: Fleetwood Review: April 15, 1993

Timothy60
04-25-06, 01:10 PM
Richard Truett

Orlando Sentinel
April 15, 1993
In the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, it is likely that a final chapter in automotive history has been written.
At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit earlier this year, Cadillac General Manager John O. Grettenberger said the new Fleetwood Brougham is likely the last full-size Cadillac the General Motors luxury car division will build.
Grettenberger said Cadillac ''will always have a six-passenger car'' but not one the size of the Fleetwood Brougham, a behemoth of an automobile.
How big and heavy is it?
The Fleetwood Brougham is more than 6 feet longer than a Mazda Miata. In fact, it's the longest regular production car in 1993. And with four averaged-size adults on board, the Fleetwood would weigh as much as three Geo Metros. For Cadillac, the Fleetwood Brougham is a last nod to the '60s, a time when soft was supreme, big was beautiful and chrome was cool.
PERFORMANCE
Cadillac uses a standard GM power plant to motivate the 4,400-pound Fleetwood Brougham. It's a fuel-injected 5.7-liter V-8 that makes 185-horsepower.
This is basically the same engine that's used in the Chevrolet Caprice LTZ and the Buick Roadmaster. In fact, underneath the Fleetwood Brougham you will find basically the same car as the Chevy and Buick.
The big Brougham offers reasonable performance. It is engineered for older drivers, who presumably don't want or need the high-horsepower, neck-snapping performance of a Seville STS with its advanced Northstar V-8 engine. As with the Caprice and Roadmaster, the Fleetwood comes with a smooth-shifting, four-speed automatic transmission that is computer controlled. For all practical purposes, the Fleetwood's drive train is unremarkable. It is as smooth as one would expect of a Cadillac, and it gets the job done without fuss. Fuel mileage, however, is astounding for such a big car. I got 18 mpg in city driving and 25 mpg on the highway.
HANDLING
Cadillac made the Fleetwood's suspension system extremely soft - so soft, in fact, that I found the car to be physically tiring to drive for long periods of time.
You have to do more in the driver's seat to control it. For instance, you find yourself slowing for curves and turns that most cars can breeze through without requiring so much as a second thought from the driver.
However, on the highway the Fleetwood rides as smooth and as comfortably as a jetliner. There is very little sensation of tires rolling across pavement.
As with giant Cadillacs of the '60s, this one also can be steered with one finger because the wheel takes so little effort to turn.
The anti-lock disc/drum brakes also were unremarkable. They did the job and nothing more.
FIT AND FINISH
The interior of the Fleetwood Brougham can be described as big, well lighted, soft, plush, functional and - if you find fake wood offensive - a little tacky.
Cadillac has outfitted the Brougham wit h dual air bags, a feature you can't get in the Chevy and Buick versions.
The air bags required a complete redesign of the dash, the top of which now seems as wide as your average-sized picnic table.
The bright blue electronic gauges are easy on the eyes and nicely styled.
Our test car was equipped with leather bench seats that were extremely soft and comfortable.
I don't think I have ever seen a car with so many seat electric adjustments as the Brougham.
The front seats - heated and equipped with a memory feature - moved in six directions and came with inflatable three-position lumbar supports. It seemed as if most anybody could find a way to get comfortable.
The rear seats were just as fine as ones in front. Three adults are easily can sit comfortably in the back.
If you've always wanted to drive the biggest car on the road and if you like a plush interior and an ultra soft ride, the Cadillac's Fleetwood Brougham is just the ticket.
Trett's tip: If you like a big car with a soft ride, you won't fine one bigger or softer than the new Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 03:34 PM
Hmmmm that makes it to sound like a bigger boat then it really was...

caddycruiser
04-25-06, 04:26 PM
That's MUCH better than the Newsday one.

A couple points:

Fuel mileage, however, is astounding for such a big car. I got 18 mpg in city driving and 25 mpg on the highway.

I know! Still amazes me to this day, including the '95 LT1 I just got.

Cadillac made the Fleetwood's suspension system extremely soft - so soft, in fact, that I found the car to be physically tiring to drive for long periods of time.
You have to do more in the driver's seat to control it. For instance, you find yourself slowing for curves and turns that most cars can breeze through without requiring so much as a second thought from the driver.

Again, I know, but I only have days like this once in a while and really can't stand to drive (at least the '93) for very long...but that's just a rare occurrence, I never could figure out. Just seemed boatier and hard to handle at these times, even though I know nothing really changed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 05:23 PM
You know...I feel the same after driving the deVille for a while.....same with the Roadmaster too... I wonder why...

caddycruiser
04-25-06, 07:34 PM
Beats me, might be a personal mood thing:rolleyes:

90% of the time, I could swing that thing around like a Porsche and love every minute of it, but then on those "off" days I felt like I was trying to manuever the Titanic and couldn't wait to end the trip. Haven't experienced that yet with the new one, but we'll see.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 07:45 PM
Yah..like I only feel like that like during a mid afternoon rush hour cross city in town driving..not out on the open road.

Lord Cadillac
04-25-06, 07:53 PM
I drove my 95 Fleetwood Brougham from Florida to New York, and back from New York to Florida - it was THE most comfortable car I'd ever driven on long rides.. I WILL have another Fleetwood Brougham one day... I should have never sold it...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 08:08 PM
Sandy, what made it so comfortable? Was it the ride or was it the seats?

caddycruiser
04-25-06, 08:41 PM
Sandy, what made it so comfortable? Was it the ride or was it the seats?

Um, that's not Sandy, and in my view, I would say the seats and the ride.

