: 93 Water Pump Confusion

prosin
04-26-06, 04:59 PM
I have read a lot of information this afternoon. I have a new impeller and the special removal tool. Is there a new water pump housing I should be purchasing. It's in an Allante - during the night a large amount of antifreeze leaked out - when I started it I could see a small trickle of antifreeze coming out from the area where the water pump is - I am leaving work now to go home and make repairs - after all the reading today I am fearful that I have not gotten all the neccessary parts. I was hoping to go home and have this done in an hour - I would appreciate any advice or tips to ensure a successful evening - am tired of driving the wife's Grand Marquis........

Ranger
04-26-06, 06:17 PM
No need to R & R the housing that I am aware of. All you should need is the impeller, socket and a new front cover gasket.

prosin
04-26-06, 06:53 PM
I am getting started right now - I have a O ring type gasket that came with the impeller - is there another gasket required - if so I need to get that now. I picked up a tube of permatex when I got the pump.

Ranger
04-26-06, 09:18 PM
The "O" ring seals the pully side of the pump. The opposite side that you remove to insert the socket is the pump cover. It also has a gasket. It may be reusable, but they have been known to leak and have been redesigned. It would not be hard to R & R it if neccessary later.

prosin
04-26-06, 09:37 PM
Done - had help by my 8 year old too - I must say that I vote along the 'piece of cake' lines. Buy a quality tool and have a breaker bar for sure!!

chevelle
04-27-06, 12:19 AM
If you notice any seepage from the pump cover later on just remove the cover, dry and clean the mating surfaces and apply a light skim of RTV along the mating surface, reassemble and let it cure at least overnight before putting the coolant back in. That is the key to making the RTV joint perfect on the water pump cover is to let the RTV cure before putting the coolant back in or stressing the joint by filling and subjecting it to pressure.