: Can a 1999 4.6L Northstar "Y" be replaced/exchanged with a "9" of the same year

Lonezuk
04-27-06, 08:33 AM
Can a 1999 4.6L Northstar VIN Y (LD8) be replaced/exchanged with a or VIN 9 (L37) engine.

New thread/title as not to hijack another.

The only differences that I read about in other threads on the group between the two engines are the intake can shafts.

Do other differences exist that would prevent a swap ?

Can a long block from a "9" be used as a replacement for a "Y" then of the intake cams are exchanged between the engines ?

1999 Northstar VIN Y (LD8) are less common then VIN 9 (L37) in Colorado.

Mike7075
04-27-06, 03:31 PM
I have been researching this information also, but for a 96 year. It seems that the heads and lower ends of the 95-97 engines are all the same, but with different intake cams, torque converters, PCMs, and transmission gearing...it seems the PCM also has a modified power steering/suspension setup for the '9' engine option.
I remember coming across a post stating that not only the intake cams, but also the exhaust cams were different on later model Northstars...I am not sure what year this change was made...could be 98, 99, or 00 (if anyone knows for sure, please chime in). What I did in my research was go to www.GMPartsDirect.com , look up GM part numbers for the Y and the 9 engine (in this case camshafts), and then compare to see if they are the same number. Whether or not it is both cams or not, I am pretty sure the long blocks should interchange if the same year. Hope this helps and good luck.

Lonezuk
04-27-06, 04:03 PM
From an EBAY Sale

--------------------------------------

Direct Interchange (exact factory fit):
2000 Seville, Eldorado, Deville, Concours (vin 9) High output engine (this engine would also fit the standard output vehicles just has different cams). GM option code: L37. It is a Hollander engine #: 300-6246B, (300-06246B). interchange is not guaranteed. This does not show to fit any other year vehicle from the factory. Contact your dealer to see if it will fit other years.
Possible Interchange (Projects):

This engine may fit 95 to 97 Deville, Seville, Eldorado by swaping out various components, and also 98-99 Eldorado and Deville, or later (01-04) Cadillac vehicles. Check with your dealer for proper fit. Interchange is not guaranteed. Keywords (possible projects): Take-out, Corvette, Chevelle, Chevy II,. Malibu, Corvette, ZR1, ZR-1, Z-28, LT1, LT4, Camaro, 32' Ford, Street rod, StreetRod, Firebird, Trans-Am, Pontiac GTO, Tempest, Chevy Truck, SS, Olds, Hurst, F85, Cutlass, El Camino, Sprint, GMC, Silverado, Impala, Caprice, 55' Chevy, 57' Chevy, Bel Aire, Bel Air, Chevrolet Camaro Z28, & SS, Pontiac Trans Am and Firebird.

Lonezuk
04-27-06, 04:13 PM
Also found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Premium_V_engine

Also this on the eldorado

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad99e.htm

If this is correct the eldorado could have had either engine like a seville depending on the model.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad99.htm

zonie77
04-27-06, 06:03 PM
The cams and the PCM are different. Also the 9 comes with a different transaxle that has different gearing. If you replace both and the PCM there should be no problem.

If you only replace the engine you will have very poor bottom end power.

Lonezuk
04-27-06, 10:21 PM
Just received the first 10 alpha/numerics of the VIN, 1G6EL12Y9X

If the web site is correct, the Eldorado has a 'Y' not a 300hp '9' ETC model.

The plan was to use the long block, everything else from my engine including the transmission.

Since its out of the vehicle, a leak down test will be performed.

It will be necessary to connect the water lines and hold them open end up above the engine filled with water. If leaks into the coolant system it will bubble into the lines filled with water.

Zorb750
04-27-06, 11:20 PM
From an EBAY Sale

--------------------------------------

Direct Interchange (exact factory fit):
2000 Seville, Eldorado, Deville, Concours (vin 9) High output engine (this engine would also fit the standard output vehicles just has different cams). GM option code: L37. It is a Hollander engine #: 300-6246B, (300-06246B). interchange is not guaranteed. This does not show to fit any other year vehicle from the factory. Contact your dealer to see if it will fit other years.
Possible Interchange (Projects):

This engine may fit 95 to 97 Deville, Seville, Eldorado by swaping out various components, and also 98-99 Eldorado and Deville, or later (01-04) Cadillac vehicles. Check with your dealer for proper fit. Interchange is not guaranteed. Keywords (possible projects): Take-out, Corvette, Chevelle, Chevy II,. Malibu, Corvette, ZR1, ZR-1, Z-28, LT1, LT4, Camaro, 32' Ford, Street rod, StreetRod, Firebird, Trans-Am, Pontiac GTO, Tempest, Chevy Truck, SS, Olds, Hurst, F85, Cutlass, El Camino, Sprint, GMC, Silverado, Impala, Caprice, 55' Chevy, 57' Chevy, Bel Aire, Bel Air, Chevrolet Camaro Z28, & SS, Pontiac Trans Am and Firebird.

What a Schmuck. Yeah. I'm going to put that engine in a ZR1 Corvette. Bullshit! Moron.

Mike7075
04-28-06, 12:33 AM
Ha! If you do, I'll take the LT5 off of your hands! :bouncy: