: Battle of the Barges: Avalon vs. Lucerne

Jesda
04-25-06, 12:22 PM
http://jesda.spilky.com/stlautoshow/stlautoshow%20117.jpg
http://jesda.spilky.com/stlautoshow/stlautoshow%20119.jpg

http://images.forbes.com/images/2005/06/28/BuickLucerne_426x238.jpghttp://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_chicago/lucerne/images/1.jpg
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_chicago/0502_buick_lucerne_01.jpg

I'll return later with my comments.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 07:06 PM
Lucerne.

davesdeville
04-26-06, 05:14 AM
The Lucerne, other than a slight case of bugeye, is actually a nice looking car. The Avalon is blah. The Lucerne wins in power with the Northstar, the Avalon wins in fuel economy. Build quality is supposedly quite good for both. I'd definately give the overall win to the Lucerne though.

Lord Cadillac
04-27-06, 07:13 AM
The Toyota Avalon has noticibly more power than even the Northstar version of the Buick Lucerne... 0-60 in about 7.6 for the Lucerne as opposed to the Avalon's 0-60 in about 6.6. A full second. The Avalon costs about $2000.00 less...

Now let's give a fairer picture comparison, as Jesda pictures the top model Lucerne's interior vs a lesser Avalon competitor...

Toyota Avalon:
http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2006-avalon_limited/800x600/wallpaper_0e.jpg

Buick Lucerne:
http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2006-lucerne_cxs/800x600/wallpaper_11.jpg

And better exterior shots...

Toyota Avalon:
http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2006-avalon_limited/800x600/wallpaper_07.jpg

Buick Lucerne:
http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2006-lucerne_cxs/800x600/wallpaper_02.jpg

90Brougham350
04-27-06, 10:55 AM
I like the interior pix of the Avalon better than I like the Lucerne, but I think the Buick takes the cake on the outside; the Toyota is just boring to look at.

Brian

1fastSTS
04-27-06, 11:59 AM
The avalon woodgrain interior is awful, its so bright and cheesy looking. looks like some guy put aftermarket stick on crap. terrible in my book. the lucernes seats are by far better than the avalons flatlook, i like thye lucernes layout much better than the avalon. although the avalon does appear more spacious in the front. the lucernes layout is much nicer. excellent choice on buicks part to mimic the STS woograin and console area...the only part that annoys me is they should have complimented it with the woodgrain shifter and steering wheel.but i can def see the lucerne interior is solid and put together nicely, buick def. upped thier status with this one.
lucerne by far is much mroe attractive car. you guys are right, the avalon is just plain, looks similar to every other car on the road, i love the lucernes large chrome rims, attractive front and new style portholes that compliments its lines on the side. good job buick!

now isnt the avalon a v6? to buicks V8. the only dissapointment is, hey buick if your gonna give it a V8...atleast give it the 300hp northstar! but then again doesnt the lucerne offer a V6 as standard! Smart move! the only thing that surprises me is the fact buick used the 4.6.although i love this engine usually car companies stay consistant with their use of engine. the buick rainer has a 5.3L vortec engine, ud think theyd slap that engine in the lucerne for the new V8...maybe it coulda got the 303Hp like it should have!
reguardless im seeing lots of lucernes and lacrosses in Florida!, they are selling excellent.

Lord Cadillac
04-27-06, 12:04 PM
If you don't like the light-colored wood of the Avalon up top, it comes in a darker shade as well... Unfortunately, the leather in the Avalon is softer and the wood grain is actually real. Whether it looks cheesy or not, the Lucerne didn't even get REAL wood... And yes, the Avalon is a V6...
http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2006-avalon_limited/800x600/wallpaper_0f.jpg

1fastSTS
04-27-06, 02:11 PM
wow then buick is making some pretty damn good plastic looking wood, lol

annie
04-27-06, 04:54 PM
I have always thought the buick was atactive and the avalon was bland but the avolon's interior is a little better looking than the buicks. Also the wood on the steering wheel and shifter is something I think GM wanted to leave for the DTS since the buick's interior looks very similer to the DTS's. As far as the engines go if GM was only going to put 275 bhp in a 4000lb 2006 car they should have found a way to sqeeze 20 more bhp out of the CTS's 255bhp 3.6L and kept the prestiges northstare out of a slow buick that can't keep up with a 268bhp 3.5L v6 powered car. Also even though the avolon is only 3600lb it is only a little smaller than the buick inside and out. Last but not lest that one second faster car that has an MSRP $1000 less when fully louded gets 22 city and 31 highway compared to the portly buicks 17 city and 25 highway. These cars are in the same class and I think the bland looking avolon has all the right pros vs its cons.

Lord Cadillac
04-27-06, 05:47 PM
I agree, Annie.. All that, and consider many people don't find the Avalon boring at all.. I've actually stopped to take pictures of one... When the new Avalon and Camry came out, half the people thought it looked classy and half the people thought it looked boring.. Now, half of that half who originally thought the designs looked boring - are coming around.. Whenever Toyota comes out with a new vehicle, people automatically say it's boring - like the new Lexus LS460. It's like mouth-muscle memory...

davesdeville
04-28-06, 02:28 AM
The Lucerne is just plain bigger than the Avalon. Almost 400lbs difference, Lucerne is 6" longer, an inch narrower, and it's got about an inch more interior room in every dimension. The Avalon is faster; this does not mean it has more power. A locomotive has like 4000hp, but is it gonna be faster than an STS with only 320? I'm not sure the Lucerne's published 0-60 and 1/4 mile (which I think it more useful info than 0-60 anyway) times are giving it all the credit it deserves, if we have an SLS weighing the same with the same powertrain how is the Lucerne .6 slower in the 1/4??

1fastSTS
04-28-06, 08:56 AM
I thought the lucerne was lighter by about 200lbs than the STS.

