: Paint and body repair?

V-SATX
04-27-06, 08:09 AM
How long, if at all, should you wait before washing and waxing your car? I get my baby back today from the autobody shop. I had the back bumper guard replaced and painted and the front license plate removed. I had the front re-sprayed and the hood as well.

Thanx gents.

:cheers:

CIWS
04-27-06, 08:15 AM
Depending on the shop they may do this for you. I know they were going to handwax mine (dealership "collision center") and I told them not to. Partly because I wanted my damn car back (gone 16 days) and more so because no one will ever take the time on / care for your car like you will. (except maybe that guy in the U.K. but he get's paid very well for it ;) )

If you just had the front and hood resprayed I'd consider Clear Bra before it's gets chipped up.

V-SATX
04-27-06, 08:56 AM
Depending on the shop they may do this for you. I know they were going to handwax mine (dealership "collision center") and I told them not to. Partly because I wanted my damn car back (gone 16 days) and more so because no one will ever take the time on / care for your car like you will. (except maybe that guy in the U.K. but he get's paid very well for it ;) )

If you just had the front and hood resprayed I'd consider Clear Bra before it's gets chipped up.

CIWS,

Yeah, I am considering the clear bra...a must investment. Hopefully, I will not have a mountain of tickets here in Texas regarding the front license plate issue.

Thanx for the recommendation.

rand49er
04-27-06, 09:03 AM
... Yeah, I am considering the clear bra...a must investment ...If you just do the hood and front bumper, it's really not that expensive ... maybe a couple of hundred.

V-SATX
04-27-06, 09:09 AM
If you just do the hood and front bumper, it's really not that expensive ... maybe a couple of hundred.

How far up the hood does the bra cover? Does it cover part or any of the front fender?

CIWS
04-27-06, 09:25 AM
Depends on the "kits" used. Use this vehicle model search and it will show the available kits for the V and what / where it covers.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products/browser.cgi

V-SATX
04-27-06, 10:26 AM
Depends on the "kits" used. Use this vehicle model search and it will show the available kits for the V and what / where it covers.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products/browser.cgi

Great link; thanks.

Black Raven CTS-V
04-27-06, 02:18 PM
Don't know if anybody has specifically answered your question, but I know a top-notch body shop guy that recommends waiting two to three months before waxing fresh paint work. I am sure that you will probably get a number of different opinions from a number of different people, but this is the only paint and body guy that I have found that I actually trust to do factory quality work and paint color match.

On a side note, I have not had any issues not having a front license plate, but I am in Houston, not San Antonio.

V Amazed
04-27-06, 02:31 PM
As far as the front license plate issue is concerned: In Texas, I believe there was a new law passed that stipulated front license plates are no longer manditory. I think the date of this was September of '05. I don't however know if that law only applies to cars manufactured/registered past that date. Might want to check that out.

Ben

CIWS
04-27-06, 04:10 PM
Two plates are still required in the state of Texas.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000502.00.htm#502.404.00

lars464
04-27-06, 07:14 PM
I am sure your paint feels dry to the touch. The fact is that paint solvents evaporate from the inside out. If any type of silicone based wax is used, the solvents get trapped in. This will cause small pop marks in the finish, or even worse. If you must polish now, be sure to use a bodyshop safe product. If the car sits out in the sun often, 30 days will work. If its not exposed to alot of direct sunlight, I would wait 60-90 days before waxing. I hope this helps you.

lars464
04-27-06, 07:14 PM
I am sure your paint feels dry to the touch. The fact is that paint solvents evaporate from the inside out. If any type of silicone based wax is used, the solvents get trapped in. This will cause small pop marks in the finish, or even worse. If you must polish now, be sure to use a bodyshop safe product. If the car sits out in the sun often, 30 days will work. If its not exposed to alot of direct sunlight, I would wait 60-90 days before waxing. I hope this helps you.

lars464
04-27-06, 07:16 PM
oops. Sorry about the double post!

Vendetta-V-
04-27-06, 07:19 PM
Actually, the above counts as a triple post! ^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)