: Northstar 4.6 Interchange and Swapping

Mike7075
04-25-06, 04:26 PM
Would anyone know the difficulty in swapping Engines of the same type, in this case NorthStar Y engine, with the same engine but of a different year. For example, can a 95 OBDI Northstar Y be put into a 96 without much difficulty? I realize that the intakes (including fuel rails and throttle body) would most likely need to be swapped, but are there other parts (sensors, etc.) that would need to be transplanted to make a 95 engine work as an OBDII. From what I can tell through some research, these engines all share the same bottom end (including heads [less camshafts], engine blocks, and transmission mounting) and are interchangeable. It seems to me that all 95-98 intakes physically interchange since engine heads and intake manifold gaskets are the same through each year. So I presume I can take an intake from a 96 Northstar and bolt it onto a 95 engine. Is this a correct assumption? I know that each intake and fuel rail setup is different for each year, but what is the interchangeability between them? Also, is there any marking on a Northstar engine that would determine that it was definitely a VIN Y (LD8) or VIN 9 (L37)? I know there is a difference in cam lobes, trans gearing, and ECM program, but I would think that there must be a physical designator (such as the letters LD8 or L37) somewhere on these engines. Most answers I have found through searching have been vague, and if anyone can answer any of these questions, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

JaxxMan
04-26-06, 06:08 PM
I know there are casting numbers on the Cams themselves to tell them apart.

Sorry I don't have them handy but I have a set of each type. (Vin Y & 9) I almost mixed them up when I was working on my heads, thank goodness for the digital camera.

My exhaust cams have the same casting numbers from both sets it's just the intake cams that were different.

I am looking into a similar type of swap. I have a 94 Vin Y engine and I have a set of 98 vin 9 heads that I want to use. Might sick with the Vin Y cams though because I don't have the 3.71 final drive in my tranny to go with the Vin 9 cams.

Good luck with your project.

eldorado1
04-26-06, 06:21 PM
Might sick with the Vin Y cams though because I don't have the 3.71 final drive in my tranny to go with the Vin 9 cams.

Or the torque converter from the vin 9...

JaxxMan
04-26-06, 06:32 PM
Was looking into getting a higher stall unit already, but good point :thumbsup:

Mike7075
04-26-06, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info Jaxx. I did come across a post one time talking about measuring the cam lobes, but a casted number makes things much easier. I'm am going to pick up an engine this weekend. The guy selling it bought it as a '9' out of of a 96 Concours. He said it was different (one piece plastic fuel rail line instead of individual plastic lines) than his 98 '9' engine, so he thinks it may have been a base 'Y' Deville and not a Concours. I am thinking, if it is really a 'Y' then maybe it was out of a 95 Concours. If it turns out to be a '9' then I will swap heads or intake cams...here's another point...the Northstar is referred to as a dual overhead cam engine (dual meaning 2 cams per head)...I would think that Cadillac would have labelled it a quad cam for PR and bragging rights...Anyway, if anyone is a little confused by the origins of this engine, you can imagine how I feel since I've never even seen a Northstar with my own eyes yet...I have not taken delivery of the car yet (96 Deville).
Anyway, I did get a couple of numbers over the phone off of the engine...one of the cylinder heads has the number 3533990 and the block has a number 12553133. Any way to tell engine from these? GMpartsdirect says the right head is 3547970...close but no cigar.
Also, in case it is a 95 engine, anyone out there know how much needs to be swapped to make the 95 Northstar 'Y' OBDI work in a 96 as an OBDII? Thanks.

eldorado1
04-26-06, 09:13 PM
I would think that Cadillac would have labelled it a quad cam for PR and bragging rights...

It's possible they wanted to separate it from the problems the 2.3L "Quad 4" had with headgaskets..... although... I can't say it would've done much good. :rolleyes:

sonzilla
02-16-08, 01:53 PM
Wow I finally found the thread.

OK so I have a 94 seville Vin Y and a 96 Deville Vin Y both same motor.

So this means I can swap the 94 into the 96 deville as a direct swap? Will I need to use the 96 intake injectors etc. or can I keep all the parts from the Seville engine and bolt and plug it all right up.

Submariner409
02-26-08, 12:27 PM
Ummmm, Have you tried contacting one of the two Cadillac Techs in here who would know exactly what to do?

Most of us aren't post whores, so if no one currently has a damn good idea of what you're up against, it might take a while for your reply to come around.

Sit tight......someone will chime in.

sonzilla
02-26-08, 12:30 PM
Forget it it's way too late now I was trying to do the swap last week. I tried creating a thread and it never showed up. I guess the moderators decided my question wasn't worthy. I couldn't PM any of the moderators because I didn't have enough posts. Whatever I don't own a cadillac I was trying to help a friend of mine. Later

Mountie
02-26-08, 08:46 PM
Forget it it's way too late now I was trying to do the swap last week. I tried creating a thread and it never showed up. I guess the moderators decided my question wasn't worthy. I couldn't PM any of the moderators because I didn't have enough posts. Whatever I don't own a cadillac I was trying to help a friend of mine. Later

'93 & '94 N* are the same. '95 is different.

brucewhalley
02-26-08, 09:18 PM
I just had rebuilt 96 put in my car.the engine was rebuilt in los angeles.E and J AUTO does it for $2750 engine,$800 for labor.the engine is very quiet you just hear injector noise.call Jermal @ 323-753-5300 1yr. warranty.