: new 06 diff is in, and whinning

c5racr1
04-23-06, 09:43 AM
got new 06 diff, and it is winning with 200 miles. very loud between 70 and 80. guess i need another one, or a different car alltogether, this is getting real old real fast.

ace996
04-23-06, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear, man. Seems like they didn't get this one right either. The good news is that they don't seem to be failing(blowing-up) but as the whine gets worse, its just a matter of time.

Try changing the fluid to synthetic, Royal Purple or Redline, as that often helps with reducing the whine. You could also try a heavier fluid.

Don't feel so bad, though, my diff is whining at pretty much all speeds...sounds like I have a Maggie now...both on accel and decel.

Good luck,
ace

LV_V
04-23-06, 01:50 PM
Same story here. Now have a few thousand on the '06 diff. Its a serious piece of work from GM haha. How do they even get away installing such a piece of crap on a Cadillac??!!

blown black caddy
04-23-06, 09:57 PM
If it makes you feel better I went out in the garage today and noticed a small drop of oil on the floor right where my differential sits when the car is in the garage! :mad:

verbs
04-24-06, 01:48 AM
My 06 rear is leaking somewhere, and it whines and clunks. So sick of this bullshit.

CTSVONFIRE
04-24-06, 09:02 AM
Mine is an 04. The diff has been replace once b/c the case cracked. But neither time have I ever heard a loud whinning coming from the diff. Do people ride down the road w/ the radio off trying to find something wrong w/ the car. The radio will take care of most of it.

ace996
04-24-06, 05:28 PM
Mine is an 04. The diff has been replace once b/c the case cracked. But neither time have I ever heard a loud whinning coming from the diff. Do people ride down the road w/ the radio off trying to find something wrong w/ the car. The radio will take care of most of it.

Even hear it over the radio...differing notes depending on speed. Sometimes I try to match the note of the whine to the song....

Perhaps your one of the lucky ones, good for you if that's the case :thumbsup: . I just spoke to someone with an '04 today...60K miles...just started hearing the whine, I was amazed. He must be the all-time ironman of original diffs. Amazing.

For most of us, it's just a matter of time.

Good luck.
-ace

AmesCTS-V
04-24-06, 06:46 PM
I'm starting to feel left out. My diff is the factory one and it doesn't make a sound.

V-Max
04-24-06, 07:00 PM
got new 06 diff, and it is winning with 200 miles. very loud between 70 and 80. guess i need another one, or a different car alltogether, this is getting real old real fast.

That is definitely sucking!

I remeber when mine was making 50 MPH whine, then started another after 20 MPH. Sure glad I Corsa om when I traded it for an '05 GTO. :)

Norm - down trading...
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=261;st=225