: I have some embarassing n00b questions ...

mdc
04-25-06, 11:49 AM
So I picked up my V on Saturday and have been driving ever since ... I absolutely love it and want to get the break in period over ASAP ...

I will admit though that I have no driven a stick in over 6 years (I was driving an auto Jeep Grand Cherokee in that time) and the stick I had before was in a 150hp Civic

Anyway ... the power difference is huge

So I found myself relearning a little in this car because the change was very drastic ... for example:

1. My Civic was a 5speed and if I was in 3rd and let the speed go below 15mph, the car was start really shaking around and I would have to downshift (which is perfectly understandable). In the V, I find that I can almost leave the car alone in 4th at 15mph and it goes reasonably well (as long as I am not really going uphill). I assume that it is because the car has a ton of torque (about 4 times was my Civic had). With the CAGS on (haven't installed the eliminator I bought from StealthV yet) I assume that this isn't that bad for the engine in stop and go if I just leave it in 4th, but I would like to make sure ... am I doing this right or am I putting undue stress on the drivetrain?

2. My Civic's clutch was fairly good, but as I mentioned, the power was lame. So when I took off from a hill, I used the parking brake trick to find the friction point and then take off by letting go of the parking brake ... the V of course has the foot controled parking brake so this was impossible. I was a bit nervous because of this. Anyway, I went to practice on a few hills, and the parking brake wasn't necessary as letting the clutch pedal up a little could hold the car still (again, I guess it is the torque). If this bad for the drivetrain and should I being doing something else or is this pretty much the only way to do it?

3. Going 60 on the freeway, I assume I should be in 6th to save gas ... but is 60 too low? Should I just keep it in 5th and only use 6th if I plan to cruise at high speed?

I know these questions seem really lame, but I just want to make sure I am treating the car well ... any help is greatly appreciated ...

mdc
04-25-06, 11:55 AM
Actually one more question ... a few days before I picked up the car, I called in to see if the dealer had everything ready to go. I paid for the upgraded suspension and asked if it had been installed ... the salesguy said that it was installed at the factory and I requested that he varify that as it is a dealer installed item.

He came back and told me that I was right and that they had no installed it yet but would be ready when I picked it up ... how can I tell that the work was actually done. Seeing as I don't have a point of reference in terms of actually driving a before and after suspension, I took their word that it was installed ... I would just like to verify though that I didn't pay for something I did not receive

How can I carify that my suspension was actually installed?

NH Vrod
04-25-06, 12:00 PM
You are right, this is not your civic!!
I do not like to drive (unless in first) in any gear under 1000 RPM, so you can pretty much drive around in 6th gear at 40 MPH.
I would not suggest taking off in 4th gear, not very good for the clutch, nor is holding the car on a hill with the clutch!!
Agian 6th gear is good anytime you can keep the car over 1000 RPM's there will not be much power untill you drop it down a few gears, but for just putting threw town it is fine.

Hope this helps.

SM

50 4Ever
04-25-06, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forum and the V world. The V does have a lot of torque, in fact the lugnuts probably take more torque than your Honda generated. :worship:

1. The gear selection is personal preference. When driving in traffic I try to keep the RPM's above 1500, sometimes from a stoplight I will start out in 2nd. You are not putting undue stress on the drivetrain but V8's do not like to be "lugged". I have a Corvette with an LS1 that is geared fifferently than the V (342 rearend vs 373) and in the owners manual it has a table that states the lowest recommended speed for each gear, for 6th it is 57 MPH which is about 1500 RPM, so that is where the 1500 limit I use comes from.

2. When I'm starting on a hill I let up the clutch slowly until it starts to engage then I slip my foot off the brake onto the gas. A few practices and it all becomes one motion. This is a little trick I learned when I was 16 driving a 14 yard dump truck. Some A$$&@%#% would pull up right behind me and I couldn't afford to roll back any.

3. I shift into 6th on the freeway about 50 MPH, again I try not to let the RPM fall below 1500. If I'm going 50 - 55 then start uphill, I'll shift into 5th.

Remember, no questions are lame.

Enjot the V.

:highfive:

heavymetals
04-25-06, 12:45 PM
Welcome!

The location of the parking brake is lame.

I suggest you leave enough room between you and the car ahead of you so you can creep it forward when some jerk pulls up behind you and you can't roll back (on a hill of course).

I also recommend that you make a copy of your first post and tack it up somewhere to look at six months from now when your knee deep in mods and thinking about a maggie:eek: cuz you want more power.:highfive:

Your DOOMED.

rand49er
04-25-06, 12:46 PM
Well, as one of the more senior old farts around here, I'm even more conservative than 50 4EVER. If I'm just starting out casually, I start in 2nd gear, and I'm usually in 6th gear at 35 MPH and above, unless I'm in a hurry. I agree with the above, however, do not let it lug.

Now, before I get laughed out of this forum, I DO probe the performance envelope occasionally, and I enjoy doing it, but I've got a little guy in the back seat a lot of the times, and he'd tell his mother on me. :tisk:

CIWS
04-25-06, 01:24 PM
:welcome: to the forum and the V.

1. CAGS sucks.

2. Drive the car where you feel comfortable in relation to gear / rpm. I would doubt in most cases you're going to want to get much below 1500 rpms while driving anyway. I shift into 6th on the highway to save gas or 5th's revs are getting too high for normal driving (3500+). I even use 6th sometimes in town if I'm in a 45+ speed zone and feel I can get away with 50+

3. The shock package that's a dealer add-on is called the FG2. I don't remember the part numbers off the top of my head, but I'm willing to bet they are somewhere on the FAQ site ( http://www.cadillacfaq.com if you don't already know about Reed's site) and / or are posted in threads here. However I'm also betting someone will post them in here for you to verify with on your V.

ctsvett
04-25-06, 01:35 PM
welcome...

