: Steering Damper

Timothy60
04-24-06, 12:09 PM
Why did GM equip 93-96 Fleetwoods with a steering damper? How do you know if it needs replacement?

N0DIH
04-25-06, 12:39 AM
http://www.gofasst.us/steering_damper.htm

This might help.

"....may exhibit a slight steering wheel oscillation/vibration apparent when operated over irregular/rough road surfaces."

Junkman
04-27-06, 11:48 PM
While working on my 1978 Commercial Chassis Caddy today, I noticed that GM installed the steering damper on the steering linkage as standard equipment back then. Junk....

Johnny Bravo
05-19-06, 11:22 PM
I was thinking of adding the steering damper set up to my Buick LeSabre as well.
However, the GM list price for the mounting bracket is now $161, it was $28 a few years ago. Mind you, this is a just a simple stamped steel bracket.:cookoo:

This is no way to run a business, are they trying to discourage people from repairing their old car so they'll buy a new one?
Well, I don't think it's working anymore, because they don't have much worth buying new in my opinion.

That's why vintage muscle cars and such have exploded in price recently. People understand they won't be seeing cars like that again out of Detroit. Oh well.:rant2:

Junkman
05-20-06, 05:59 PM
All the car companies have been raising the price of parts as the vehicles get older for about the last 50 years. It is a marketing ploy to discourage replacement parts being used to keep a otherwise aging car on the road. It also has to do with supply and demand. They don't make parts for cars that are out of production unless there is a specific reason to, such as a safety recall. Try finding a fuel tank for a car that was built beyond 10 years ago..... very hard to do unless it was used in later models.

scurling
05-21-06, 02:56 PM
Johnny: I know what you mean about the prices of our replacement parts. The bracket could be made at home or even by a machine shop for less than $161.00