: Ok...ready to buy my V...need advice

Poopie D
04-24-06, 05:58 PM
Many of you have read my CTS-V worst buying experience ever thread. I have finally found another one that I am pretty much ready to buy and I needs some advice.

1) It is an 05, Lt platinum with ebony interior, 14,000 miles, registered in sep 04. It has the sunroof and and the FG2 shock package. Carfax is clean...one owner. VIN search shows it has been in the shop only once for minor stuff. The dealer is also throwing in the certified pre-owned warranty up to 100k miles. Price: $37,500. Does this seem like a decent price?

2) If I do the deal, I will not be able to pick up for another week. I was thinking about asking the dealership to take care of a few TSB. Which ones should I absolutely ask to be done?

3) The car also has the factory tires and they must be almost finished. Should I also ask the dealer to call Goodyear and try to get a credit for some new ones?

Those are all the questions I have for now...thanks guys!

rand49er
04-24-06, 06:50 PM
Many of you have read my CTS-V worst buying experience ever thread. I have finally found another one that I am pretty much ready to buy and I needs some advice.

1) It is an 05, Lt platinum with ebony interior, 14,000 miles, registered in sep 04. It has the sunroof and and the FG2 shock package. Carfax is clean...one owner. VIN search shows it has been in the shop only once for minor stuff. The dealer is also throwing in the certified pre-owned warranty up to 100k miles. Price: $37,500. Does this seem like a decent price?

2) If I do the deal, I will not be able to pick up for another week. I was thinking about asking the dealership to take care of a few TSB. Which ones should I absolutely ask to be done?

3) The car also has the factory tires and they must be almost finished. Should I also ask the dealer to call Goodyear and try to get a credit for some new ones?

Those are all the questions I have for now...thanks guys!1. Seems like a decent price, and that's about what you wanted to pay as I recall.

2. Have them do the rear bushings for wheel hop, even though they've received mixed results. Would they put the Spectre ones in? Also, there's a TSB on the clutch because a few people have had it stick when shifting at redline (:eek: ). Since I baby my V, mostly, I haven't requested that nor have I had any problems the dozen or so times I've done that.

3. Without a doubt, see what you can do about the tires ... maybe a new set of RSAs?

Additionally, what about a Corsa exhaust, too? (I really like mine ... very civilized.) Am I pushing it? I'm not a very good negotiator, so I never know what I think I can get.

Good luck! You are going to LOVE IT!!!

dqw1
04-24-06, 06:51 PM
#3-Ask for new tires, RS-A 's or GSD3 are a better deal. (If they want to sell the V, I would tell them to replace the F1's) otherwise you will in the near future especially if this will be daily driver. Wish I did then what I know now. Also check the wheels closely when you pick up the car. Look for damage on them and ask for new wheels if you see any damage. Once you leave the lot it might be hard to get your saleman to answer the phone.
Good luck and don't let the excitement of seeing your V blind you from doing a good checkout.

heavymetals
04-24-06, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a decent deal, but I would try to work them for a set of tires. :thumbsup:

dqw1
04-24-06, 06:57 PM
Make the tire issue a deal breaker or maker. Don't drive off with F1's unless you feel like tire shopping within a year.

2004ctsv
04-24-06, 08:24 PM
You may want to measure the tread depth on the tires.

It's a question of safety. The dealer doesn't want to sell an unsafe car that could be in an accident because it his negligence.

T

04-24-06, 08:35 PM
The tires sound like a good place to negotiate...and I like the safety angle.

But if this is the same "close to the border" dealer that played you like a fiddle earlier in the month, then you are on notice. "Screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me."

Venomous-V
04-24-06, 08:43 PM
Hey Poopie: Where are you located? I'V got a better deal on one for you if your in the PA,MD,NJ,DE area!

Flexinator
04-24-06, 09:35 PM
I have been looking at prices and that seems kinda high. One used 2005 w/16k miles at a local Ford dealer listed for 39.900 and actually sold for 34,900. It had some pretty new pirelli's on it and sunroof.
Use the tires and the fact that you saw lower prices on the web as your negotiating points.

Poopie D
04-24-06, 11:55 PM
This is a different dealer in Washington state.

I think the price is a tad high but I do not want to pay to have the car shipped from the south. I would rather pay a bit more to buy from a dealer close to me...that way I can turn around and go home if there is something wrong. The V also seems to be a bit harder to find in the northwest then other areas of the country. This one also has the shock package which adds a few bucks to the value I am sure...

I think I will make the deal if they hook me up with a new set of GSD3's. The fact that the factory tires still seem ok is a good indicator to me that the previous owner did not bag on it too badly! (Apparently he traded it for a XLR-V)

Luna.
04-25-06, 12:23 AM
While the price seems a bit high, it doesn't strike me as being too far out in left field. The 100k warranty is nice, so that is all good.

Personally, I would NOT waste my time with the GM bushings per the TSB to address hop. It did NOT work at all on mine and the results amongst others are varied at best. One thing that almost seems universal, however, is that the SQUEEKING NOISE is beyond ludicrous and NOT worth your effort. I'd install Spectre bushings or go all out and do the KARS Stage III kit or the BMR accessories.

Also, as stated in some of my other posts, I'm not a fan of the GSD3s (I am probably in the minority, but oh well). Based on that, and the fact that NEW Falken Azenis 615s can be had for ~$160 each, I'd pass on the rebate from Goodyear and just work a deal for Falkens immediately. Or get them to decrease the price by ~$600 so you can get new tires. Hell, it's almost worth the price of the tire to watch the guys doing the install struggle to get them on, as the sidewalls are so stiff... :lildevil: I am aware of some other really good tires on the market as well, but for $160/each, that is a hard deal to pass up in my mind.

Have you inquired from this dealer about how friendly/non-friendly they are towards modifications and still honoring warranty work? This is a hurdle that I'd jump over right now, for if there is EVER a time where the purchaser has the power, it's BEFORE the car purchase takes place. Get them to at least make you somewhat comfortable with modifications and go from there.

Kadonny
04-25-06, 09:10 AM
This is a different dealer in Washington state.

I think the price is a tad high but I do not want to pay to have the car shipped from the south. I would rather pay a bit more to buy from a dealer close to me...that way I can turn around and go home if there is something wrong. The V also seems to be a bit harder to find in the northwest then other areas of the country. This one also has the shock package which adds a few bucks to the value I am sure...

I think I will make the deal if they hook me up with a new set of GSD3's. The fact that the factory tires still seem ok is a good indicator to me that the previous owner did not bag on it too badly! (Apparently he traded it for a XLR-V)

Think about the RSA's. With the GSD3's you need a spare.

CIWS
04-25-06, 09:16 AM
Negotiate for a spare and jack also :D

I would get off the F1s if it's going to be something you will drive in the rain /weather. They're great dry pavement tires, but not in the water.

DaveSRX
04-25-06, 10:22 AM
Hey Poopie: Where are you located? I'V got a better deal on one for you if your in the PA,MD,NJ,DE area!

PM sent.