FG2 suspension: You should be able to look at the shock and read the part number off the yellow sticker. Compare this to the one on the FAQ to know it was done correctly..

AS WELL, take the stock shocks with you. YOU actually bought BOTH sets of shocks and you can keep (or sell) the "stock" shocks. Thats the other way to tell if they were installed. compare those part numbers to the ones on the FAQ...

Reed

trukk
04-25-06, 01:43 PM
@60mph, you should be in 3rd gear.

I rarely use 5th.

We have a 6th gear? If so I NEVER used it.

Have fun!

-Chris

mdc
04-25-06, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone ...

As for the mods ... I don't think I will do anything other than tires and the CAGS eliminator I already bought ... I know everyone says it is impossible not to mod, but I bought a motorcycle for the modding bug ... it's a lot cheaper :D

Luna.
04-25-06, 02:21 PM
Agree with the above posters.

1. Do NOT use the clutch to hold the car when up a hill--not good for it at all.

2. I also wouldn't take off often in an unreasonable gear (say, like 4th gear).

3. I also wouldn't lug the motor (under 1,500 RPM). I WOULD use 6th gear often, but only if I was at a reasonable RPM (say, 1,500 or higher). Lugging the motor is probably not the best way to get your best gas mileage. However, 6th gear *IS* there for a reason--you can get your best gas mileage using it. Personally, I get my best gas mileage when freeway driving at 75-85 in 6th gear. I have NOT been able to match my MPG with 5th gear at ANY SPEED when compared to the above.

mdc
04-25-06, 04:13 PM
heh ... I just re-read the post and realized that it sounded like I was launching the car in 4th ... I would never do that ...

What I meant was that with the CAGS on, it forces a 1-4th shift ... is it better to just keep it in forth or shift down to 3rd?

I guess the rule of thumb is looking like as long as I am keeping it above 1500 rpm, I should be fine either way, I was just wondering what people do in general.

I have the CAGS eliminator ... just need to find a free day to take it to my buddy's shop to get underneth the car ... I assume this is easy enough for me to do without a professional ... heh

heavymetals
04-25-06, 04:27 PM

As for the mods ... I don't think I will do anything other than tires and the CAGS eliminator I already bought ... I know everyone says it is impossible not to mod, but I bought a motorcycle for the modding bug ... it's a lot cheaper :D

Keep saying that all the way up to the day your thinking of selling the bike for more mod money.:stirpot:

Glad you have that kind of self control.

I sure don't.:eek:

mdc
04-25-06, 05:13 PM
Glad you have that kind of self control.

Well, maybe a few mods the wife can't detect too easily ... :thumbsup:

StealthV
04-25-06, 05:13 PM
In 6th gear at 30 mph, the V gets phenomenal fuel mileage.

Hold it to the floor from that speed until it can't pull itself anymore...it's fun. Really.

mdc
04-25-06, 05:32 PM
I actually got very lucky this afternoon

I left the house after trying to figure out a few settings (just a side note, I live in Canada and my speedo is in km/h) ... what I didn't realize is that I changed the setting to mph ... the display doesn't change (still showing a 0-300 circle) ...

So I am driving away from my house at what the speedo was showing as 60. The speed limit on the street is 60km/h and I was going at 60mph (I felt like I was going fast, but with a long empty stretch, I guess I wasn't paying that much attention) ...

Anyway, I finally look down and see that the car is in mph instead of kph and immediately slow down ... 1 minute later I pass a speed trap ... luckily I was slow enough not to attract the attention of the radar gun ... if I got caught going the speed I was going, it would have been 3 or 4 points and at least $350 in fines. Speed in this car is very decieving at the engine noise in the cabin is fairly subdued ...

Pulled over about a km down the road and changed it back to kph ... hah

KTSwanson
04-25-06, 05:57 PM

As for the mods ... I don't think I will do anything other than tires and the CAGS eliminator I already bought ... :D
I said that when I bought my car...:)

Koooop
04-25-06, 06:26 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-left.gifQuote:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right.gifhttp://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-by-left.gifOriginally Posted by mdchttp://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-by-right.gifhttp://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/misc/quotes/quot-top-right-10.gifThanks for the replies everyone ...

As for the mods ... I don't think I will do anything other than tires and the CAGS eliminator I already bought ... :D

I said that when I bought my car...:)

I said that when I bought my car too! But..

I did the CAGS and I got sucked into a Magnaflow exhaust...

YOU GOTTA DO AN EXHAUST! These cars sound fantastic with some pipes.

I've managed to dodge the bullet on any other improvements only because of the promise of an LS7 in '08.

Florian
04-25-06, 09:46 PM
Keep saying that all the way up to the day your thinking of selling the bike for more mod money.:stirpot:

The exact reason my 2000 Harley is for sale...the need for speed. :crybaby: :thumbsup:

F

50 4Ever
04-26-06, 12:53 AM
The exact reason my 2000 Harley is for sale...the need for speed. :crybaby: :thumbsup:

F

FLSTC by chance?

Dick's06Vee
04-26-06, 06:14 AM
I agree on keeping the stock shocks. I've got mine stored in the basement. I figured I paid for them, might as well keep them. Ya never know, maybe you'll sell the car to someone that loves the performance but wants a little softer ride.