It can sometimes be hard (at least for me) to get the seat adjusted just right, but when you do, you don't want to get out...especially since the padding is a perfect plush but not mush combo, and the leather is so soft and luxurious (unlike the cheap hard crap in the Roadmaster).

Combine that with the ride, and you get one hell of a turnpike cruiser:thumbsup:

Oh, and I think some of the "troubles" I have from time to time with the '93 is the loose steering (needs fixed) and also the power, which is great 95% of the time, but the car also has these strange bouts 5% of the time where it dogs down a bit. When it's all good, though, there's nothing better, and you couldn't pry me out of the seat or the keys out of my hand.

Timothy60
04-25-06, 08:51 PM
I make frequent Syracuse-Boston trips and my 93 Cadillac Fleetwood is by far the most comfortable, long-legged vehicle I've ever owned. It is so under-stressed that the miles slip by like silk off a spool. I also own a 94 Lincoln Continental and have owned a 1970 Chrysler Imperial and a 73 Chrysler Newport, so I have some experience with large American iron. However, the Cadillac does seem clunky to me whenever I have to park inside a parking garage. That's when I really notice the massive bulk of the car. Plus, it takes up one entire side of my garage from wall to door. I had to remove the inside garage door handle for the Fleetwood to fit inside!

I have 3 more articles to submit; one of which concerns a 96 Fleetwood. It seems as if newspapers desired to write about the Fleetwood's introduction and it's final departure. I've found nothing in-between for 94 and 95 owners. Sorry. I'll post those tomorrow because they are on my school computer.

Adam
04-25-06, 09:58 PM
I should have never sold it...

:D i never get tired of hearing that. go ahead say it... Low was right! :p

i wish i would have taken my Deville the day i got in my wreck. i left earlier than normal that day and i was actually walking out the door with the keys to my Deville... but i forgot my wallet and went back in and grabbed the keys to my Fleetwood. i miss her so much :crybaby: . I TO WILL OWN ANOTHER FLEETWOOD! you can mark my words. actually i am going to start another thread about this so ya'll hang on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-25-06, 11:58 PM
Um, that's not Sandy, and in my view, I would say the seats and the ride.

It can sometimes be hard (at least for me) to get the seat adjusted just right, but when you do, you don't want to get out...especially since the padding is a perfect plush but not mush combo, and the leather is so soft and luxurious (unlike the cheap hard crap in the Roadmaster).

Combine that with the ride, and you get one hell of a turnpike cruiser:thumbsup:

Oh, and I think some of the "troubles" I have from time to time with the '93 is the loose steering (needs fixed) and also the power, which is great 95% of the time, but the car also has these strange bouts 5% of the time where it dogs down a bit. When it's all good, though, there's nothing better, and you couldn't pry me out of the seat or the keys out of my hand.

Yeah I meant Sal, same first two letters though!

If the leather is much better than the cheap hard crap in the Roadmaster, that makes a huge difference, plus the 93-94's had the three way lumbar supports. My '95 Roadmaster never had that. I don't remember the Roadmaster having particularly soft, cushy seats like my deVille. They weren't firm per say, but they seemed more plush than the '94 FWB I sat in. Speaking of which, does your '95 (or '93) have a somewhat angled backseat bottom? My Roadmaster did, and I hated it, it was so wierd, your legs were up so high and your ass was low. My deVille has it good, where its flat, so your legs are lower.

Here's a pic for comparison.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/753000-753999/753753_6_full.jpg

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i15/01/a/06/e5/d4/4f_4.JPG

BCs71
04-26-06, 03:01 PM
The bright blue electronic gauges are easy on the eyes and nicely styled.

That's the only part of the article I will disagree with...... :tisk:

What gauges are they talking about? All you get is a fuel gauge basically.... not like that helps much.

The fake-ish wood and the crappy minimalistic digital gauge panel are my interior complaints about this car. But then again, you had to think of their target demographic..... simpler is better.

caddycruiser
04-26-06, 04:37 PM
Yeah I meant Sal, same first two letters though!

If the leather is much better than the cheap hard crap in the Roadmaster, that makes a huge difference, plus the 93-94's had the three way lumbar supports. My '95 Roadmaster never had that. I don't remember the Roadmaster having particularly soft, cushy seats like my deVille. They weren't firm per say, but they seemed more plush than the '94 FWB I sat in. Speaking of which, does your '95 (or '93) have a somewhat angled backseat bottom? My Roadmaster did, and I hated it, it was so wierd, your legs were up so high and your ass was low. My deVille has it good, where its flat, so your legs are lower.

Well, at least as far as the back seats, I've never really been uncomfortable in the Roadmaster's back seats...the leg space is quite a bit tighter, but the cushion shape and firmness always seemed perfect to me. The Fleetwood's rear is a little softer (well, the '93s is, the '95s isn't) as far as padding, and I think does seem a little less angled than the Buick, because I think my butt feels higher in the Caddy and more in level with my knees...more like the pic of your Deville.

As far as the lumbar controls you mentioned, I thought the idea of having 3 separate controls was better and my father (a literal "lumbar freak") likes it, but the single control on the '95 is quicker and easier to use to me, and the support itself somehow feels better to me...mainly because I could never get the '93s just right.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-26-06, 05:09 PM
I hated the angled seat bottom on the Roadmaster, but then again I'm 5'6"

I guess with the three-way lumbar support, thats just one more thing to be finicky about..

lacmang
04-27-06, 02:55 PM
I love the loose steering. I prefer the digital speedometer too. My only complaints is the fake wood, and maybe the small glove box.