aftermarket level shock that's universal so I hope it hooks up to the original system. I think it's perfect the way it came from the factory and I want the original set up.

N0DIH
04-27-06, 09:02 PM
Likely, go to http://www.gmobsolete.com/ and nose around, you might find what you need.

1990CaddyBrougham
04-27-06, 11:22 PM
What would you guys consider sagging? My 90 the rear wheel only shows about 3/4 in the back.... My parts car 92 Was ****ing JACKED!

DopeStar 156
04-28-06, 05:18 AM
What would you guys consider sagging? My 90 the rear wheel only shows about 3/4 in the back.... My parts car 92 Was ****ing JACKED!
My rear wheels the chrome trim around the skirt touched the edge of the hubcap, it used to touch the edge of the white wall. In most pictures I see of this car, it's supposed to be at the white wall. Here's where it sits now......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/caddysunset2.jpg

N0DIH
04-28-06, 09:27 AM
Look in the FSM for ride hieght measurments. It is measurable.

I would say yes, it is sagging a bit. Fix? Readjust the level ride slightly to boost it up a touch and leave it alone if the shocks themselves are not blown. Blown shocks (not just the air bladder) will cause a lot more load needed on the air system.

The air system can handle a bit more air pressure, it is designed to handle heavy loads like a carload of junkies in the back seat and their luggage....

DopeStar 156
04-28-06, 11:51 AM
I'm at work right now and there's an 87 in the parking lot, I'll run outside and see where that one is set....

GenoTheLowrider
05-01-06, 12:39 AM
I was having the same problem with my 89, I replaced the rear shocks with Cargo springs, and I really found that my car was sagging greatly. I got the springs from Advance Auto Parts for $88.
Check out the difference.....

N0DIH
05-01-06, 09:23 AM
Just cut a coil off the front and lower it, then it will be perfectly level again....

Often people replace springs when the shocks are the real culprit. Remember, these cars were designed around gas shocks, so when the gas pressure dies off, the car sits lower. Replace the shocks and see if the ride doesn't come back to stock.

My 91 struts were weak, and it started to sag a little, so I just tweaked the level ride a touch and it was perfect ride height after that. New struts would have also brough up the rear around the same amount. My 76 Delta 88 was sagging and I replaced the shocks (my friends dad told me to, as I was looking to the springs) and it came up 2-3 inches over it.

Yes, everyone wants to argue shocks shouldn't be supporting the car and controlling ride height. I agree, back when we had cars that didn't have gas shocks std. But the fact of life is they do now, and have had for a while, and they will continue to, and if your car is already proper height, and you add gas shocks, it WILL ride higher. Then it is out of spec, you have to keep it all in spec. Now, you can find a set of NON gas, but it is hard as heck.

Springs do sag with age, but if you look at your front end, it is riding higher than it should, the weak rear will stretch the front up some too. Look at most front wheel drive cars, they are bad for it. Especially if they are driven hard. I took a FULL coil off the front of my 91 Bonneville just to get it back down to the proper ride height. All over weak rear struts.

My rear wheels the chrome trim around the skirt touched the edge of the hubcap, it used to touch the edge of the white wall. In most pictures I see of this car, it's supposed to be at the white wall. Here's where it sits now......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/caddysunset2.jpg

FRANKO
05-01-06, 10:26 AM
I got my air shocks at AutoZone...and a mounting kit. Still rode low. Next came CargoCoils...raised it up 2"...at least! Love'em.

FRANKO

90Brougham350
05-01-06, 11:27 AM
Yeah, my chrome pieces on the wheel well were well into the white-wall on the tire, but when I had had the shocks done, I had heavy-duty towing springs installed, and the chrome on the wheel well is now about 1.5 or 2 inches above the white wall.