: Car Farts After WOT

blunted
04-25-06, 10:21 AM
..Well kinda, after WOT or just heavy throttle when I come to a stop I can smell rotten eggs. From what i've heard this is caused by a rich condition, but what is the best way to tell if :

A) My Cat is bad
B) Injector Problem
C) Maybe FPR? (doesn't leak when keyed ON but once in a while get a hot start)

Odin8
04-25-06, 10:55 AM
You can also try changing the brand of gas you use. Some brands have slightly different mixtures and levels of sulphur in the gas, and it can make a difference. For example, it seems when I use Sunoco, my car smells like crap all the time. If I switch to Mobil, or Citgo, I'll get almost no smell at all. I've been getting the smell more then I like lately though, no matter what gas I use. So kind of curious what could be wrong, could a bad EGR valve cause this as well?

blunted
04-25-06, 11:02 AM
Interesting! Sunoco 93 is in there right now. Its almost lunch, so i'm gonna go fill up with Shell V-Power and do a WOT on the way home and see if it smells.

However I still suspect something else is up.. :hmm:

fpmesiIII
04-25-06, 04:10 PM
lets just hope it is the bad gas. :eek: haha no pun intended. :D

blunted
04-27-06, 12:32 PM
I'm happy to report.. no more farting! Guess it was the gas, but for future reference how do you tell if the Cat is bad? That thing is all rusted and just doesn't look too good.

Ranger
04-27-06, 09:23 PM
Usually if you bang on it with a rubber mallet and it rattles, it is shot. Often it will plug the exhaust and the car won't run or you may get a catalyst inifficient code.

davesdeville
04-28-06, 02:40 AM
^On a 96+ that is.