: The $74,000 question?

VELOSE
04-26-06, 03:17 AM
I got a call today from the salesguy who sold me my 06 Audi A4. He tells me that they want to know if I was interested in the Audi RS4 that's coming soon? All they wanted was a $500 refundable deposit if I didn't want to buy it when it shows up. He tells me the price is set at MSRP of $74k fully loaded. Only 500 models will make it to the US.

What are your thoughts guys? Is the V worth replacing for this RS4? Only you guys know the V as much as me.

The way I see it. It's a blend of both cars. The performance of the V8 in the V and the German build quality of the Audi. Is my head on straight?

All of this(what I currently own)....
http://images16.fotki.com/v280/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2196-vi.jpg
http://images1.fotki.com/v290/photos/1/197993/3277323/IMG_2301-vi.jpg

For this....
http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/sportscars/Audi%20RS4%20Quattro%202005%201%20-%201024x768.jpg

04CTSVFLA
04-26-06, 03:39 AM
can i buy your rims at an amzingly low price if you sell your V, i have stockers ///// :-)

moldowan
04-26-06, 05:19 AM
first off.never believe salesmen!!!
the audi rs4 will be a 2 yes (TWO) year production vehicle! half of 2006 and all of 2007. although it will be called a 2007 model year. In "08 the a4 will recieve a redesigned body.
the rs4 production #'s will be closer to 2000 when all is said and done for the 1.5 years or so it will be in production. the 1st "wave" of units avail will be 500 units shipped. these cars will not be avail as sold order cars and will be loaded as the base msrp is 66K for the rs4.
euro spec rs4's were melting cylinder heads like crazy and audi has "fixed" this problem... the only problem is there not dyno'ing @ 420hp but closer to 400HP!!! Nice fix huh!!!
when the RS6 came out they said only 800 units but made 1300-1400 units and extended the build dates on it!!! The rs6 has as many problems if not more than our V's, just read rs6.com web page under "community"
the GOOD news is RS cars hold there value really well despite audis typical terrible depreciation. although i wonder if this rs4 will hold as well as the past cars???
BMW will have a 425HP M3 out in 1 year and M/B will have a rediculious C63 AMG will supposedly 480HP!!!!!!!!!!!:worship: in 1.5 years.
That being said enjoy the HP wars thru 2009 I see a end in sight just like the 60's and early 70's all over again :xcry:
-moldy

oh yeah any other questions about audi's fire away, I know them like the back of my hand-LOL

moldowan
04-26-06, 05:32 AM
oh yeah to answer your question;
I think the V is better looking but the quality and performance of the RS4 will be MUCH better!
so I say buy it!!! and see what the NEW V looks like in 2008 or 2009
-moldy

dannystang
04-26-06, 07:12 AM
Nice car but hold off...

New supras, and talk on ls8 or 9...

All points to market being fluctuated with 450-500 + hp cars.

Which makes all the cars now cheaper.

Kinda like the housing market

erp2863
04-26-06, 09:37 AM
Why wouldn't you buy a C6 Z06 for that kind of money? If you really need 4 doors, how about a slightly used E55, or even save a little extra and get a new M5.

I don't see the price justification on the RS4. Why is it $25k more than the S4?

Eric

rand49er
04-26-06, 09:41 AM
... That being said enjoy the HP wars thru 2009 I see a end in sight just like the 60's and early 70's all over again ...Agreed.

wildwhl
04-26-06, 10:10 AM
IMHO the Audi will be overpriced by the time it is actually here and the *other barrels* of the other mfg's start firing.

I'd keep what you have for one more year. If the RS4 is what you want at that time, you'll be able to find one, I'm sure of it.

WW

Mutlu
04-26-06, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't be so sure if the Audi is that much more reliable then the Caddy. Not that the Caddy is great but the Audi won't be that much better.

