: check engine soon????????

little tx
01-21-04, 09:43 PM
i have a 1995 cadillac seville has 112,000 miles on her. i was driveing and the check engine soon light came on, i pulled into were i was going and turned it off. came back and started it and it didnot come back on and that was 4 days ago and hasnot came back on ever since. what was that all about? why would it come on 1 time and then not anymore? any help would be helpful. 3 months ago i just had the 100,000 mile tune up done and they said everything was good...thanks for all the info.....

Anthony Cipriano
01-22-04, 02:41 PM
There is a diagnostic code that was set by the onboard diagnostic system that turned on the light. The code is stored in the system. The onboard diagnostic system detected some sort of failure, set a code and turned on the light. Many of the diagnostic codes "reset" after that ignition cycle so by turning the key off and restarting the code was stored in "history" and the system is retesting for the problem. It may be a marginal situation with a sensor or an intermittant failure. Some of the codes take a lot of driving to test and set a code, others trip a code relatively easy.

We'll know more when we know what the code is. With the key on, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel until the onboard diagnostic system activates. Just turn the key off when you're finished with the codes. Write down the codes that appear and post back for an explaination.

little tx
01-28-04, 08:14 AM
i did what you told me to do and came up with nothing, probley didnt do it right. i am a women and just dont understand all this new stuff! i am noticeing that my check engine soon light doesnot come on when i start it. it doesnt seam to ever come on at all start ups..what does this all mean? no check engine light at all now..maybe a short? all other lights come on at every start but the check engine light? thanks. what ya think?

Anthony Cipriano
01-28-04, 12:00 PM
When you turn the key to on but do not start the engine the check engine light should come on as a "bulb check". Do you see it then? If not, then the bulb is probably burnt out.

The onboard diagnostic codes are all soft ware based in the different computers on board. The logic in the software "tests" different sensors and monitors for failures. If the sensor operation is within the operating parameters outlined in the diagnostic test software then the code will not set. Some codes, once they set, are "hard" failures and come back at the next key on. Others reset at the next key on and run the test again. If the problem is intermittant the code may not set everytime the engine is started.

Try interogating the onboard diagnostics again. Sit in the car and turn on the key. Simultaneously press and HOLD the OFF and the WARMER (red) button. hold them on together until the diagnostics activates (it takes about 5 seconds) and then write down the codes that are displayed.

little tx
01-30-04, 11:32 PM
Anthony......i will be checking the diagnostics tomorrow (saturday 1-31-04) i will get back with you on the codes. i will have more time tomorrow to take my time....i was driveing it tonight and the service engine soon light came on and stayed on even at start up it was off for about 3 min. and then came on and stayed on. first time in 2 weeks it came back on. it drives just like it always has..it scares me cause i am afraid it is something bad. i will get back with you. i just put 700.00 in it 3 months ago..the 100,000 mile tune up was 500.00 and the water pump belt broke 90.00 and i had some kind of rodant chew on 3 plug wires and chewed them in half 125.00. (i live in the country) so it just makes me mad... it has 112,000 miles on it and its a 1995. i dont understand why it is doing this with 112,000 miles on it...i have had lots of vehicals and they have had 200,000 miles on them and never had a service engine light come on..ok i will get back to you...thanks for your help...

little tx
01-31-04, 01:09 PM
Anthony....got code PCM? it went through all the codes and they were ok and all i got was PCM? ok now what is this code? hopefully not bad..please let me know asap....it was really easy to do this..i took my time

little tx
01-31-04, 05:13 PM
Anthony....i done the diagnostic again and here are the two codes that were in history..P060 and S044 hopefully i got all this right.. please let me know if i got all this right.. does the codes make sence? let me know what you think.

Anthony Cipriano
01-31-04, 08:27 PM
Anthony....i done the diagnostic again and here are the two codes that were in history..P060 and S044 hopefully i got all this right.. please let me know if i got all this right.. does the codes make sence? let me know what you think.

The P060 is a cruise control code that indicates that the cruise control either kicked out due to the cruise seeing that the transmission was not in drive or that you tried to activate the cruise and the system saw that the trans was not in drive. That could be the adjustment of the transmission shift indicator switch or the PRNDL switch that is at the transmission where the shift cable attaches to it.

