: paint gurus

V Amazed
04-27-06, 12:18 AM
Question for all you knowledgable about detailing. I just had my car repainted, and want to use some detail spray on it. Body shop said don't use any sealants for 90 days. The detail spray that i'm itching to try out is the new Turtle Wax Ice detail spray. It says on the package that its water based, but it also says that it has a number of strong synthetic polymers. Does this mean that they will seal up the paint? Should I stay away from such a product? Thanks.

Ben

Kyle15
04-27-06, 01:38 AM
I have two black cars and Ice is the best product I have used, its insane. Definitely use it.

SoCadillac
04-27-06, 02:06 AM
Question for all you knowledgable about detailing. I just had my car repainted, and want to use some detail spray on it. Body shop said don't use any sealants for 90 days. The detail spray that i'm itching to try out is the new Turtle Wax Ice detail spray. It says on the package that its water based, but it also says that it has a number of strong synthetic polymers. Does this mean that they will seal up the paint? Should I stay away from such a product? Thanks.

Ben
Absolutely DO NOT apply it to your paint job as it is still curing and will continue doing so for at least 90 days; I wait three to six months. If you seal it with wax or even detailing spray (especially with the polymers you mentioned), you run the risk of the paint hazing or other problems in the future.

Surfer-Dude
04-27-06, 12:26 PM
I'd wait before you touch the paint wih anything. And don't even bother with Turtle Wax Ice, it's crap. People are having it last 3-4 days. You should get some quality products, not OTC crap. If you want a cheap, but top notch spray, order some Optimum Car Wax. Check Autopia or Autogeek for stuff.

V Amazed
04-27-06, 02:16 PM
Well, as a follow up, I've used the NXT detail spray on the car after it got painted for yet another collision repair about 3 weeks ago. Do I need to dawn wash and or clay the car to get that stuff off so as to let the paint cure properly? I don't want to hurt the finish in the long run.

Ben

SoCadillac
04-27-06, 02:59 PM
Well, as a follow up, I've used the NXT detail spray on the car after it got painted for yet another collision repair about 3 weeks ago. Do I need to dawn wash and or clay the car to get that stuff off so as to let the paint cure properly? I don't want to hurt the finish in the long run.

Ben
Yes, you really should remove the NXT detail spray as it contains chemicals used in the NXT wax. If you can the sun's UV rays truly help in curing paint, so any time you can let the sun bake on the paint, let it do so.