Falkolade
04-26-06, 11:41 AM
there will always be something new and better... after you get the audi... benz will drop the c63, and the m3... then you will have wish you waited... stick with the v... theres always new product to buy!

VELOSE
04-26-06, 11:59 AM
Moldowan, you've shared some interesting points. I'm going to let a test drive make my decision. When an RS4 comes in, the dealer said I can test drive one. I don't suppose very far but at least I get behind the wheel.

I'm not so sure how well an AWD Audi can maneuver around a road course. My current audi seems to have serious understeer. I know the RS4 has a rwd bias diff of 40:60 but, I'm not so sure how much understeer will be eliminated at that.

More than anything, I seem to be more excited to wait for the M3. It should be more affordable. It's also the benchmark for superior handling. That's who we(CTS-V) aim to beat on a track.

erp, if I wasn't selling both my sedans, I'd consider the C6 Z06. Don't think the idea hasn't crossed my mind.:D

Hearing that Audi is not reliable is also disconcerting. I'll wait and see what the test drive is like in a few months. For now let's get more feedback.;)

Kyle15
04-26-06, 12:07 PM
I seriously contemplated trading in both my cars and getting an RS4 so I think its a good idea but what kept me from doing that is the fact that I have a Trailblazer SS too and I like to have a 2nd car for doing other stuff I don't want to use the V for. If you don't need a 2nd car for anytrhing like that pleae buy it, its going to be one badass car.

5andunder
04-26-06, 12:11 PM
Did you get the call from Livermore? I got a similar call… I had a ’04 S4 and after the top was replaced twice I picked up the V b/c the price was right but fell in love with it. My car comes off lease about the time the RS4’s will be arriving, I am on the fence as well but I think it is worth the $500 bucks to hold the spot and evaluate the market as the delivery date gets closer.

1fstkde
04-26-06, 12:12 PM
74000???? please...let me buy the z06 and see you at the light...then that will answer your question..dont get me wrong, its a very nice car but not for 74k...

VELOSE
04-26-06, 12:19 PM
Kyle, I have a Denali in the garage too. I use the current Audi to commute to work 60 miles each way because I get 26mpg on it. However, I only need to go into the office twice a week at most. So I'm starting to wonder if I really need a car with good gas mileage.

5andunder, I got the call from Stevens Creek Audi in San Jose. I can't stand Livermore. They wouldn't negotiate on price. After I bought my audi at Stevens Creek, I went to Livermore for my first 5k oil change. They left the oil drain plug half way out. I was leaking oil everywhere.

Koooop
04-26-06, 12:44 PM
I read about the RS4, sounds like a fun car. In 18 months or so I'm going to get a new ride myself. I don't go for high performance Audi's, they're to much trouble (I drove a few of the older turbo charged quattro's and they were a blast to drive). 500 cars may be the number for North American delivery.

My short list is

'08 CTS-V
M45
Maserati Quattroporte
CLS 500

Notice there is no BMW? I've suffered enough thank you.

alcast082
04-26-06, 01:03 PM
The difference is quality.
Don't start saying the audi has problems with turbos or engines or that the v is just as good in terms of reliability.
what I mean is; Compare the interior and exterior of the new rs4 and materials used, everything is solid and as far as technology behind it it has everything.
the two tone recaro seats make you drool when you look at them.
Don't get me wrong I drive a V because of several reasons and would not pay 74K for an rs4 but it is trully a sweet ride.

Jon
04-26-06, 02:22 PM
Hell no, keep the V.

VELOSE
04-26-06, 03:41 PM
Right now 422 Wheel Horsepower and 448 Wheel Torque tell me to stay with the V compared to the RS4's 425 Crank Horsepower and 395 Crank Torque.

Also, the independent rearend eventhough, known to be weak, is another selling point of the V. The V handles on rails for a sedan.

As much as the Tremec tranny has some problems engaging gears, under fast applications on the track or street, it never fails me.

Modifications wise, the V has a ton of parts available. Trying to keep up with the Horsepower war won't be hard for us.

