: Do I hear another rear end going bad?

NH Vrod
04-25-06, 08:25 AM
So the V came out of storage last weekend after 6 month, felt good to take her out for a ride! But that did not last long, during the winter I went through it looking for issues.
The only real issue I found was the pinion seal on the new rear end was leaking, not a big deal dropped it off last week and got it back Friday.

Now it has this chunk every time I take off or when I cost and then step on it, every time I shift. I can just set there and let the clutch out and in with out even moving and it soundís like the rear end has a bunch of play in it now?

I am not familiar with these style rear ends; do they have to remove the pinion gear when changing the seal?

SM

SBONES
04-25-06, 08:54 AM
i have a little slap nuts going on to...thought it was normal...keep me posted, i would like to know what they do to fix it...thanks.

NH Vrod
04-25-06, 10:07 AM
She will be going in today at 2, will let you know..

NH Vrod
04-25-06, 02:41 PM
SBONES, it was the mounting bolts, the one right above the pinion was loose, very cool easy fix. 130 ftlbs done.
But while under the car I found that the radiator is trash! So back I go Thursday to have that replaced, can't wait till all this shit stops so I can start the mods!!!

SBONES
04-25-06, 07:47 PM
do i need to get the car on a lift to do this...and what size is the bolt.

NH Vrod
04-26-06, 06:33 AM
Yes, you will need to lift the car, not sure of the bolt size 13 or 14 mm, and it is a very hard to get too, having to work around the exhaust.

SBONES
04-28-06, 10:02 AM
all i know is when im in 3rd and 5th its the worst...just getting on the gas it will make that initial clunk noise. will this bolt help that...and can you be alittle more clear on which bolt im looking for...thanks a million, scott

NH Vrod
04-28-06, 10:37 AM
When you are looking up at the rear end the bolt will be on the passenger’s side of the car along the side of the rear end, just behind where the drive shaft/pinion goes into the rear end. The bolt is really long and is kind of on top of the exhaust pipe as it goes by.
Not sure if this is you problem, mine clunked every time I let the clutch out, shifted, took off, it was very loud. You will need some long wrenches to get to it as you will have to work around the exhaust pipe. The spec is 130 ft-lb of torque, but you will not be able to get a torque wrench on it, so pull till it hurts it worked for me.

Hope this is you fix!

Scott.

SBONES
04-28-06, 10:55 AM
thanks...how long of a wrench, im going to go buy one...a foot....no...also my friend as a bay in the ground in his garage...so the car will be on the ground, but ill be under the car looking up..it doesnt have to be lifted does it.

NH Vrod
04-28-06, 12:12 PM
No, you will be all set doing this in a pit. I would suggest looking at it first to determin what you need for tools!

SM

SBONES
04-29-06, 06:17 AM
yo, i did everything as discribed...i saw the bolt and nut...it helped out...but i still have a slight clunk...i guess ill never get rid of it...it took care of the part when i let of the gas....no clunk...just low rpm's in 3rd and 5th...thanks a million for the hepl....scott...just by turning the driveshaft by hand you can make the noise...it looks a bad design at best..while i was playing around...i noticed that the tranny is on the loud side...you can hear shit moveing around in there...:worship: