: autocross tires and wheels

Howard Sharf
04-25-06, 12:52 AM
If I want to autocross with better tires I know the only size available is 245/40-18. In order to get them to work I have to drive around for 50 miles or so to disable the tire sensor system or I can remove the sensors from my regular tires and not have them function at all so I can swap tires at the autocross and not have to drive around. Does this sum it up, and is there anything else to consider. I'm sure there will eventually be stock size tires to choose from and I know there aren't any reasonably priced light wheels yet.

Mutlu
04-25-06, 10:48 AM
Why not just get the Falken Azenis 615s. Great tire at a great price. No need to get new wheels.

I have them and what a difference on the track.

Since you're in Florida you don't have to worry about rain.

thebigjimsho
04-25-06, 01:12 PM
Actually, for autocrosses, the 245/40 18 tire is good because the shorter tire shortens your gearing for improved acceleration. I've changed tires at the track and have driven to the track and the TPS just reads whatever your stockers were at and I could still turn everything off.

And check the classifieds.......

PAW 47
04-25-06, 02:09 PM
Falken Azenis 615s are great! But Kumho V710's are our friends :)

p.s. There was some guy here on the forum trying to get a group buy on some super light weight 18's for the V. I can't remember who it was..may want to try a search

StealthV
04-25-06, 04:57 PM
Actually, for autocrosses, the 245/40 18 tire is good because the shorter tire shortens your gearing for improved acceleration.

Good point - with a 245/40-18 tire, the effective gear ratio goes from a 3.73:1 to 3.87:1. There's a "track star" V owner on the forums running 255/35-18s on road courses for an effective gear of 3.98:1.

Track or street, more gear is fun.

calicadi
04-25-06, 07:41 PM
Falken Azenis 615s are great! But Kumho V710's are our friends :)

p.s. There was some guy here on the forum trying to get a group buy on some super light weight 18's for the V. I can't remember who it was..may want to try a search

Probably me. Contact Jongbloed Racing at 408-776-1380. Ask for Ryan. I have a set with BFG KD's. Six pounds lighter than the stock mounted with Bridgestone runflats. Saves 24 pounds of rotating mass total.

Howard Sharf
04-25-06, 10:19 PM
I will probably run Hoosiers if I can get past driving around for an hour to disable the pressure system. Can stealth v tune for get rid of the tire sensor. Is there a receiver for the tire sensors that can have a switch put on to disable it?

Howard Sharf
04-25-06, 10:26 PM
Also, if you disable the tire pressure system by pulling the fuse that disables it along with the fobs, when you put the fuse back in do you have to relearn the remotes or does it just pick up where it left off.