The V might not be as well built as the Audi but it doesn't sit on its ass. So what am I bitchin' about? I guess the hard part is that I already own an Audi. It's when I go from one car to the other that I'm reminded of how much of a grunt the V is sometimes.

alcast082
04-26-06, 04:53 PM
well also remember when you go from one car to the other what a smile the v can put on your face with your maggie screaming.
kind of corny but someone had to say it

5andunder
04-26-06, 05:18 PM
Not shocked about them not really dealing I did the deal on my S4 via a broker and they even gave him a hard time. I am shocked about the service, they actually did all the mods on my S4... Keep us posted on what you decide... I am still thinkin' about the rs4 but the E55 is calling my name...

One day when you have the V on this side of the pass I would be willing to buy you a drink so I can check out your Maggie setup... I work in Pleasanton and live in San Ramon...

MrEr1c
04-26-06, 06:48 PM
for that much money have you considered the sts-v? or is it too much of a "different" vehicle than what you are looking for?

VELOSE
04-26-06, 07:28 PM
5andunder, I'll PM you next time we have a meet at the Pleasanton In-N-Out. Dave, Pimpcaddy, i think, is local too. I have a neighbor around the corner from me with a maggied V too. We'll all get together some day.

MrEr1c, the STS-V would be too different for me. Need a manual tranny. Really though....I'm sticking to the V. The RS4 is going to be fun to test drive. ;)

Oniix21
04-26-06, 08:24 PM
I think someone said this...I WANT YOUR RIMS!! there awesome, but onto your question I owned a 2005 S4 had a GIAC ECU stuff and CAI and some other stuff and traded it in for my CTS-V and cannot say how much better the V really is but if, I know the RS4 is 414HP and an 8,250 Redline but isnt much better than the V in build quality or anything else really and Cadillac's Curb Weight on the 06 CTS-V is 3509 and the RS4 dont expect to be a lightweight car my manual S4 weighed at 3875 so dont expect and big performance difference

cjones
04-27-06, 12:33 AM
I was thinking about the RS4, I briefly had a 2001 S4 and loved it. I think it's just a little too much.

The Top Gear review of it was pretty good, they loved it.
You can download it here. http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/7/2/

byucelt
04-27-06, 12:40 AM
The RS4 is going to be incredible but $74K gives you many choices. The new V, M3, ZO6 are obviously great and possibly more powerful choices. Audi's are some of the best looking cars built but in regards to reliability IMO they are the worst.

Kadonny
04-27-06, 08:12 AM
I love the RS4 and all, but for 10k more I get a stripped down M5. No doubt about it.

VELOSE
04-27-06, 12:42 PM
I love the RS4 and all, but for 10k more I get a stripped down M5. No doubt about it.

I was thinking about that car too. It's RWD and possibly no understeer compared to the AWD RS4. The V10 sings beautifully per the videos I've seen. It's roomier than the RS4. Has more horsepower, and the styling is one of my Bangle favorites. Hmm.....:hmm:

jpr
04-27-06, 12:52 PM
One thing that doesnt get as much discussion on this comparo between the RS4 and M5 is fuel economy. The S4 does about 14mpg with 340hp and the general manager of my local BMW dealership (which happens to be a friend) is lucky to get 10mpg on the M5. It is amazing that our so called "low tech" pushrod V8 gets 17mpg average.

It may not significant in a one tank basis, but it sure adds up..........

Jpr

csp3000
04-27-06, 03:34 PM
2007 505 HP LS7 Super CTS V.......... This would solve all problems:bouncy:
http://worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/.../cadillac-cts-super-v-spy-photos

csp3000
04-27-06, 06:45 PM
2007 Super CTS V LS7 505 HP read this ....:)
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109332?synpartner=edmunds&pageurl=www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109332

VELOSE
04-27-06, 09:10 PM
or just give me new ones. ;)