Lord Cadillac
04-28-06, 09:52 AM
Right. The Avalon is a mid-size sedan and the Lucerne is a large sedan. I didn't even realize there was a difference..

Jesda
04-28-06, 12:43 PM
Plastic covers suck. They're so cheesy. If youre afraid of seeing your controls, you probably shouldnt be driving.

The Avalon interior you posted is identical to the one I posted. I saw it myself at the St Louis auto show.

I love the space, hate the styling chosen for the body and interior. Inside, it feels like a laboratory. The neutral colors of the buttons and switches look sterile, while the wood goes with absolutely nothing, since none of the remaining interior colors come close to looking like something from nature.

Outside, it looks like something that should have a Maytag badge. The awkwardly shaped headlights, "lets just stick a line there" beltline creases, and the hideously tall rear end that makes the rear wheels look small. The car, as a result, looks fat and slow, while the bigger Lucerne looks lean by comparison.

The last Avalons were MUCH better looking.

"TIME LOVE AND TENDERNESS!"

Lord Cadillac
04-28-06, 01:48 PM
Okay, so your pictures served better as a comparison. :alchi::thehand:

I don't get the "cover" either, honestly... Anyway. If you don't like the car, you don't like it. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise... :thepan:

ted tcb
04-28-06, 08:21 PM
Check out the resale valued of used Buicks vs. used Lexus/Toyota's.

You can't give away used Buick Century's, Regal GS's, or LeSabre's.
They are pulling low, low dollars at dealer auctions.

Like it or not, mid size Lexus/Toyota products pull strong auction numbers, even with high miles.

I've bought 3 used STS's simply because they are the best used value on the market. There's no way I would buy a new Lucerne, knowing there is very little resale value to a 4 year old Buick with 80k on it. I would speculate that the Avalon retains a higher resale value, based upon Toyota and Lexus historical values.

Styling is subjective, but in person, the Avalon interior reminded me of my STS ... quality materials. The Buick just didn't do it for me, and I don't think it will age gracefully.

Tombo47
04-28-06, 09:44 PM
If I am buyign a full sived american luxo liner, i wnat a V8 whether it has more or less HP than soemoen elses V6. My 1987 Fleetwood Brougham had a 307ci V8 and 170 HP...and you know what? there are V6s with mroe hp than that but id still opt for the V8.

Jesda
04-29-06, 01:36 AM
Okay, so your pictures served better as a comparison. :alchi::thehand:

I don't get the "cover" either, honestly... Anyway. If you don't like the car, you don't like it. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise... :thepan:

I dont doubt the drive or the quality. I just cant stand to look at or be in it. Lucky for Toyota, old people can't see.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-30-06, 01:06 AM
How's the Maxima fit into this comparison?

davesdeville
04-30-06, 02:10 AM
Not enough of a barge. The Lucerne is about 10" longer, weighs about 400lbs more, almost 3" wider.

Night Wolf
05-01-06, 01:19 AM
Avalon should never be called a barge! gosh, its about the same size as my Oldsmobile... thats considered a mid-size... almost full size.

Lucerne tho... that too isn't a barge but its alot better then the Yota.

gdwriter
05-01-06, 02:23 PM
From this week's issue of AutoWeek:
Avalon shows dent in Toyota quality; fixes sought for 'problematic vehicle' (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060501/FREE/60501002/1041)

Maybe it's time to revive that old advertising slogan, "Wouldn't your really rather have a Buick?"

http://www.gdwriter.com/images/ethel.jpg

Lord Cadillac
05-01-06, 04:05 PM
Embarrassment like this will only make Toyota work harder. Apparently, the "first year bug" hasn't slipped Toyota with the Avalon..

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-01-06, 05:42 PM
Rick's gonna love that...

Jesda
05-02-06, 01:31 AM
Yet somehow, the Avalon still looks fatter, bigger, pudgier. Might be because its shaped like an appliance, placing maximized dimensions above style.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-02-06, 11:05 PM
Jesda, you changed your signature :(

Jesda
05-03-06, 04:34 AM
I'm on a diet, reducing my sig size at all my forums. :)

annie
05-06-06, 08:15 AM
As long as toyota does not let their problems hang around, their fans will quickly forget all about these recalls. GM had this love until years of crap cars and lots of recalls killed their rep. This is why even as the quality of GMs cars tops all except toyota, their resale value falls well below their competition.

I think resale value is all about how much people will pay for the preceved value of a car. If a manufacture has a reputation for quality it will filter down to their cars wether they have it or not. this is why American cars like the cts-v, impala, and avalon have such low resale compared to their competition.

RPfingsten
09-09-06, 03:27 AM
Hello People... first time poster here... My name is Roland and I sure could use alittle imput from you people.. I currently drive a 96 DeVille, but within the next couple of days I'm going to trade it in for a new Avalon or Lucerne. My dilema is I'm not sure which way to go.. Love the looks of the Buick, but if I go that route, it will have to come with a Northstar.. The exterior of the Avalon is nice but where it really gets my attention is with the interior. I also am a fan of Toyota's V-6 that cranks out 268 hp. When you consider the weight difference in both vehicles, that makes both cars pretty much even up in the power plant. To make my decision harder, gm has now come out with a better warranty for the 07's... but it's pretty much a given that Toyotas are well built and have fewer mechanical problems... so you see, pro's for each car and very few negatives.... probably one of the biggest factors in my decision will be comfort. I'm a big fella...toooo big.. I wish that meant really tall, but it dosn't. So if I sit in the avalon and I feel restricted from side to side, then I'll more than likely go with the Buick, otherwise I will continue to struggle with a decision. I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts. I'll take this time to thank you in advance... come on now, help a fellow caddy owner out!!!! Thanks again.

Roland