: 96 sts crankshaft position sensors

steinmetzmr
04-23-06, 09:10 PM
what is the best method to change the crankshaft postion sensors?

:confused:

Loose screw
04-24-06, 11:18 AM
It is probibly easiest to change it from the bottom. It might also help to remove the oil filter temporarily.

steinmetzmr
04-24-06, 03:56 PM
I finally found them (there are two) the front engine mount is right smack dab in the middle of the whole concoction! I can see both clearly from below, but the engine mount seems to be in the way. One bolt and the whole assembly should slide out the shaft is about 3 inches long and I don't want to break it off in the hole or snap the new one putting it in. It is supposed to take .6 hours to do each one and a war. quote of .4 hours. There must be some sort of trick to do it! Thanks for the help I'll try the oil filter thing it at 39% oil life left anyway (better than 98% left I guess).

AlBundy
04-24-06, 08:03 PM
Well I need to change mine as well. I will look in my FSM and see if there is a better way of changing it other than that you might want to ask ewill3rd about it.

steinmetzmr
04-25-06, 05:31 AM
Let me know what the factory service manual says. I'm new to this forum and don't know if I'm posting in the right area or not. You mentioned I should check with someone, how do I do that?

Mark:confused:

Dadillac
04-25-06, 03:37 PM
I just changed mine in my '02. The cost from www.gmpartsdirect.com was about $77.00 for both. Changing them was a pain. I have rather large forearms, but small wrists and hands (I wear a medium glove). I found the room to work very tight, but doable. If you are an impatient man, definitely have someone do it for you. You need a 10mm socket (preferably 1/4" drive), a universal, long extension (6" will do). First, remove the splash shield from under the car. There are about 12 push/pull fasteners to remove. Then remove the two bolts holding in the oil filter adapter (have a drain pan, as oil will be spilled). Disconnect the wiring connector from the oil pressure sensor. Then remove the bolt for the lower sensor, twist the sensor so you can access the clip for the wiring connector, remove the stupid red tab (I threw mine away afterwards), and remove the connector. Do the same for the upper one, although you shouldn't have to twist it, I don't remember. Put everything back together. Some folks will tell you that you will need to replace the two o-rings that are on the oil filter adapter. Although this is sound safe advice, I didn't replace mine. I have no leaking. I cannot help you with torque settings, I just snugged everything up. Total time (I worked in the dark, trying to hold a flashlight) was about 1.5 - 2 hours. Some of that time was fighting with the flashlight.

Don

steinmetzmr
04-25-06, 06:36 PM
Thank you so much it took a long time to find where the buggers were much less get at them!

Mark