: Ok guys i really need some input here...

Adam
04-25-06, 09:04 PM
well today i got a credit card with a credit line of $2,500. i really want another Fleetwood, it has drove me crazy, i miss my baby! so i was thinking, this is what they gave me for my Fleetwood after the wreck which went to the down payment on my CTS, so i could possible find an OK Fleetwood (93-96 but prolly 93) and buy it with that. but is this a good idea or not? i dont have much in the way of bills. my CTS payment, my insurance (which would actually be cheaper if i had a car that was not full coverage), three credit card payments (two of which will be paid off this year, minimum payment on them is between 10-30 dollars a month), and my cell phone bill which is like 40 dollars a month. so i dont have to pay much of anything really. plus i could pay this thing off in about a years time (give or take a few months). so if i can find one, do you guys think it would be a good idea?

caddycruiser
04-25-06, 09:38 PM
I would say 1) go for it, and 2) you should be able to find a nice '93 for $2500...maybe not just sitting around the corner, but after a little searching.

You seem to have everything in control and in order, so why not? I paid for my '95 with cash, but it wasn't exactly an expected thing or something that money was really destined for, but I wanted it and got it--and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made (first car, but I buy so much other stuff all the time, it still counts).

Then again, having the CASH is a lot different than having the CREDIT...

Adam
04-25-06, 11:22 PM
I would say 1) go for it, and 2) you should be able to find a nice '93 for $2500...maybe not just sitting around the corner, but after a little searching.

You seem to have everything in control and in order, so why not? I paid for my '95 with cash, but it wasn't exactly an expected thing or something that money was really destined for, but I wanted it and got it--and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made (first car, but I buy so much other stuff all the time, it still counts).

Now, on to that searching...

true but what i am not looking forward to is basically another car payment. well i just might do it though. and the first thing it is getting is juice and wires. i aint dicking around like i did with the last one and wait almost a year before i did it. this time she is getting juiced and then painted. well i would like to get some other opinions though but i am gonna start the search. i will tell you this, it took me two years before i got my Fleetwood.

ShadowLvr400
04-25-06, 11:40 PM
I'd wait myself. You never know when something will happen, and you'll find yourself stretched too thin. Get some money set aside in case sh*t happens before you pick up a second car IMO. I was in that situation, thought i had shit in hand, then had to move, switch jobs, now I'm stretched very thin. Need to work 60 odd hours to catch up as it were.

Adam
04-25-06, 11:50 PM
I'd wait myself. You never know when something will happen, and you'll find yourself stretched too thin. Get some money set aside in case sh*t happens before you pick up a second car IMO. I was in that situation, thought i had shit in hand, then had to move, switch jobs, now I'm stretched very thin. Need to work 60 odd hours to catch up as it were.

thanks bro, am taking that into consideration. good advice there.

Bro-Ham
04-26-06, 01:37 AM
Hi,

For emotional purchases, such as old cars, in my opinion it's best to save up and pay cash since paying high credit card interest is an evil financial disease.

Good luck!

Dave

A3D
04-26-06, 06:57 AM
Hi,

For emotional purchases, such as old cars, in my opinion it's best to save up and pay cash since paying high credit card interest is an evil financial disease.

Good luck!

Dave

I agree. The decision to buy a car you want, but don't need, can often be an emotional one. How you decide to pay for that car should not be. Save up the money and pay cash. :thumbsup:

Denny

caddycruiser
04-26-06, 06:58 AM
All good points, and even though I'd still jump on it, sitting back and REALLY thinking about whether it will stretch you a little too thin or not should be considered.

These cars tend to turn into hobbies, and they aren't new, so repair bills are always there from one time to another, so it's all stuff to consider.

I just got lucky with finding the car and having the cash sitting there, which is probably the only reason I was able to get it...I'm not in a position right now to be making payments on much of anything but for a small credit card bill.

Adam
04-26-06, 11:35 AM
well after talking with my fiancee its not gonna happen. we got the wedding and the honeymoon and all that good stuff. i am an impulse buyer so when i see something or get money like that i just spend it. oh well, its going to the honeymoon.

AElayyat
04-26-06, 12:38 PM
well today i got a credit card with a credit line of $2,500. i really want another Fleetwood, it has drove me crazy, i miss my baby! so i was thinking, this is what they gave me for my Fleetwood after the wreck which went to the down payment on my CTS, so i could possible find an OK Fleetwood (93-96 but prolly 93) and buy it with that. but is this a good idea or not? i dont have much in the way of bills. my CTS payment, my insurance (which would actually be cheaper if i had a car that was not full coverage), three credit card payments (two of which will be paid off this year, minimum payment on them is between 10-30 dollars a month), and my cell phone bill which is like 40 dollars a month. so i dont have to pay much of anything really. plus i could pay this thing off in about a years time (give or take a few months). so if i can find one, do you guys think it would be a good idea?

I'm in the car business, and from what I have seen some people do to their credit and so on (I'm not saying you are one of these people, don't take it the wrong way), I'd advise you to wait.

The thing is it is best to keep your debt at a minimum. I mean 1 car payment & insurance, and other necessary bills are the way it should be. I'd wait until you have that CTS very close to being payed off or if you manage to save up enough to buy a Fleetwood Cash, then I would go for it.

caddycruiser
04-26-06, 03:47 PM
well after talking with my fiancee its not gonna happen. we got the wedding and the honeymoon and all that good stuff. i am an impulse buyer so when i see something or get money like that i just spend it. oh well, its going to the honeymoon.

Probably the best idea. I'll take a line from my father right now and say "Unless you have the extra cash to do it, forget it."

All the wedding stuff can really pile up, and that's probably the best allocation of funds.

But you sure do have a good outlook for your next future toy:thumbsup:

N0DIH
04-28-06, 03:28 PM
After 10 years we just got rid of our last credit card. Save yourself the headaches and finances. Don't use what you cannot pay back immediately. It isn't worth it. Those things hang on forever and are a pain to get rid of.

Don't spend your inheritance before you get it. Or, don't spend your harvest before you plant it. All you end up doing is plant your seed into the banks pockets and they get your harvest.

caddycruiser
04-28-06, 03:57 PM
Very true, and a reason why I ONLY use cards for things I have the money for, but just want to delay paying for them a bit...but then do pay it off every month. I realize not everyone has the means to do this, but it should at least be a goal.

Not always possible, and this isn't a whole thread about credit cards only, but still a good point to make. And like someone said, an older car that will for sure need some maintenance is not the kind of thing I want to be picking up "just because I have the credit line".