S044. That is a chassis computer code for the Lift/Dive signal fault.

I'm not too sure what to tell you here. I guess I would drive it and continue to monitor the codes to see if any others come up. Neither of those codes really indicates any sort of serious problem. Certainly nothing that would strand you or keep the car from running.

One of the nice things about the onboard diagnostics system is the ability of the system to diagose system trouble and then substitute other information or take remedial action to keep the car running safely without stranding you are damaging the engine/car further. Don't let the check engine light spook you. It is just an indication of some problem that the sytem is dealing with and it is letting you know. The problem may be intermittant until the failure is complete or until the code sets "hard" and the light will not go out and then it will be easier to diagnose. Pretty cool stuff...

little tx
02-01-04, 12:04 AM
Anthony....i got 2 more codes i went and done it again to make sure i got it all right so all togther i got 4 codes you told me about the other 2 thanks..heres the other 2 codes...P036...and....S061..now if i start the car the light now comes on and then it goes off thats normal and it stays off then i put it in drive and once i go over a small bump or turn it comes back on and stays on. i let it idlel for 20 min. and no light. once i started driveing it comes on? let me know what you think about all this and these other 2 codes..thank you very much for your time to help me understand all of this..i hope im not bugging you..you know what your talking about...let me know asap..please..these 4 codes had history in front of them..

Anthony Cipriano
02-01-04, 12:22 AM
Anthony....i got 2 more codes i went and done it again to make sure i got it all right so all togther i got 4 codes you told me about the other 2 thanks..heres the other 2 codes...P036...and....S061..now if i start the car the light now comes on and then it goes off thats normal and it stays off then i put it in drive and once i go over a small bump or turn it comes back on and stays on. i let it idlel for 20 min. and no light. once i started driveing it comes on? let me know what you think about all this and these other 2 codes..thank you very much for your time to help me understand all of this..i hope im not bugging you..you know what your talking about...let me know asap..please..these 4 codes had history in front of them..

Well.. Now we know why the check engine light is coming on. P036 = EGR pintle out of position. Easy fix, really, and likely what is causing the light to come on. The EGR valve is getting carboned up and the shaft is sticking. It just needs to be cleaned. :) The EGR valve has to be removed to do this but it is pretty simple to remove and clean and reinstall. The EGR valve has a passage in the base that is easily accessed for cleaning once it is removed from the engine. Pay close attention to the shaft of the valve inside the passage. Just do not let any solvent run down the shaft into the can of the valve or the solvent will eat the insulation off the wire windings inside the can. Once the EGR valve is cleaned it will be fine and the code will disappear. Common service item at 100+K miles, actually.

S061 = Right front position sensor fault. The position sensor on the suspension at the right front has failed or has a cut wire/disconnected/dirty connector/etc. and needs to be investigated. This just causes the road sensing suspension to be inactive and could also affect the lift/dive code discussed before.

Your main thing is to have the EGR valve cleaned and have a Cadillac dealer look at the suspension sensor some time when it's convenient.

little tx
02-01-04, 12:46 AM
Anthony....thank you so much you are a big help..do i need to get it into the dealer asap? how much does this all cost more less any idea? thanks for your time.....will it mess things up if i keep driveing it? it drives just the same..thanks a bunch..

Anthony Cipriano
02-02-04, 04:03 PM
Anthony....thank you so much you are a big help..do i need to get it into the dealer asap? how much does this all cost more less any idea? thanks for your time.....will it mess things up if i keep driveing it? it drives just the same..thanks a bunch..

I really don't know what it'll cost. Sorry! You do want to be specific that you want the EGR valve cleaned only as anyone looking at the codes would probably try to sell you an EGR valve. If there is a general repair shop just have them do it. Print the info out and for them and ask them to clean the EGR valve. It shouldn't take more than an hour at most for an experienced mechanic.

It isn't going to hurt anything to not clean it except the longer it sticks the more it will stick and the harder it will be to clean it and for it to recover. As it sticks more and more it will cause some driveability issues such as stumbling. Your fuel economy will start to suffer as well. I would have it taken care of so that it doesn't escalate into other codes as well.