: Are all gm PCM's the same?

nikon
04-25-06, 01:18 PM
well only reason I ask is I want a stealth toon but dont want the car to be out of commision...a while back I got a wait4me tune on my tahoe and now have a spare pcm laying around...are they all interchangeable...just different programming?? It was an 01' Tahoe

rand49er
04-25-06, 01:22 PM
What is the part no. for the Tahoe PCM? I bought a spare PCM for my StealthV tune, and it was PN 89017739. I think it came totally stupid (i.e. not programmed).

nikon
04-25-06, 01:27 PM
I have no Idea, Ill try and check though, maybee it'll match up.

pimpcaddy
04-25-06, 01:46 PM
Anyone know what the cost of a PCM for the V is?

Thanks,

pimpcaddy

rand49er
04-25-06, 01:57 PM
Anyone know what the cost of a PCM for the V is?

Thanks,

pimpcaddyGMPartsDirect has 'em for $408 and some change to (my) door. That's $258 for the PCM (as I recall), it includes a $100 "core charge", shipping/handling charges of about $40, and just FYI it's a REMANUFACTURED unit ... not that there's anything wrong with it, though.

Oh, and it comes STUPID I believe (i.e. not programmed).

StealthV
04-25-06, 04:51 PM
nikon, the 2001 Tahoe PCM won't because it only has a 512 kb flash capacity. From 2003 and up, GM started using a larger 1 MB PCM like what is in the V. I've got factory new PCMs on the shelf ready to go.

nikon
04-25-06, 04:54 PM
nikon, the 2001 Tahoe PCM won't because it only has a 512 kb flash capacity. From 2003 and up, GM started using a larger 1 MB PCM like what is in the V. I've got factory new PCMs on the shelf ready to go.

ah ha...ok I see now...works for me, I was wondering why the pcm rander bought was $408...I got a pcm and tune for $150 but the old pcm explains it...ok Ill be calling you sometime soon, hopefully at the beginning of the month when I get paid. Thankyou.

ewill3rd
04-26-06, 07:15 AM
No they are not even close to all the same.
Next, if you "swap" one out it still has to be programmed to work with the vehicle. The anti-theft system is usually integrated with information in the Engine computer. If it doesn't match, it won't start.
Service PCM's usually come with not much programming in them, or programming from a car that the unit was "tested" in.
Either way... if the computer is not broken just find a way to modify the software if you must. Replacing it because you want a different program is not a viable option.

cash
04-26-06, 07:37 AM
Agree with above.

When Phil from Dynotech was tuning our CTS-V there was a TSB out on our car, somthing to do with the computer did not have the VIN in it. With out this he could not tune the car, the computer would not accept it. All it took was a trip to the local Cadillac dealer, get the latest update and he was back in business.

Quite often cars may have several TSB's but you do not even know about them, when you go to the dealer for somthing they take care about it with out you even knowing.

I had the same problem when I was getting my Z06 tuned, there was a long list of TSB's on it.

I am assuming if Stealth V has them on the shelf he can do all of this for you, it sounds like everybody is very happy with his work.

SBONES
04-26-06, 08:01 AM
yo stealth i want it...but who can put it in when i get it...if ya can pm me..or ill hit you up later...thanks scott

nikon
04-26-06, 09:33 AM
is the pcm hard to get to on our cars or something???

stkshkr
04-26-06, 09:55 AM
No, it is a 5-10 minute job. which can be done by anyone that can turn a wrench and read.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/stealthv/shiftlight/index.html#1

ctsvett
04-26-06, 01:19 PM
damn... reading is required? I am out then...

Reed

stkshkr
04-26-06, 01:27 PM
Just look at the pictures then

nikon
04-26-06, 02:34 PM
it is easy, bones...you cant do it??

SBONES
04-26-06, 07:34 PM
how do i get under it...ramps...ill drive right over them, knowing me.

V Amazed
04-26-06, 10:18 PM
stealth, how much in addition to the tune is a spare PCM?

Ben

StealthV
04-27-06, 12:33 AM
A PCM is $400 which is right at my cost. One can get one off the shelf from here or order and supply your own - makes no difference on this end.

SBONES
04-27-06, 07:57 AM
stealth, i want that pcm...consider it sold...is it as simple as you programing it and me getting it in. no chk engine light or anything like that. Is there any way i can talk with you. # please..i have the 4 sheets you sent alittle while ago...i filled them out. now, i can fax this info to you or talk with you and just get the one you have....please let me know...i have settlement on a new home next month so i hope to get this done by then if possible...thanks scott