: 99 STS Gas pedal sticking

Doug Jackson
01-21-04, 03:58 PM
My wife complains that when she first starts the car the gad pedal sticks and she has to hit it hard to get it to move. One the initial movement is over it works fine. I gave the linkage and throttle body shaft a shot of WD-40 but is still sticking on cold start-up. Any Ideas? Thanks Doug Jackson

97 concours
01-21-04, 05:06 PM
You may have some carbon buildup, where the throttle blade opens and closes.

Take a look at the throttle body before any open and close movements by the pedal. Move the throttle by hand and look to see if it's sticking at the throttle blade. This should narrow the problem to either the cable or the throttle blade. Sounds silly but also check that there is no interference between the pedal and floor mat.

Smokey
01-21-04, 06:42 PM
You may have some carbon buildup, where the throttle blade opens and closes.

Take a look at the throttle body before any open and close movements by the pedal. Move the throttle by hand and look to see if it's sticking at the throttle blade. This should narrow the problem to either the cable or the throttle blade. Sounds silly but also check that there is no interference between the pedal and floor mat.My 2000 Deville does the same thing. I have narrowed it to the throttle plate sticking in the TB bore. What is the cheapest /easiest way to correct this problem?

Cadillacboy
01-21-04, 06:56 PM
I am also getting same problem and thanks for the recommendations :) I'll take it into account

97 concours
01-21-04, 07:21 PM
Get some carburator cleaner spray. Then spray just a bit on a clean rag and while holdng the throttle blade open, use the rag to wipe clean the entire area. Afterwards spray a bit of lubricant ( about a drop or two) where the throttle blade rod makes contact with the throttle body. WD-40 is ok, but it loses it's lubricant properties too soon. I use a lubricant spray made by slick 50 which has a bit more viscocity than WD-40 and sticks to the moving parts better. CRC also makes a good lubricant which is used on Marine applications.

Aurora By Olds
01-21-04, 11:12 PM
Be careful as to what you spray drirectly into the TB as well.
Many chemicals can mess up MAF sensors and whatnot.
Its a good idea to start out by cleaning the TB. It never hurts.
That is usually the problem when it comes to the throttle sticking closed when it is cold. Ive had this happen to many of my vehicles, and cleaning the TB fixed it everytime.

Anthony Cipriano
01-22-04, 03:33 PM
With the engine off take the air duct from the throttle body and hold the throttle blade wide open, spray the perimeter of the throttle bore with carb cleaner and scrub it with a soft toothbrush. Also, clean the backside of the throttle blade. The deposit build up in the throttle body causes the stickyness off idle. Easy fix.

Smokey
01-23-04, 12:46 PM
With the engine off take the air duct from the throttle body and hold the throttle blade wide open, spray the perimeter of the throttle bore with carb cleaner and scrub it with a soft toothbrush. Also, clean the backside of the throttle blade. The deposit build up in the throttle body causes the stickyness off idle. Easy fix.
Thanks, I'll try that this weekend.

Doug Jackson
02-01-04, 12:13 PM
Yesterday I did as suggested and cleaned the throtle body bore and plate. The only fun part was removing the screen housing without dropping one of the three 7mm bolts that hold it in place. The end result was great not more sticking. Thanks guys you did it again. Hope I can help someone in the future. Doug Jackson

Anthony Cipriano
02-02-04, 04:08 PM
Yesterday I did as suggested and cleaned the throtle body bore and plate. The only fun part was removing the screen housing without dropping one of the three 7mm bolts that hold it in place. The end result was great not more sticking. Thanks guys you did it again. Hope I can help someone in the future. Doug Jackson

Thanks for the feedback and glad that took care of the problem. All to often, people just get the info and you never hear back from them. Nice to know something worked as planned for a change.

rodnok1
08-28-04, 05:28 PM
your recommendation worked great on my 99 Park Avenue. I thought the TPS may be going bad since it was hesitating off idle, during the TPS checking I noticed the throttle was hard to move and was making a clicking sound. Cleaned as you said and smooth as silk now. Thanks...only change, I couldn't really spray cleaner in there without getting it everywhere so I sprayed some in the cap and dipped the toothbrush in it. I also used a stiff toothbrush.

99 Park Ave
90K miles